Acorn 7 4+
Image editing for humans
Flying Meat Inc.
### The Flying Meat Inflation Act of 2023 Super Sale ###
Inflation blows. So we're reducing the price of Acorn by 25%. But don't delay as this sale won't last forever.
Say hello to Acorn, the flagship and award winning image editor from Flying Meat.
Everyone needs to edit photos at some point, but not everyone has the time to learn complicated super pricey photo editing software. This is why we created Acorn. Add text and shapes to your digital pictures. Combine images together to create a photo collage. Work with layers to touch up your favorite photos or make something entirely new from scratch. Do all this and more with Acorn!
# A Short List of What's New in Acorn 7
* Universal Binary that runs natively on your Intel and Apple Silicon based Macs.
* Choice of having a unified window with all the inspectors combined into a single window, or floating palettes like traditional image editors.
* Über Export. A new export workflow gives you options for specifying a color profile (like CMYK or Gray), more formats to save as (now including Animated GIFs and WebP!), precise file size of your export, and a live preview even for PDFs.
* New Zoom and Navigation Inspector gives an overview of your whole image with the ability to drag a viewport around to change the view in your canvas.
* Perspective Fix & Crop tool will help you fix images where there are problematic perspective distortions.
# What can Acorn do? Here’s a glimpse at a handful of Acorn’s capabilities:
* Text on a path. Create a path with any of Acorn’s shape tools, then add text!
* Enhanced clone tool to clone across layers, images, and even clone group or shape layers
* Remove image backgrounds using the magic wand selection tool or instant alpha eraser tools
* Combine images together to create collages or photo layouts
* Create logos and other vector designs using the path text tool or circle text
* Correct blemishes or image imperfections using the clone tool
* Easily adjust the contrast, highlights, shadows, and midtones in your images using levels and curves
# Powerful Image and Layer Capabilities
* Over 25 different non-destructive blending mode options
* Unlimited layers and group layers
* Transform, rotate, move, lock, merge, delete, and duplicate your layers
* Snap to grid, guides, selections, shapes, layers, and the canvas
* Supports image depth of 8, 16, and 32 bits per channel
# Filters, Layer Styles, and Effects
* Unlimited combinations of layer styles and non-destructive filters possible
* Tilt shift, vignette, drop shadow, distortions, & blurs
* Over one hundred additional effects
* Non-destructive curves and levels to adjust individual color channels
# The Tools You Need
* Clone, stamp, dodge, burn, blur, eraser, and smudge brushes
* Brush designer for control of softness, spacing, and dozens of other brush refinements
* Rectangle, elliptical, freehand, polygonal, and magic wand selection tools for making precise selections
* Quickmask mode to paint a selection
# Vector Prowess
* Stars, arrows, bézier curves, circles, lines, and rectangles
* Shape processor to move, tweak, generate, and adjust shapes in a stackable non-destructive interface
* Boolean shape operations include union, intersect, difference and exclude.
# Sharing & File Support
* Edit images from Photos, share images to Photos, Facebook, Twitter, and more
* Import JPEG, JPEG 2000, PNG, TIFF, GIF, PDF, PSD, BMP, PSD, RAW, PICT, SVG, TGA, ICO, WebP, and AI (with PDF compatibility turned on)
* Export JPEG, JPEG 2000, PNG, TIFF, GIF, Animated GIF, WebP, PDF, PSD, BMP, SVG, TGA
* CMYK export, single channel grayscale, and 8 bit dithered PNG files.
* RAW image import of 32, 64, & 128 bit images
* Create layered screenshots of every window you have open
* Web export with wide gamut detection
* Perform batch image editing using Automator, AppleScript, and JS
* Editable image metadata
Acorn’s offers extensive online documentation, tutorials, a forum, and responsive support staff. You don’t have to learn by yourself. If you ever run into any issues, please let us know by writing to firstname.lastname@example.org.
### New Screenshot Stuff in 7.4.2
* Delayed layered screenshot: Hold down the option key when choosing the Image ▸ New Image from Layered Screenshot menu item and Acorn will wait an extra 10 seconds before taking the screenshot. This is awesome if you want to quickly switch to another app and open up a menu item.
