** Affinity Designer supports iPad Pro, iPad Air 2 & 3, iPad Mini 5 and iPad (early 2017 onwards). Please note that older iPads are not supported. **
Affinity Designer is the fastest, smoothest, most precise vector graphic design software available for the iPad. Whether you’re working on graphics for marketing materials, websites, icons, UI design or just like creating cool concept art, Affinity Designer will revolutionise how you work.
Built with input from some of the world’s leading designers and based on Apple Design Award-winning technology, Affinity Designer for iPad takes all the power and precision of our outstanding desktop app and converts it into a stunning immersive experience.
Optimised for iPad
• Metal-accelerated to achieve blazing-fast performance
• Sensitive to pressure, tilt and angle, Affinity Designer harnesses the full power and precision of Apple Pencil
• Full iCloud drive integration allows for seamless file management, storage and sharing
• Panning and zooming is always live at 120fps
• Live gradients, transforms, effects and adjustments
• Optimised for documents of any complexity, zoom to over 1,000,000% for absolute precision
• Live pixel and retina view of vector artwork, wireframe view, split screen mode
• Seamless switching between tools and editing modes for frustration-free design
Precise vector tools
• Rock solid vector tools that work just the way you want them to
• The best pen tool, node tool, curve editing and smart shape tools available
• Pencil and brush stabilisation for drawing super-smooth curves freehand
• Non-destructive Boolean operations
• Live effects, blend modes and image adjustments
• Incredibly smooth gradient and transparency controls
Raster or vector, you decide
• With a single tap switch between vector and raster workspaces
• Use the strengths of vector and raster behaviours for the best of both worlds
• High quality raster tools for texturing, masking and finishing artwork. Create your own brushes too
• True creative freedom not found in other apps
• Flexible text handling including comprehensive support for OpenType
• Artistic text and text frames
• Full control over character and paragraph styles
• Flow text along any drawn path
Built for your workflow
• Unlimited artboards
• Saveable history with alternate futures
• Customisable keyboard shortcuts
• PSD, AI, PDF, EPS, SVG, JPG, TIFF and EXR file support
• Advanced grids, snapping and alignment
• Linked symbols and constraints
Perfect colour and output
• Professional CMYK, LAB, RGB and Grayscale colour models
• Full 16-bit per channel editing
• End-to-end ICC colour management
• Slice export for exporting multiple elements in a single click
• Live pixel preview to see exactly how your design will export
• Support for multi-page Affinity Publisher documents
• Various stability and performance improvements
• Shortcut modifiers added when keyboard is attached
• Node tool now has transform mode for more freeform editing of nodes
• Node tool now allows for lasso selection of nodes
• Alignment widgets have been added for much faster alignment operations
• All new isometric controls - allowing you to create and edit directly in any isometric plane
• Add multiple strokes and fills to a single shape with the new Appearance Studio
• New point transform tool, allowing you to scale and rotate objects from any node
• Many grid improvements, and new column guides
• Many PSD import / export improvements
• Layers Studio now includes options for transparent backgrounds and colour tagging.
• Pixel persona now supports Sub Brushes, symmetry (up to 32-way) and on-the-fly nozzle rotation
• Alternate futures for document history have been added
• 100s of other bug fixes and improvements - too many to list!
Ratings and Reviews
This app makes the iPad Pro the premiere platform for digital illustrators and artists that it was always meant to be. Affinity Designer is a first-rate vector drawing program, comparable to Adobe Illustrator, but carefully designed for a screen-only experience. When combined with Savage’s Procreate (for digital painting) and Serif’s own Affinity Photo (for photo editing), Designer makes the iPad Pro a high-powered studio tool, capable of creating the type of artwork previously only possible on a high-end Mac — but now that artwork can be done in a natural, direct way with a drawing tool that feels like a drawing tool.
The depth of this software is really amazing. Out of the box, it allows you to use multiple art boards, layer styles, raster painting (better than Illustrator’s, by a long shot), first-rate text tools, plus a host of other powerful abilities all enhanced by incredible speed and what seems to be infinite or near-infinite zoom.
Granted, this is 1.0 software, and I’ll be lying if I said it was perfect. Too many useful tools are hidden behind flyout menus. Zoom to fit, and zoom to 100% definitely need easier access (can I suggest imitating Procreate‘s pinch-to-fit function?), and while it’s great that you can import fonts, you need to be able to batch import take advantage of the function. Still, this app feels like it’s taken my iPad Pro from 0 to 100 instantly. This is going to change my workflow forever.
I have been a longtime Adobe Illustrator user and recently downloaded this app for iPad Pro in a search for a replacement. It was the first app I tried, and I have had a hard time convincing myself that continuing the search is a good idea. Of course the app has some limitations, and there is definitely a bit of a learning curve getting used to where things are and how they work. Once you get going, though, you’ll quickly realize that it’s an amazingly powerful app. I still shake my head in disbelief at its price.
I have had one small glitch with placing an image crashing the app, but that’s not a deal breaker for me. The much bigger deal to me has been the clunkiness of some of the gestures. They seem to operate so smoothly in the tutorial videos, but when I use them myself node handles jump around and disappear, and I’m left unsure if I achieved the result I wanted. When trying to constrain size, other things happen, too. It’s a bit weird, but I’m hoping it’s an issue that will be resolved, or that it’s just part of the learning curve and I’ll get the hang of it.
All-in-all, this app is super duper powerful for iPad Pro, and I highly recommend. I’m eager to try the Mac version when I upgrade my laptop in a few months, too. I think my search is over and Affinity Designer is my new go-to design tool.
Great app, Affinity can free you from Adobe!
These apps are great! I will update this review as I use the program, but I am THRILLED so far. I have just bought the desktop app a day after I bought this for iPad, and plan to buy Photo as soon as I find need of psd replacement. I should point out that this app also has pixel features, so it is a mixed medium program.
After that A+ review, I have a complaint. I am a senior designer, and speaking as a professional, I hate the way the iPad version saves files. I found it difficult to save versions, which is standard practice. I am sure I will get a work around, but then this happened: I “closed” a file from the documents page, and it DELETED IT PERMANENTLY. I lost a days work, the whole file. I have it saved as a png, which I can salvage, but I have NEVER heard of an app CLOSING a file actually DELETING a file. CLOSE and DELETE do not have the same meaning. Sheesh. (still an A+)
- Serif (Europe) Ltd.
- 1.1 GB
Requires iOS 11.1 or later. Compatible with iPad.
English, French, German, Italian, Japanese, Portuguese, Russian, Simplified Chinese, Spanish
- Age Rating
- Rated 4+
- © 2019 Serif (Europe) Ltd
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.