Get an authoritative and up-to-date dictionary from one of the US’ most trusted language sources, the American Heritage, directly onto your device.
The AMERICAN HERITAGE ENGLISH DICTIONARY is one of the most comprehensive and accessible resources available on any mobile device. This is the perfect solution to use at school, in the office, or at home!
Exhaustively researched and thoroughly revised, the Fifth Edition contains 10,000 new words and phrases, over 4,000 dazzling new full-color images, and authoritative, up-to-date guidance on usage. Thousands of definitions have been revised in rapidly changing fields such as astronomy and biology. Geographical entries and maps have been completely updated, and the dictionary’s signature feature notes on word history, synonymy, and language variation have all been enhanced and improved.
Word meanings are now easier to understand with thousands of new quotations from classic and contemporary writers. Etymologies explaining word origins and development have been recreated or revised to reflect the very latest scholarship. Many words are traced back to their roots in prehistory through two unique appendixes, showing word roots in ancient Indo-European and Semitic languages.
This app is tailored to professionals, students, and academics, as well as anyone who needs a comprehensive and authoritative dictionary of current English at work or at home.
LATEST APP UPDАТES:
• Learn in style with any of the four colorful new themes – The colorful layout will turn your learning experience into an enjoyable routine. Customize your dictionary and benefit from the cheerful mood your favorite color brings you.
• Dive right into the intricacies of the language - With new and convenient Home page, sleeker and more intuitive visual layout, as well as innovations in the speed of searches, you can get to the desired entry faster than ever.
• Translate and learn as you speak by using Talk & Translate – Use the speech recognition & text-to-speech app by downloading it for Free from the App Store. The great synergy between the two apps will be there to help you optimize your studies.
SEARCH TOOLS - quickly find words with the clear, functional, and easy-to-use interface.
Designed to provide the most comprehensive search experience, the dictionary combines several search tools to match or predict what are you looking for, including:
• Search autocomplete helps you find words quickly by displaying predictions as you type.
• Keyword lookup allows you to search within compound words and phrases.
• Camera search looks up words in the camera viewfinder and displays results in seconds.
• Voice search helps you find an entry when you don’t know how a word is spelled.
Looking for a specific word but don't know how it's spelled? We've got you covered with our automatic ‘Fuzzy filter’ to correct word spelling, as well as ‘Wild card’ ('*' or '?') to replace a letter or entire parts of a word.
LEARNING TOOLS - engaging features that help you further enhance your vocabulary. Designed to give you freedom to structure your studies, the dictionary combines several learning tools to help you be more organized, including:
• ‘Favorites’ that allow you to create custom folders with lists of words.
• Recent list which helps you to easily review looked-up words.
• Swipe-to-delete functionality in the Recent and Favorites menus.
• Word-of-the-day option to teach you a new word every day.
Feel excited by the new word or definition you just learned? Share your discovery with friends on social media, email or any other option available on your device.
THE AMERICAN HERITAGE® ROGET'S THESAURUS (*available as an In-App Purchase) offers an intelligent and sensible guide to synonym selection. It provides a wide range of synonyms, ranging from mainstream vocabulary to the colorful alternatives that make English such a rich and versatile language. Thousands of slang, informal, and regional words broaden the coverage even further. Each synonym list focuses on a clear definition that quickly guides the user to the relevant meaning.
This app has been updated by Apple to use the latest Apple signing certificate.
•New vocabulary database (2018 edition).
•Four new colorful themes.
•Delete and sort entries with Favorites/Recent list.
Ratings and Reviews
Great dictionary, but a couple of UI omissions
I've long appreciated the scholarship that goes into the American Heritage Dictionary. The Usage Panel is a great way to examine the state of the language, though I do think it would be improved by the addition of some good corpus-based linguistics. Having that dictionary available on iOS devices is a great form factor and extremely convenient. (I'm also enough of a language geek to enjoy having the appendices containing Semitic and PIE roots -- fascinating reading!)
The app is generally pretty good, and offline access is great! There is, however, one really unfortunate omission, and this is the main thing preventing me from giving the app 5 stars. It's great to be able to browse the dictionary by tapping on words that appear in definitions--but it's really irritating not to have a "back" button! This is particularly true when I've jumped to another entry by mistake. (Swiping from the left just opens the menu, and I don't see an obvious control for this operation.)
Developer Response ,
Thank you for your detailed feedback. We are always trying to answer all users' requests. Please follow our next releases for updates. In the meanwhile, if you have any questions, please contact us directly at: email@example.com
Misleading and Unethical
I love this app, but it’s reviews here are not credible. Often, when I use the app, an intrusive box pops up demanding that I give the app a five star rating. I suppose to get rid of this intrusion I’m to click and comply. I won’t do it, and so have to work past this dishonest, unethical scheme. I really do like the app - just not the people selling it.
Five Star Review
You are very far from five stars. You are nothing more than a desk top dictionary. You forget that you are competing with google and the free dictionary by Farlex. If I can’t spell a word correctly you are no help. Your history and usage of words is skimpy. You make me pay an exorbitant fee periodically to continue to use your app. You are slow sometimes and your request for a five star review every time I open your ap is annoying. Remember I paid as much to use your app as to purchase a hard bound dictionary. For the price I expected a fairly extensive history of words
No Details Provided
The developer will be required to provide privacy details when they submit their next app update.
- MobiSystems, Inc.
- 58.4 MB
- Requires iOS 9.0 or later.
- Requires iPadOS 9.0 or later.
- iPod touch
- Requires iOS 9.0 or later.
- Requires macOS 11.0 or later and a Mac with Apple M1 chip.
- Age Rating
- © 2019 MobiSystems, Inc.
- In-App Purchases
- American Heritage English Dictionary + $4.99
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.