Air Display lets you use a spare Mac’s screen as an extra display for your main Mac.
It's easy to use! Just launch this app on your spare Mac, then wirelessly connect to it from the free host app on your main Mac, to instantly expand its screen real estate. You can also connect with Ethernet, Thunderbolt, or USB-C.
IMPORTANT: This is NOT the free Air Display host software that you need on your main computer. You can download that at getairdisplay.com. This is the client app that turns a Mac into a second monitor for another computer.
— FEATURES —
• Drag windows, apps, or control palettes from your main screen to give yourself more room to work
• Use up to 4 devices simultaneously to extend or mirror your computer
• Choose to run full screen or in a window
• Either extend your screen to get more room to work or mirror to share your screen with an audience
• Connect via Wi-Fi or over Ethernet
— INSTALLATION —
You’ll need the free Air Display host app (from GetAirDisplay.com) installed on your main Mac, and this Air Display client app running on the Mac you want to use as an extra screen.
• Purchase this app on the Mac you want to use as your second display
• On your main computer, go to getairdisplay.com and install the free host app
If you want to use your iPad or other mobile device as your second screen, you do not need to purchase this app. Air Display for iOS is available in the iTunes App Store (and you’ll still need the same free host software from getairdisplay.com on your main computer).
— COMPATIBILITY —
• Both computers must be on the same Wi-Fi network, or connected via Ethernet, Thunderbolt, or USB-C
• Mac client app: iOS 6 and above
• Mac host: macOS 10.8 and above (macOS 10.13.4–10.13.6 not supported)
• The Air Display Host is not compatible with Windows
• Fixed some stability issues, including a couple of crash bugs
• Built for 64-bit Macs
• Updated the instructions to remove mention of the old Windows host
Be sure to update the host software to the latest version. The host software changes frequently.
Do you like Air Display? Please leave a review in the Mac App Store.
Questions? Email us at email@example.com. We can help.
Ratings and Reviews
Entirely unusable in 2018
Idk if changes to newer versions of the OS have made this worse or what, but it is complete garbage. Don't understand how it could ever have gotten any 5 star reviews. It works fine when you just have an empty desktop on the second display, the mouse movements are fairly fluid and the lag is there but manageable. As soon as I open any app, even just safari, the lag becomes astronomical, like 2 seconds per keypress or mouse movement. Doesn't matter if I have the resolution set to the lowest setting of only 1080x1920.
This is bordering on just complete fraud, the app is completely unusable for the stated use. Will definitely be marking as a fraudulent charge with my credit card company if I don't get a refund from this company directly soon.
Does not work very well.
I was expecting, after reading the reviews here, that a thunderbolt 3 connection between my iMac Pro and my MacBook Pro would be fine to resolve the lag.
Nope. The screen (an extension of my iMac Pro on my MacBook Pro) was horribly laggy. Every 3 seconds or so it would freeze for a second, and then unfreeze. Totally unsuitable for anything other than basic text editing - and even then I wouldn't reccomend it.
Worst 20$ ever spent.
Great app, great support
I purchased version 2 last week, and had some issues. I contacted the developer's support email, and Pip in Tech Support put in an embarrassing amount of time with me. Just a few days later, they released a new version that addressed my issues. It works great! My MacBook Pro is now a two-screen workstation when I use my iMac screen as a monitor. It's pretty awesome really.
- Avatron Software, Inc.
- 2.3 MB
OS X 10.6.3 or later, 64-bit processor
English, Dutch, French, German, Italian, Japanese, Korean, Portuguese, Russian, Simplified Chinese, Spanish, Swedish
- Age Rating
- Rated 4+
- © 2011-2018 Avatron Software, Inc.
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.