*** AeroWeather: for pilots, aviation enthusiasts, and everyone who is serious about the weather!
*** Current and precise weather conditions (METAR) and forecasts (TAF).
AeroWeather Lite provides quick and intuitive access to METAR and TAF for airports worldwide. Data can be shown in its original (raw) format or as fully decoded and easy understandable texts. AeroWeather Lite is helpful for weather preflight-briefings, but also to just get very precise weather. All weather data is cached for offline access. There are many settings for units and format of METAR/TAF available.
The app features a built-in airport database, which includes basic airport data like sunrise/sunset, twilight times, timezones etc.
AeroWeather Lite offers built-in groups for nearby stations, today widget (pre iOS 14), and earthquakes. Depending on your needs, groups can be shown or hidden in the main list view.
METAR alert notifications** is an helpful feature to stay up-to-date. Define multiple alerts for each station with the following criteria: flight rule (US NOAA), wind speed, temperature, pressure, present weather, visibility, and ceiling (BKN and OVC). Notifications will be sent to your device if the criteria is met (e.g., when wind is greater/equal 10 kts, flight rule becomes IFR).
Dedicated METAR/TAF** access is optionally available. METAR/TAF data comes primarily from a certified ANSP (air navigation service provider) and is provided reliably and fast from our dedicated, redundant servers (indicated by blue checkmark underneath METAR/TAF).
Please consult our web-site for a full description of all features. In order to keep AeroWeather Lite free we added a small ad banner at the bottom of the screen. Consider getting AeroWeather Pro, subscribe the additional features**, or remove the ad banner through one-time unlock* to have an ad-free app.
* Additional functionality which needs to be unlocked (one-time purchase). These purchases are not transferable between Lite, Pro, and Mac.
Additional features which generate recurring operation costs for us will be offered within a subscription. The following features are enabled while 'First' subscription is active:
- Dedicated METAR/TAF data source
- Alert push notifications
- D-ATIS (bigger US airports only)
- Area Forecast Discussions (currently US only)
- RVR data (US and Germany only)
- Home Screen Widgets for METAR, Plot, Meteogram
- Imagery and Charts (requires 'Captain' subscription)
- SIGMETs (requires 'Captain' subscription)
- METAR/TAF from ADS-B receiver thru GDL 90 protocol (requires 'Captain' subscription)
When using AeroWeather Lite also the following features are enabled:
- Remove ad banner
The subscription varies in time periods (1 month, 12 months). The subscription is valid in both AeroWeather Lite and Pro. Cross app subscription support is only available if iCloud (with the same Apple ID) is enabled. Previously purchased unlock features are not affected and will work with or without subscription.
Auto-renewal may be turned off at any time by going to your account settings. A payment will be charged to your iTunes account at the end of the free trial period. Your iTunes account will be charged for renewal within 24 hours prior to the end of the current period. No commitment - you can cancel any time.
New in Captain Premium Plan:
- Added precipitation radar for UK in Imagery group
- Added composite reflectivity radar for Continental US in Imagery group
- Added Canadian GFA for "Clouds and Weather" and "Icing and Turbulence" in Imagery group
- Minor improvements (localizations; layout)
- Minor bug fixing (e.g., METAR/TAF today widget)
- Database update (2023-11-30)
Ratings and Reviews
It’s on a fine line.
This app was nearly perfect. They added a few features like the widget and a nearby tab. Both are cool, but I don’t want the widget and I’m stuck with the tab. Unfortunately they have made the app a bit bloated, it doesn’t run as good as it used to. The tabs at the top are not removable. That combined with the inevitable add banner, makes the airport list only three or so depending on how you read your weather. It’s still super useable, but it’s on thin ice if they go more glitz and less user adjustably on the next one it’s gone. The aviation community wants stuff that works not stuff that’s pretty.
Used to be Good
Like others have already mentioned, this used to be my go to app for METARS. Had the Pro version without any subscriptions and now with this latest update, the Pro app was taken away with an expectation to re-purchase a subscription to enable features like “dark mode.” The developer says they need to cover recurring costs. Dark mode integration and bug fixes are considered “recurring costs” now? I think not. The features section conflicts between the App Store and what’s listed in app, so you can’t tell with 100% certainty what you’ll get if you shell out the cash. It seems like the focus these days is on subscription gain versus a coherent package and solid product.
The app has always been buggy with multiple crashes, antiqued data at times, and features that wouldn’t work. As a certificated private pilot, I don’t trust this app for any serious flight planning; only for the anecdotal “quick look” at data. The developer should seriously reconsider how they have this app structured and realign their priorities. Disappointed to see where this app has gone.
1. Program is exceptionally built.
2. Offers numerous features that are highly beneficial for forecasters.
3. Superior and more accurate information compared to other apps in the market.
4. Prompt and effective customer support. Upon encountering an issue, support staff provided immediate assistance and walked through the solution process after receiving the error log.
5. User-friendly interface once familiarized with.
1. Presence of multiple versions of the app (Lite, LITE, and Pro) can be confusing for some users.
- Initially, the user experienced challenges with the widget function, which was later discovered to be a misunderstanding on their part. After guidance from the app's support, the issue was swiftly resolved.
- Due to the remarkable support and the wealth of information the app provides, the user has revised their review from 3 stars to 5 stars.
Data Used to Track You
The following data may be used to track you across apps and websites owned by other companies:
Data Not Linked to You
The following data may be collected but it is not linked to your identity:
- User Content
- Usage Data
Privacy practices may vary, for example, based on the features you use or your age. Learn More
- Lakehorn AG
- 66.2 MB
- Requires iOS 14.0 or later.
- Requires iPadOS 14.0 or later.
- iPod touch
- Requires iOS 14.0 or later.
English, Danish, Dutch, Finnish, French, German, Italian, Japanese, Norwegian Bokmål, Polish, Portuguese, Russian, Simplified Chinese, Spanish, Swedish
- Age Rating
- © 2008-2023 Lakehorn AG
- In-App Purchases
- First (Yearly) $4.99
- Captain (Yearly) $7.99
- First (Monthly) $0.99
- Captain (monthly) $1.49
- Remove Ad-Banner $2.49