Airspace is a free iOS app that allows you to participate in Airspaces created with Autopilot. Airspace allows multiple devices to share telemetry in real-time, including both location and altitude information. If a device is connected to an aircraft, it will also share the aircraft telemetry with the other devices in the Airspace.
Once connected, Airspace will continue to run even when the app is in the background. Background execution enables use cases where it is desirable to lock the device screen, such as an athlete performing an action sport.
There are currently two types of Airspaces: Peer-to-Peer and Network. Peer-to-Peer Airspaces have limited connection range, but lower latency. Network Airspaces have unlimited connection range, but may have higher latency.
There are many possible use cases for Airspace, including but not limited to:
- Using the location of an iPhone as the Focus Subject where the iPhone is attached to an athlete
- Using the location of an iPhone as the Follow Leader on a wifi-only iPad
- Using the barometric altitude of an iPhone as the Altitude Reference on an older iPad without a barometer
- Using the location of an aircraft as the Focus Subject for a second aircraft (chase plane)
- Using the location of an aircraft as the Follow Leader for a second aircraft (formation flying)
Updated to use Hangar servers
Ratings and Reviews
Another game changer - nothing like it out there
While this is not a feature for the first time flyer, it's simply amazing to see in action. No other 3rd party solution for any quad offers anything close to what Airspace can do.
Airspace is at its most impressive when it's run as a feature under Autopilot. However, as a free app that can be easily installed on a friend's IOS device, it provides an easy way to track, follow, or focus on a person, biker, surfer, etc.
Check out the video tutorials and read up on Airspace in Flight School to learn more how to take advantage of the feature before putting it to use. But, be prepared to be amazed.
Just what the doctor ordered
Going on a ski trip next week and my buddies need this
5 thumbs up.
- Auto Flight Logic LLC
- 26.5 MB
Requires iOS 9.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch.
- Age Rating
- Rated 4+
- This app may use your location even when it isn't open, which can decrease battery life.
- © 2017 Hangar Technology
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.