Acorn is on sale for 50% off for a limited time. Grab it at a super discount while you can!
Say hello to Acorn, the flagship and award winning image editor from Flying Meat.
Everyone needs to edit photos at some point, but not everyone has the time to learn complicated super pricey photo editing software. This is why we created Acorn. Add text and shapes to your digital pictures. Combine images together to create a photo collage. Work with layers to touch up your favorite photos or make something entirely new from scratch. Do all this and more with Acorn!
# A Short List of What's New in Acorn 7
* Universal Binary that runs natively on your Intel and Apple Silicon based Macs.
* Choice of having a unified window with all the inspectors combined into a single window, or floating palettes like traditional image editors.
* Über Export. A new export workflow gives you options for specifying a color profile (like CMYK or Gray), more formats to save as (now including Animated GIFs and WebP!), precise file size of your export, and a live preview even for PDFs.
* New Zoom and Navigation Inspector gives an overview of your whole image with the ability to drag a viewport around to change the view in your canvas.
* Perspective Fix & Crop tool will help you fix images where there are problematic perspective distortions.
# What can Acorn do? Here’s a glimpse at a handful of Acorn’s capabilities:
* Text on a path. Create a path with any of Acorn’s shape tools, then add text!
* Enhanced clone tool to clone across layers, images, and even clone group or shape layers
* Remove image backgrounds using the magic wand selection tool or instant alpha eraser tools
* Combine images together to create collages or photo layouts
* Create logos and other vector designs using the path text tool or circle text
* Correct blemishes or image imperfections using the clone tool
* Easily adjust the contrast, highlights, shadows, and midtones in your images using levels and curves
# Powerful Image and Layer Capabilities
* Over 25 different non-destructive blending mode options
* Unlimited layers and group layers
* Transform, rotate, move, lock, merge, delete, and duplicate your layers
* Snap to grid, guides, selections, shapes, layers, and the canvas
* Supports image depth of 8, 16, and 32 bits per channel
# Filters, Layer Styles, and Effects
* Unlimited combinations of layer styles and non-destructive filters possible
* Tilt shift, vignette, drop shadow, distortions, & blurs
* Over one hundred additional effects
* Non-destructive curves and levels to adjust individual color channels
# The Tools You Need
* Clone, stamp, dodge, burn, blur, eraser, and smudge brushes
* Brush designer for control of softness, spacing, and dozens of other brush refinements
* Rectangle, elliptical, freehand, polygonal, and magic wand selection tools for making precise selections
* Quickmask mode to paint a selection
# Vector Prowess
* Stars, arrows, bézier curves, circles, lines, and rectangles
* Shape processor to move, tweak, generate, and adjust shapes in a stackable non-destructive interface
* Boolean shape operations include union, intersect, difference and exclude.
# Sharing & File Support
* Edit images from Photos, share images to Photos, Facebook, Twitter, and more
* Import JPEG, JPEG 2000, PNG, TIFF, GIF, PDF, PSD, BMP, PSD, RAW, PICT, SVG, TGA, ICO, WebP, and AI (with PDF compatibility turned on)
* Export JPEG, JPEG 2000, PNG, TIFF, GIF, Animated GIF, WebP, PDF, PSD, BMP, SVG, TGA
* CMYK export, single channel grayscale, and 8 bit dithered PNG files.
* RAW image import of 32, 64, & 128 bit images
* Create layered screenshots of every window you have open
* Web export with wide gamut detection
* Perform batch image editing using Automator, AppleScript, and JS
* Editable image metadata
Acorn’s offers extensive online documentation, tutorials, a forum, and responsive support staff. You don’t have to learn by yourself. If you ever run into any issues, please let us know by writing to firstname.lastname@example.org.
# New Stuff and Changes
* New option in export for PNG files: Crush / übercompress. This toggle, which has always been on by default, will allow you to turn off the advanced compression routines for PNG files. This is awesome if you just want a quick and dirty PNG and don't care about file size.
* Updated shape handle cursors for @2x displays.
* In the shape inspector, clicking on the stroke checkbox no longer sets a default stroke value to all the selected shapes. Now it just keeps whatever value was already there.
* Updated Polish localization.
* New hidden pref for controlling the resolution of PDF data on the clipboard: defaults write com.flyingmeat.Acorn7 newDocPDFClipboardResolution 600 - where 600 is the DPI you would like the PDF to be rasterized at.
# Bug Fixes
* Fixed problem where dragging and dropping an Illustrator .ai file into Acorn's canvas would cause it to lock up.
* Fixed an issue when toggling between floating inspectors where the current tool wouldn't always load.
* Fixed a little UI glitch when using the keyboard while changing the quality of a JPEG in the export window.
* Fixed a problem where the tool icons in the bezier menu in the tools inspector wouldn't match the current dark/normal appearance settings.
* Fixed a problem where option-dragging a text shape to duplicate it wouldn't copy over the stroke settings.
* Fixed a crasher when using the Smudge tool on M1 Macs.
* Fixed a problem where the values from quality slider for HEIC files in the Save As… sheet wasn't being passed along to the encoder.
* Fixed a problem where the Reset All Image Metadata button in the File Info window might not work.
* Fixed a crasher under certain conditions when switching the appearance of Acorn.
If you like Acorn, we'd love it if you could take a moment and give it a nice review. It helps Acorn get noticed, which helps everyone in the long run.
Ratings and Reviews
After dumping Photoshop, I tried Pixelmator, Affinity Photo, and Acorn. Of those three, Acorn is my favorite by far. Sure, it's not nearly as full-featured as PS but it's also not astronomically priced. App is very affordable considering what you get. Does almost everything I need it to do. Developers are fantastic. Very responsive. Will continue to be my go-to app for editing images.
Waited this single window style for a long time.. heh finally. good job.
Great potential, but still has issues
I've never been a fan of Acorn's "all in one palette" UI design so the change to a slightly-more-conventional-but-still-not-cluttered UI is a huge win.
My current grip is that I cannot scale an image non-proportionately. What?
Data Not Collected
The developer does not collect any data from this app.
Privacy practices may vary, for example, based on the features you use or your age. Learn More
- Flying Meat Inc.
- 17.3 MB
- Graphics & Design
- Requires macOS 10.14 or later.
English, German, Polish
- Age Rating
- Copyright © 2007-2021 Flying Meat Inc.
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.