* New Shortcuts action to take screenshots. Layered or not, with or without shadows, only for a certain app, and even with a little delay. MacOS 11+ only.
* New AppleScript command "screenshot" which you can use to take a layered screenshot, with various options including an option to only capture a specific app. Here's an example: tell application "Acorn" to screenshot app "Mail" delay 4 with layers and hiding shadows. You can also use "bundle identifier" instead of "app" to target a specific app name.
### Fixes and Other Stuff Pertaining to the Clone Tool in 7.4.2
* New option "Hide clone source widget" in the palette, which does exactly what it says on the tin.
* Pressing the shift key now shows the correct stamp preview.
* Other little tweaks, such as updating the hint text correctly.
# New in 7.4:
### Big Clone Tool Improvements. The clone tool has been updated to give you a preview of what your brush stroke will look like before drawing. In addition, a new on canvas widget is available which lets you know exactly where the source is coming from, which you can move around to pick a new clone source. Pressing the option key to reassign a clone location still works as usual. And just like the previous iteration of the clone tool, you can clone from other images or layers into any bitmap layer.
### Corner Radius for Bézier Curves and Stars: Bézier curves where two straight lines join can now have a corner radius! This is pretty cool, and a great way to round out a shape for a logo or for a sign. The star shape also gets to join in on the fun.
### Super accurate colors via floats in the color palette: What's the point of having access to over 281 trillion colors (79 octillion for 128 bit images!) if you can't actually set them with super decimal precision? Now you can with Acorn's custom color picker. Switch between 8-bit, Percentage, and now 32-bit Float for displaying and setting your RGBA values.
### New Command Bar actions: "Hide All Layers" and "Show All Layers"
### New AppleScript command "append filter", which can be used to add a non-destructive Core Image filter (with optional parameters) to the currently selected layer. See our full release notes on our website for all the gory details.
### New AppleScript command "do command bar action" which will do a fuzzy string search of the given command, and then invoke it. For example:
`tell application "Acorn" to tell document 1 to do command bar action named "Fill Layer With Stroke Color"` will call the "Fill Layer With Stroke Color" action. The following example will also call it, since fuzzy string matching is used:
`tell application "Acorn" to tell document 1 to do command bar action named "Fill Layr str"`
# Fixes in 7.4.2
* Fixed a problem where the quickmask tool wouldn't work correctly on M1 & M2 Macs with a 64 bit image.
* Fixed a redraw problem when entering full screen when the grid was showing (and you had "Super scrollable canvas" turned off).
* Fixed a problem where the perspective transform tool wouldn't give a correct preview.
If you like Acorn, we'd love it if you could take a moment and give it a nice review. It helps Acorn get noticed, which helps everyone in the long run.
Ratings and Reviews
The image editor for the rest of us, Acorn is one of the fastest and easiest ways to crop, resize, and apply effects and filters to photos. But it also has enough pro features to handle almost any task—along with comprehensive online tutorials to show you how.
After dumping Photoshop, I tried Pixelmator, Affinity Photo, and Acorn. Of those three, Acorn is my favorite by far. Sure, it's not nearly as full-featured as PS but it's also not astronomically priced. App is very affordable considering what you get. Does almost everything I need it to do. Developers are fantastic. Very responsive. Will continue to be my go-to app for editing images.
Does everything I need
I thought I needed the big boy photo manipulation app, but it turns out Acorn has everything I need (and still plenty more). Very happy to be able to support this developer and not have anxiety about where my next version of PS is coming from.
Data Not Collected
The developer does not collect any data from this app.
Privacy practices may vary, for example, based on the features you use or your age. Learn More
- Flying Meat Inc.
- 19.4 MB
- Graphics & Design
- Requires macOS 10.14 or later.
English, French, German, Japanese, Polish
- Age Rating
- Copyright © 2007-2023 Flying Meat Inc.
Up to six family members can use this app with Family Sharing enabled.