Entirely revised and updated to include the most comprehensive and accurate picture of the English language today, the Advanced English Dictionary and Thesaurus represents the authority of dictionary apps.
The intelligent search features, leading to a rich word list with special language notes, cross-curriculum words and the prompt navigation - all contribute to your unique user experience. Nouns, verbs, adjectives and adverbs are grouped into sets of cognitive synonyms, interlinked by means of conceptual-semantic and lexical relations. In addition to the straightforward definitions the dictionary shows how each word is linked to other words in terms of synonyms, opposites and similar words, but also hyponyms and hyperlinks within the group.
The WordNet concept had become the staple of quality language apps:
* Straightforward and precise definitions of over 140,000 with more than 250,000 links and 1.4 million words
* Synonyms, antonyms, similar and related words to help improve your writing and speech
* Hypernyms (more generic words), hyponyms (subordinate words) and meronyms (part names)
* Examples illustrate how words are used and show typical constructions and collocations
* Offline audio support (internet connection is NOT required)
This app is tailored to professionals, students, and academics, as well as anyone who needs a comprehensive and authoritative dictionary of current English at work or at home.
LATEST APP UPDАТES:
• Learn in style with any of the four colorful new themes – The colorful layout will turn your learning experience into an enjoyable routine. Customize your dictionary and benefit from the cheerful mood your favorite color brings you.
• Dive right into the intricacies of the language - With new and convenient Home page, sleeker and more intuitive visual layout, as well as innovations in the speed of searches, you can get to the desired entry faster than ever.
• Translate and learn as you speak by using Talk & Translate – Use the speech recognition & text-to-speech app by downloading it for Free from the App Store. The great synergy between the two apps will be there to help you optimize your studies.
SEARCH TOOLS - quickly find words with the clear, functional, and easy-to-use interface.
Designed to provide the most comprehensive search experience, the dictionary combines several search tools to match or predict what are you looking for, including:
• Search autocomplete helps you find words quickly by displaying predictions as you type.
• Keyword lookup allows you to search within compound words and phrases.
• Camera search looks up words in the camera viewfinder and displays results in seconds.
• Voice search helps you find an entry when you don’t know how a word is spelled.
Looking for a specific word but don't know how it's spelled? We've got you covered with our automatic ‘Fuzzy filter’ to correct word spelling, as well as ‘Wild card’ ('*' or '?') to replace a letter or entire parts of a word.
LEARNING TOOLS - engaging features that help you further enhance your vocabulary. Designed to give you freedom to structure your studies, the dictionary combines several learning tools to help you be more organized, including:
• ‘Favorites’ that allow you to create custom folders with lists of words.
• Recent list which helps you to easily review looked-up words.
• Swipe-to-delete functionality in the Recent and Favorites menus.
• Word-of-the-day option to teach you a new word every day.
Feel excited by the new word or definition you just learned? Share your discovery with friends on social media, email or any other option available on your device.
Bug fixes and performance improvements
Ratings and Reviews
Correction and Apology for my earlier “WARNING!”
I accidentally made a severe critical review of this developer. Another developer, NOT MobiSystems, Inc., had left users high and dry by not updating an expensive dictionary app to be compatible with iOS 11. I could not write a critical review because their app had been removed from the app store. I downloaded this app (incorrectly thinking it was by the same developer) to have a platform to complain about the developer. I now realize MobiSystems, Inc., is not the developer of the app I was aggravated about. I am very sorry for my mistake.
Disappointed in the Recent Upate
I have greatly enjoyed using this app for over 8 years, being able to access it from anywhere at any time without having to depend on the Internet or wi-fi. The word games provide an excellent means of learning new words and keeping current with changes to familiar words. Being able to check spelling and definitions of words during a game has been helpful. The pronunciation feature is a plus, enabling me to check a pronunciation "on the fly." However, with the recent update, I can no longer access the dictionary or any of its wonderful components without access to the Internet, which is disappointing, as sometimes the Internet is blocked at some locations or is simply not available. I am disappointed that you have chosen to change your app so that it, in essence, denies access to users who may not have or cannot access the Internet. I am sure I am not the only person who would appreciate it if you would eliminate that restriction. - The Thinker
Not great; a printed dictionary has more life
This app isn’t great. Its ads impede most of the app’s functions, I think, and of course users can opt to purchase the full version to remove those pesky ads. However before I buy an app, I’d like to at least see how well it works, or in this case, how well it may serve my needs. And this just doesn’t measure up.
I’ve tried using this on multiple occasions but each time I search for a word’s definition or synonym, the app lags as both it & I wait for an annoying ad to load. Several times the app has kicked me out completely or frozen, which definitely defeats the app’s purpose. I’m not looking for an app that takes more time to search for a word/offer synonyms than it takes for me to do the legwork on my own. At this point, I’d rather search for the word myself and figure out the synonyms on my own, or by using another app. It’s far too frustrating and not at all worthwhile.
It’s a good idea, yes, but it so poorly executed that it’s just a waste of time.
- MobiSystems, Inc.
- 201.8 MB
Requires iOS 9.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch.
- Age Rating
- © 2018 MobiSystems, Inc.
- In-App Purchases
- Advanced English Dictionary and Thesaurus $0.99
- Advanced English Dictionary and Thesaurus - Voice Search $0.99
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.