Allowance for YNAB is a companion app to the You Need a Budget service that allows you to select the categories you are most interested in and display them in places where you can, at a glance, see your available balances and make better spending decisions. Allowance for YNAB can be viewed from your lock screen via a Today Widget or on your Apple Watch as a complication. Not to mention your categories are featured prominently within the app so you can quickly get in and get out. Allowance for YNAB will also alert you when your balance has increased or when you're out of money. If you have people in your life who just want to know "How much money do I have right now?" Allowance for YNAB can help. Whether that be the allowance of your kids or your fun money, it's only a glance away.
Also, please note that Allowance for YNAB is in no way associated or owned by YNAB. We just like the service a lot.
A few new features and bug fixes in this version.
-Add multiple categories at once.
-Reworked some of the settings view.
-A better tip interface.
Ratings and Reviews
Very good start
Update: to developer, is it possible to add dark mode, at least for the widget?
First Pros. Great interface. Beautiful widget. Awesome work part of YNAB’s API competition.
Now improvement requests and suggestions:
1. Bug Fix: Ensure regular background refresh of categories. Else amount left for spending reflects wrong amount. Mostly it’s ok, but have run into issue before. I see you have an update to the app, so if this bug is already fixed, please ignore.
2. Request: iCloud Sync support. Have the metadata sync. Still should have user log in to YNAB to each device, but categories already added in one device, automatically added and arranged for widget in all device.
3. Suggestions: for categories that rolls over money from last month, allowance % reflects differently than what I would expect. Example: I have set allowance of $25/mo for Fun. Last month, I only spent $20. So this month, I have $30. Then I spend $5. So I have $25 left. I would expect I have 100% allowance left. But app would say I have 80% left. It’s just a personal preference to see calculation in the form total money left/money allowed this month
Developer Response ,
Thanks for the feedback! Regarding your first point, the app is configured to refresh as often as possible, but the device ultimately determines when that happens via an algorithm that the device controls unfortunately. I wish I had more control over it, but I'm limited by what Apple provides me. iCloud sync is something I've been on the fence about and have heard differing opinions. Some people want different categories on different devices and others would like them to sync. It would definitely have to be an option if it was added in the future. Thanks again!
Perfect Addition to Official App
This app is exactly what is missing from official YNAB, super useful. Does this happen to be OS on GitHub? I’d love to do a PR with an extra option around the Pacing feature. What I’m thinking would make it even better is being able to select a payday date and payday frequency and have it adjust the “Available per day” so there is both an “Available per day until end of month” and “Available per day until next paycheck”. Or just looking at the next scheduled TBB inflow transaction to make it happen. “Available per day until next scheduled inflow.” Something along those lines. If it’s not OS can this be a feature request?
Great companion app and brings the info I need when and where I need it quickly.
One idea/request -tick marks on the ring that indicated Goals. Now that we can do weekly spending budgets, it would be cool to see ticks on the ring to know if you went under/over for the week.
Thanks for spending the time on creating what’s looks like a non-profit app. 🙌
No Details Provided
The developer will be required to provide privacy details when they submit their next app update.
- Carbonite Studios LLC
- 27 MB
- Requires iOS 12.0 or later.
- iPod touch
- Requires iOS 12.0 or later.
- Age Rating
- © Copyright 2018 Carbonite Studios LLC
- In-App Purchases
- Tip Jar $1.99
- Tip Server Costs $6.99
- Tip A Little Extra $3.99
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.