Airmate is a free and easy to use flight planning and weather app for pilots, including many social sharing features.
Thanks to Airmate flight planning form, you will get instant access to airport data and aviation maps, up to date weather and NOTAMs.
IFR and VFR airport plates are freely available in US (FAA charts), all Europe, and more than 200 other countries. Many of them are georeferenced and could be overlaid on the aviation chart. A powerful Plate Manager allows to download in advance all airport plates in a country, they could be easily printed and viewed.
During the flight, the moving map will display the aircraft location along the route, show airports and aeronautical data details, warn you if your planned route is crossing restricted areas. A profile view is available to display terrain elevation, crossed area and forecasted weather across the route. Airmate includes a worldwide aeronautical database updated free of charge with airports, navigation beacons, waypoints, airways, obstacles, regulated and restricted areas. Topographic maps of numerous countries may be downloaded free of charge, as well as additional aviation map overlays such US Sectionals or IFR enroute charts. When coupled with an external ADS-B traffic detector, Airmate will display nearby traffic on the moving map and receive FIS-B weather.
Thanks to the Auto Route feature, you could search and select the best route for your flight, and then file your VFR or IFR flight plan (in the USA using your http://1800wxbrief.com account). Once filed, your flight plan could easily be managed, delayed or cancelled.
Airmate will also record your flights and allow to replay them later or export the flight path in gpx format, you could take pictures from the app during flights
A Satellite map display mode in flight planning or replay mode allows to familiarize with significant landmarks.
Airmate will save planned and flown flights, user waypoints and user aircrafts in the cloud and sync them between your iOS devices.
Airmate brings numerous social features to the community. Pilots may leave ratings, tips and comments to share their experience with fellow pilots, and report fuel prices and handling fees. They could find friends, instructors, flight schools, aviation events and aircraft to rent near their home airport or any visited airport. A planned flight may be shared with other pilots by indicating the number of seats available for additional passengers.
Airmate may be connected to most flight simulators to keep flying skills sharp.
Continued use of GPS running in the background can dramatically decrease battery life.
New features include:
- Vertical navigation: you could indicate the altitude of every leg of your route, either in swiping up or down a waypoint in the terrain profile view, or during route edition by adding a suffix after a waypoint with speed and altitude, such LUC/N0150F140
- optional Military subscription now available to view military frequencies, military approach charts as well as other military data depending on the country (NOTAM, enroute or Low Flying charts).
- a scratchpad is now available to quickly write down and review clearances, ATIS and other information.
- pictures and additional documents (such landing fees, touristic information, regulations and so on) are now available for selected airports.
- updated optional FLARM library for glider traffic detection using a supported ADS-B receiver (such uAvionix Sky Echo 2).
- ETE are now displayed with a precision up to the second in the navlog, to better cater to the needs of military pilots and civilian pilots participating in competitions.
- it is now possible to download again purchased commercial maps no longer current, even when they have been replaced by a new version.
- embeds a worldwide aeronautical database at Airac cycle 2008
- various small improvements and bug fixing
Ratings and ReviewsSee All
Great Backup for Student Pilot
I’m a Student Pilot with low hours and have played with AirMate on a couple of flights. Recently, I flew a solo 135 mile cross country with it and the Dual 160 GPS for the Bluetooth. I tried to use it only as a backup, but it was hard to do. Pilotage and Dead Reckoning seems to want to take the backseat, when you are able to see exactly where you are and if on or off course. Still learning how to use it the easiest and best way, but I like it and for sure, the free price is very attractive.
Developer Response ,
Many thanks for your positive review! We are happy you enjoy the app, and are working to bring new features and a new improved map, while keeping the app simple to use and of course free. Safe flights!
Less is more
Sometimes less is more! Works well- price is right. Some features of ForeFlight are not there- but this app works great.
Developer Response ,
Many thanks for your review, we are happy you enjoy the app! We are constantly improving the app with new features, don't hesitate to contact us at email@example.com to share with us the features you would like to be added. Stay safe.
Finally a free app that works!
Great, simple VFR chart app. I’m amazed at how well this works - even how they integrated street and VFR maps at different zoom levels. My only gripe is the charts don’t seem to update in the background. Not a big deal since they’re only updated every few months. I would have been happy to pay a few bucks for this.
Update: I had to deck a couple of stars. Many of the plates are inaccurate or out of date. I actually got screwed up at an airport yesterday when the ATC controller gave me a runway I wasn’t expecting (27 vs 23).
Developer Response ,
Many thanks for your kind appreciation. Could you inform us at firstname.lastname@example.org of which airport / plate was outdated? The FAA plates are always up to date on our server and the plates choice allows you to update them. Are you sure you have clicked on the button to update the plate to latest version? If you do not update the plates at every cycle, the app may show you the last version you updated.
- Myriel Aviation SA
- 253.8 MB
Requires iOS 9.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch.
English, French, German, Spanish
- Age Rating
- This app may use your location even when it isn't open, which can decrease battery life.
- © 2016 Myriel Aviation SA
- In-App Purchases
- Airmate Pro version $9.99
- Flight plan filing token $0.99
- Air Million VFR Chart 2017 France-Belgium-Luxembourg-Swiss $24.99
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.