Solve the mystery behind the suspicious death of Jeremy Hartwood! Inspired by H.P. Lovecraft, Alone in the Dark® was originally released for PC in 1992. This action-adventure horror 3D game was the first of its kind inspiring future franchises in the Survival Horror genre.
Complete challenges and puzzles deep within the lugubrious Hartwood mansion to make it out alive.
Choose to play as the private detective, Edward Cornby, or Jeremy's niece, Emily Hartwood, with new controls fitted for your mobile device.
Experience the horror now on iOS!
- Bug Fixes
- Fixed control layout for iPhone 4S
Ratings and ReviewsSee All
Messy controls, glitches
I'm a big fan of the original game, and I really wanted to like this port. Problem is, this is not a game that's easy to translate to iOS. The controls are awkward, but the worst part is the broken "sprint" function. Good luck trying to get it to work, because there's no consistency to when it does. It works when it wants to. The glitches aren't major, but are enough to distract you from the game.
Overall, this could be a great port, but the messy controls almost ruin the experience.
S+ for initiative. About performance issues:
At first I want you to have my sincere thanks for bringing this old but very important for its genre game on iOS. But still this port needs some serious improvements. Here are some great suggestions what to fix:
- Do something about controls. Make them more adequate. I know you are trying to keep the game the way it was back in 1992, but ,since it's not MS-DOS(PC), I don't think people will complain about few new buttons that would replace some "older" ones. That especially goes to the combat part, which is very complicated with touch screen. Not to mention the "sticking" moment. Also make menu buttons tappable, not controlled by arrow buttons. If that means you'll have to change menus' layout, then do it. Just keep the art style. Again, this is not PC.
- Would be nice if you could bring back the details of all 3D objects. Here they have less of them than in PC version.
- Fix the music. Some of music tracks play where they are not supposed to. Music in the beginning actually plays when the doors of Derceto close once Edward/Emily go through them.
- It also would be great if you could add voices that read texts(character info, letters, books, notes)
For now that is all. I sincerely ask you to consider all these moments and do something about them. Thank you for understanding!
Great old survival horror/puzzle game
Playable on the iPad. The original game had pretty hard controls. And it's even harder on the iPad mostly because the controller "button" has to be pressed by multiple fingers to be effective. The double tap to run is very hard to do on a touch screen. Also to turn while running you cannot slide your thumb to the side buttons to turn. You can use a second finger to press the left or right buttons, and that makes the game at least playable. But I imagine that would be too difficult to do on an iPhone. If they lengthened the double tap to run just a bit.. And made it so that the controls would let you turn with a single finger, then this port would be excellent. I still had fun with it. This was probably the first survival horror game ever. And lead to the games like resident evil.
No Details Provided
The developer will be required to provide privacy details when they submit their next app update.
- THQ Nordic GmbH
- 317.4 MB
Requires iOS 6.1 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch.
- Age Rating
- Frequent/Intense Horror/Fear Themes
- Infrequent/Mild Realistic Violence
- Frequent/Intense Cartoon or Fantasy Violence
- ©2014 Atari Europe SA. All rights reserved. Developed by Kung Fu Factory. Alone in the Dark® is a trademark owned by Atari Europe SA. Atari & the Atari logo are marks owned by Atari Interactive, Inc.
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.