Celebrate Flying Meat’s 20th Anniversary with us! For a limited time, we’re reducing the price of Acorn from $39.99 to $20.99 to mark this milestone.
Say hello to Acorn, the flagship and award winning image editor from Flying Meat.
Everyone needs to edit photos at some point, but not everyone has the time to learn complicated super pricey photo editing software. This is why we created Acorn. Add text and shapes to your digital pictures. Combine images together to create a photo collage. Work with layers to touch up your favorite photos or make something entirely new from scratch. Do all this and more with Acorn!
# A Short List of What's New in Acorn 7
* Universal Binary that runs natively on your Intel and Apple Silicon based Macs.
* Choice of having a unified window with all the inspectors combined into a single window, or floating palettes like traditional image editors.
* Über Export. A new export workflow gives you options for specifying a color profile (like CMYK or Gray), more formats to save as (now including Animated GIFs and WebP!), precise file size of your export, and a live preview even for PDFs.
* New Zoom and Navigation Inspector gives an overview of your whole image with the ability to drag a viewport around to change the view in your canvas.
* Perspective Fix & Crop tool will help you fix images where there are problematic perspective distortions.
# What can Acorn do? Here’s a glimpse at a handful of Acorn’s capabilities:
* Text on a path. Create a path with any of Acorn’s shape tools, then add text!
* Enhanced clone tool to clone across layers, images, and even clone group or shape layers
* Remove image backgrounds using the magic wand selection tool or instant alpha eraser tools
* Combine images together to create collages or photo layouts
* Create logos and other vector designs using the path text tool or circle text
* Correct blemishes or image imperfections using the clone tool
* Easily adjust the contrast, highlights, shadows, and midtones in your images using levels and curves
# Powerful Image and Layer Capabilities
* Over 25 different non-destructive blending mode options
* Unlimited layers and group layers
* Transform, rotate, move, lock, merge, delete, and duplicate your layers
* Snap to grid, guides, selections, shapes, layers, and the canvas
* Supports image depth of 8, 16, and 32 bits per channel
# Filters, Layer Styles, and Effects
* Unlimited combinations of layer styles and non-destructive filters possible
* Tilt shift, vignette, drop shadow, distortions, & blurs
* Over one hundred additional effects
* Non-destructive curves and levels to adjust individual color channels
# The Tools You Need
* Clone, stamp, dodge, burn, blur, eraser, and smudge brushes
* Brush designer for control of softness, spacing, and dozens of other brush refinements
* Rectangle, elliptical, freehand, polygonal, and magic wand selection tools for making precise selections
* Quickmask mode to paint a selection
# Vector Prowess
* Stars, arrows, bézier curves, circles, lines, and rectangles
* Shape processor to move, tweak, generate, and adjust shapes in a stackable non-destructive interface
* Boolean shape operations include union, intersect, difference and exclude.
# Sharing & File Support
* Edit images from Photos, share images to Photos, Facebook, Twitter, and more
* Import JPEG, JPEG 2000, PNG, TIFF, GIF, PDF, PSD, BMP, PSD, RAW, PICT, SVG, TGA, ICO, WebP, and AI (with PDF compatibility turned on)
* Export JPEG, JPEG 2000, PNG, TIFF, GIF, Animated GIF, WebP, PDF, PSD, BMP, SVG, TGA
* CMYK export, single channel grayscale, and 8 bit dithered PNG files.
* RAW image import of 32, 64, & 128 bit images
* Create layered screenshots of every window you have open
* Web export with wide gamut detection
* Perform batch image editing using Automator, AppleScript, and JS
* Editable image metadata
Acorn’s offers extensive online documentation, tutorials, a forum, and responsive support staff. You don’t have to learn by yourself. If you ever run into any issues, please let us know by writing to email@example.com.
# New Stuff
* Shortcuts support: Apply filters and filter presets, crop, flip, resize, rotate, auto enhance, change color profiles, new image from clipboard, and trim images. We're also taking requests as well so if there's something you'd like to see, let us know!
* New text box vertical alignment options: top, middle, and bottom.
* New "Auto Enhance" item under the Layer menu for bitmap layers. This action will improve skin tones, saturation, contrast, shadows and repair red-eyes or LED-eyes.
* The Histogram filter (which shows a histogram for the current layer) now has a "High fidelity" checkbox. This uses all the pixels in the layer to calculate a histogram, at the cost of being a little slower.
* New option in Layer Export where you can crop a layer's bounds to the canvas size.
* New "Lossless" option when exporting images as WebP.
* New "Matte" filter which will add a colored background to a layer with any transparent areas.
* You can now choose "Bicubic" as a scaling algorithm when resizing an image.
* New "make new document from Clipboard" AppleScript command.
* New Command Bar actions: "New Image From Selected Layers" and "Delete Hidden Layers".
* New layers list contextual menu: "New Image From Selected Layers".
# Fussy Stuff
* Double clicking a label in the RAW Import window will reset its corresponding slider / value. This is similar behavior to what happens for the text palette labels (if you were unaware of that, now you know!).
* New Fussy Stuff preference to always open up windows to their maximum size.
* Auto-scroll is re-enabled when moving bitmap layers around on the canvas.
* The "1Bit" filter now has an option to remove transparency from pixels that aren't 100% opaque.
* Text palette settings will sync between windows when each image has it's own palette connected.
* Added a "Tablet pressure changes opacity" option in the brush palette.
* Acorn will no longer warn you about the size of your image (if it's really big) when resizing it to be something smaller than it currently is (really really big).
* The Generate Shapes processor now has options to enable/disable stroke and fill when making new shapes.
* When merging a layer down, the top layer's name is now used for the combined layer's name.
* Various tweaking of the Automator actions so they work better with MacOS 12 Monterey. If you're using any in a production environment, make sure to test them in case any changes had an impact on your workflows.
# Bug Fixes
* Fixed a problem where you couldn't drag a layer to the Trash in the Dock to delete it.
* Fixed a problem where angle fields for negative numbers in the filter palette were not formatted correctly.
* Fixed a problem where the color loupe might not work from the Fill… window.
* Fixed a problem where certain felt and watercolor brushes couldn't be used as an eraser.
* Fixed an problem where the "Cumulative" option of the Rotate shape processor wasn't saved with .acorn files.
* Fixed an issue where the Image menu might take a second to come up on some ARM Macs with weird video cameras attached.
* Fixed a possible crasher with when picking a color from the Fill… dialog.
Ratings and Reviews
After dumping Photoshop, I tried Pixelmator, Affinity Photo, and Acorn. Of those three, Acorn is my favorite by far. Sure, it's not nearly as full-featured as PS but it's also not astronomically priced. App is very affordable considering what you get. Does almost everything I need it to do. Developers are fantastic. Very responsive. Will continue to be my go-to app for editing images.
Fast, Reliable and Easy to Use
This is a great replacement for opening and quick edits on graphics files. It's lighning fast to open the files, intuitive and well designed. A great investment.
Love this App
Use PhotoShop when I have too...but for the day to day stuff, this App rocks!
Data Not Collected
The developer does not collect any data from this app.
Privacy practices may vary, for example, based on the features you use or your age. Learn More
- Flying Meat Inc.
- 17.9 MB
- Graphics & Design
- Requires macOS 10.14 or later.
English, German, Polish
- Age Rating
- Copyright © 2007-2022 Flying Meat Inc.
Up to six family members can use this app with Family Sharing enabled.