Download one of the most complete and intuitive dictionaries today. With more than 70,000 entries you can start exploring the rich heritage of the English language.
The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language is the premier resource for anyone who wants to know precisely what words mean, where they come from, and how to use them effectively. It is renowned for presenting accurate and comprehensive definitions, etymologies based on the latest research and authoritative usage. Regarded as one of the flagship products in Houghton Mifflin Harcourt catalog, the app features advanced search and learning tools designed by a vastly experienced developer.
The very latest database contains 10,000 new words and phrases, over 4,000 dazzling new full-color images, and authoritative, up-to-date guidance on usage, covering:
- Revised definitions in rapidly changing fields such as astronomy and biology;
- Updated geographical entries and maps;
- Enhanced notes on word history, synonymy, and language variation;
- New quotations from classic and contemporary writers;
- Reviewed etymologies that explain word origins and development to reflect the very latest scholarship;
- Many words are traced back to their roots in prehistory through two unique appendixes showing word roots in ancient Indo-European and Semitic languages.
This app is tailored to professionals, students, and academics, as well as anyone who needs a comprehensive and authoritative dictionary of current English at work or at home.
LATEST APP UPDАТES:
• Learn in style with any of the four colorful new themes – The colorful layout will turn your learning experience into an enjoyable routine. Customize your dictionary and benefit from the cheerful mood your favorite color brings you.
• Dive right into the intricacies of the language - With new and convenient Home page, sleeker and more intuitive visual layout, as well as innovations in the speed of searches, you can get to the desired entry faster than ever.
• Translate and learn as you speak by using Talk & Translate – Use the speech recognition & text-to-speech app by downloading it for Free from the App Store. The great synergy between the two apps will be there to help you optimize your studies.
SEARCH TOOLS - quickly find words with the clear, functional, and easy-to-use interface.
Designed to provide the most comprehensive search experience, the dictionary combines several search tools to match or predict what are you looking for, including:
• Search autocomplete helps you find words quickly by displaying predictions as you type.
• Keyword lookup allows you to search within compound words and phrases.
• Camera search looks up words in the camera viewfinder and displays results in seconds.
• Voice search helps you find an entry when you don’t know how a word is spelled.
Looking for a specific word but don't know how it's spelled? We've got you covered with our automatic ‘Fuzzy filter’ to correct word spelling, as well as ‘Wild card’ ('*' or '?') to replace a letter or entire parts of a word.
LEARNING TOOLS - engaging features that help you further enhance your vocabulary. Designed to give you freedom to structure your studies, the dictionary combines several learning tools to help you be more organized, including:
• ‘Favorites’ that allow you to create custom folders with lists of words.
• Recent list which helps you to easily review looked-up words.
• Swipe-to-delete functionality in the Recent and Favorites menus.
• Word-of-the-day option to teach you a new word every day.
Feel excited by the new word or definition you just learned? Share your discovery with friends on social media, email or any other option available on your device.
Get even more with PREMIUM:
• Thesaurus base with audio – Access the full capacity of the app.
• Offline mode - Save words on your device and view them without internet connection.
• Priority support - Get support with priority for any app-related issues.
• No ads – Enjoy an ad-free learning experience.
This app has been updated by Apple to use the latest Apple signing certificate.
•New vocabulary database (2018 edition).
•Four new colorful themes.
•Delete and sort entries with Favorites/Recent list.
Ratings and Reviews
Improved but Kill the Splash Screen
The dictionary content is, of course, the best American language dictionary available. The weakness had always been the shoddy app through which it was published. This new app is improved, and worth the shortcomings of the app for anyone who appreciates nuance, depth, and first rate usage notes of the underlying dictionary.
Feature request: kill off the splash screen. This is an unnecessary delay to getting to content. An ‘About’ option on the main menu is a more appropriate place for this seldom needed information. A user is opening the dictionary for content, not to see the cover again. I thought Apple’s rules for developers prohibited splash screens anyway.
Developer Response ,
Hey, Sorry for the delayed reply to your review.
We appreciate your review and feedback. We cannot kill or remove the splash screen as it is used to show something for the time being that the app loads. :)
yes, this costs money, but you get what you pay for. This app is well worth it. As a native English speaker, I refer to this multiple times a week. My job is not writing, but I do write for in my work and read a lot. Most of the time, I’m looking up words that I come across as I read. I discover the multiple meanings and nuances to words that I didn’t know. Also, I use this app for finding out if I’m using a word correctly. I find that we Americans can use words incorrectly without knowing it, form bad habits. I understand that this is how a word’s meaning eventually morphs, but not always the case. I highly recommend this dictionary and app!
Does not work with iOS 14.6 (UPDATED)
This is very confusing.
There are two different versions of this app, made by different developers: Mobisystems and Enfour.
However, both use the same name and icon.
I had purchased the Enfour version, which had a glitch with the latest iOS updates, now fixed.
But when I first went to update my app, the Mobisystems version got downloaded, which of course would not let me do an inapp restore because I had never purchased that version.
So, if you are having restore problems, or if the app seems to have changed radically, check that the upgrade process gave you the correct version.
You can download a supposed upgrade, but you cannot “restore” your original purchase, so have to pay again. Like others, I have had to repay for this app several times already, and I do not choose to do so again. I went back to the AHD4 version, which works fine and didn’t make me pay again.
No Details Provided
The developer will be required to provide privacy details when they submit their next app update.
- MobiSystems, Inc.
- 68.4 MB
- Requires iOS 9.0 or later.
- Requires iPadOS 9.0 or later.
- iPod touch
- Requires iOS 9.0 or later.
- Age Rating
- © 2018 MobiSystems, Inc.
- In-App Purchases
- American Heritage English Dictionary Free IAP $19.99
- American Heritage English Dictionary Free IAP 2 $9.99
- American Heritage English Dictionary Free IAP 3 $11.99
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.