READ ANYTIME, ANYWHERE
On the bus, on your break, in your bed—never be without a book. Kindle books you have purchased on Amazon will automatically appear in your app. Kindle Unlimited and Amazon Prime members can select and download Kindle books directly in the app.
FIND YOUR NEXT GREAT READ
• Read the books you buy on Amazon in the Kindle app. Choose from over six million Kindle books (including those with Audible narration), magazines, and comics and start reading in seconds. Explore Amazon Charts best sellers and titles across genres like romance, science fiction, children’s books, self-help, religion, nonfiction, and more—and try any book with a free sample straight from the Kindle app.
• Kindle Unlimited members can enjoy unlimited reading and listening, with the freedom to explore over 1 million titles, thousands of audiobooks, and current magazines.
• Over 1,000 books, magazines, comics, and more included with Amazon Prime.
GO BEYOND PAPER
Turn your iPhone or iPad into a book with the free Kindle app—so you can read anytime, anywhere. Explore these reading features in the Kindle app:
• Read your way. Customize your text size, font type, margins, text alignment, and orientation (portrait or landscape)—and choose whether to turn pages from left to right or continuously scroll. Read comfortably day and night with adjustable brightness and background colors. Go to the Aa menu in your book to get started.
• Look up words, people, and places while you read. Breeze through words you don’t know and characters you can’t remember with the built-in dictionary, X-Ray, Wikipedia lookup, instant translations, and search within your book. Simply tap and hold a word to view its definition, or use the Google and Wikipedia links to get more information.
• Track your reading progress. See what percent of the book you’ve read, real page numbers (for most top titles), and how much time you have left in the chapter or book based on your actual reading speed.
• Bookmark places you want to revisit, and make highlights and take notes throughout your book. Open My Notebook to see all your notes in the same place.
• Hop, skim, and jump with Page Flip. Flip between pages or get a bird’s-eye view of your book with Page Flip—don’t worry, we’ll save your place.
• Zoom in on high-definition color images in Kindle books, magazines, comics, and manga.
• Sync your books across devices. When you’re reading a book, the Kindle app will automatically sync where you left off—along with any bookmarks, highlights, or notes—so you can start reading on one device and pick up where you left off on another.
• When you can’t read, listen. Switch seamlessly from reading your Kindle book to listening to the Audible book, all within the Kindle app.
• Get notified when authors you love have new releases.
- You can now permanently delete content from your library.
- When reading the same book on multiple devices, the Most Recent Page Read from your other devices now appears in Page Flip View and Continuous Scrolling.
Ratings and ReviewsSee All
Love my Kindle
I have been using a Kindle since they first came out and have never looked back. I often read lengthy books and this enables me to do so without carrying around and holding a heavy paperback. I also travel quite a lot and I never have to worry I will run out of books to read. I also love that when I can’t use my reading glasses I can adjust the font and keep reading. It’s easy to find books and I almost always download a sample before buying a book. I can do this just about anywhere I can get a WiFi connection which is very convenient. I have the Kindle app on my iPad under my iCloud account so I have that option for reading as well.
The only downsides are: sometimes I inadvertently touch the screen when putting it down for a moment and press forward or back several pages and it takes me a bit to find where I was reading. I will occasionally actually forget the title of what I’m reading because I don’t see it every time I “open” my book. And it took awhile to get used to not being able to easily flip back to a section of book to reread - my sense of where I am in the book is different from reading a paper book.
These are all very minor issues compared to the ease of using a Kindle. This is one of the best inventions ever!
I have been a kindle app user for many years. There have been improvements to the app that have kept me as a loyal user. Here’s one request I have (and I know it’s an atypical request and it may not ever be fixed but it’s worth asking): I browse titles, download samples, read samples, and naturally highlight and make notes as I read, whether the book is a sample or owned by me; if I like a book and want to read the full book, then I proceed to purchase it; the problem for me (and maybe no one else?) is when I purchase a book, my notes and highlights get deleted because the sample book is removed from my library and replaced with a full copy; but how can I transfer the highlights and notes? Is there a way, and if not, then can I keep the sample as well? The only workaround I can think of is to copy and paste to a document or to screen capture my notes and highlights to transfer to maintain a copy of them. These are tedious workarounds, and would love a solution. Yes, someone might ask, But why are you highlighting and making notes on a sample book? To which my response is, if I’m really into a book, I tend to make notes and highlights which means I will in turn want a full copy, which means I’m losing out on my notes and the moment I had going with the sample copy. This isn’t a high priority request, but would love an alternate workaround or solution. Thanks!
Been using since Kindle began no problems
I am a long term user of kindle. It was the first truly successful e reader. I had searched for and tried other systems. Electronic publishing seemed inevitable and an excellent use of resources. I had a library full of books and was often on waiting lists at the public library. Our family fought over special books and were always losing them. When I found out one book could be read simultaneously by several family members I was hooked. We bought the special kindle readers for all four of us and then added the apps for phones tablets and computers. I have never had a problem managing my library with both free and purchased content. Kudos. Just hope the authors are getting a fair share. Editing at publishing houses is still important but publishers costs should be very much lower with no printing, no paper, no delivery costs. All ads are media driven. Lower production costs should mean lower prices without penalizing the author, maybe even increasing the payments.
In summary, the kindle system has been efficient and bug free for me ever since it began. I still use kindles to read outdoors, and love always having my library with my phone when I am stuck somewhere and need to wait.
- AMZN Mobile LLC
- 148.5 MB
Requires iOS 12.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch.
English, Dutch, French, German, Italian, Japanese, Portuguese, Simplified Chinese, Spanish, Traditional Chinese
- Age Rating
- © 2009-2019 Amazon.com, Inc. or its Affiliates.
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.