Welcome to Amphetamine, the most awesome keep-awake app ever created for macOS. Amphetamine can keep your Mac, and optionally its display(s), awake through a super simple on/off switch, or automatically through easy-to-configure Triggers. Amphetamine is extremely powerful and includes advanced features for those who need them, yet remains intuitive and easy-to-use for those who don't need all of the bells and whistles.
=== Click to Keep Your Mac Awake ===
Quickly start a keep-awake session from Amphetamine's menu to keep your Mac awake.
• Indefinitely, for a specified amount of time, or until a specified time
• While a file is downloading
• While a specific app is running
During a keep-awake session, choose to allow or prevent:
• Display sleep
• Screen saver activation
• System sleep when built-in display is closed
• Automated mouse cursor movement
• Locking of the screen
=== Advanced Automation ===
Create a Trigger to automatically keep your Mac awake.
• While an external display is connected
• While your Mac's display is being mirrored
• While a USB or Bluetooth device is connected
• While a specific app is running
• While a specific app is running and is frontmost
• While your Mac's battery is charging and/or when the battery is above a threshold
• While your Mac's power adapter is connected or disconnected
• While your Mac has a specific IP address
• While your Mac is on a specific Wi-Fi network
• While your Mac is connected to Cisco AnyConnect VPN service
• While your Mac is using a specific DNS servers
• While headphones or another audio output is in use
• While a specific drive or volume is mounted
• While your Mac's CPU is being utilized to a specific threshold
• When your Mac has been idle for a specific threshold
=== What's the Catch? ===
No catch. Amphetamine is 100% free. It's a gift from me to you. Enjoy!
• No advertisements
• No in-app purchases
• Nothing to unlock/no "pro" version
• No annoying prompts asking you to review Amphetamine
• No links for other paid apps
• No tracking
• No data-harvesting
=== What Else Does Amphetamine Do? ===
Amphetamine is the most powerful and customizable keep-awake utility ever created for macOS. Some other notable features are:
• Lock your Mac's screen after a period of inactivity
• Move the mouse cursor periodically
• Keep your MacBook awake while its display/lid is closed
• Keep your drive awake with Drive Alive
• AppleScript support
• Use your own menu bar icons
• Use your own notification sounds
• Allow your display to sleep while keeping your Mac awake
• Allow screen saver to run after a customizable period of inactivity
• Optional session time remaining display in the menu (with 12/24 hour support)
• Auto-end session if your Mac's battery is low
• Hot key support for starting/ending sessions, enabling disabling display sleep, and more
=== System Requirements + Other Details ===
• Amphetamine requires macOS 10.11 El Capitan or higher; some features require a higher version of macOS
• Amphetamine supports Retina displays and macOS dark mode.
=== Launch At Login for macOS 13+ ===
Apple changed the way apps request to launch at login in macOS 13. Amphetamine 5.3 adopts this new request process. If Amphetamine will not launch at login, please try:
1. Ensure you only have one copy of Amphetamine installed on your Mac and it is located in the /Applications folder
2. Disable the setting in Amphetamine Settings → General → Launch and Wake Behavior,
3. Open the macOS Login Items settings from Apple icon→ System Settings → General → Login Items, and remove Amphetamine from the Open at Login list
4. Re-enable the Launch at Login setting in Amphetamine Settings → General → Launch and Wake Behavior
5. Confirm you see Amphetamine reappear in the Apple icon → System Settings → General → Login Items list
=== Closed-Display Mode on Apple Silicon Macs ===
Apple changed the way Closed-Display Mode works on Apple Silicon Macs. In Amphetamine versions prior to 5.3, Closed-Display Mode on Apple Silicon Macs would fail if you connected/disconnected your Mac from an external power source (charger, display with power delivery, etc.). In Amphetamine 5.3, this issue has been fixed, however, Closed-Display Mode sessions now require 1) installation of a script that Amphetamine will run whenever a Closed-Display Mode session starts/ends, and 2) admin user authentication (Touch ID, Apple Watch, etc.). If you do not want to authenticate each Closed-Display Mode session, choose Skip when prompted to install the script. Closed-Display Mode will still work without the script, but you will experience a Closed-Display Mode session failure if you connect/disconnect your Mac to/from an external power source.
On Apple Silicon Macs, Amphetamine 5.3 will force the built-in display on MacBooks to sleep when folded closed. This is done to prevent display burn-in. Depending on your Mac's security settings, upon waking (opening/unfolding) your Mac's display you may be required to authenticate back in to your user account. Your Mac will stay awake when the built-in display is folded and asleep.
=== Enhanced Process Monitoring on Apple Silicon Macs ===
Previously only available via the companion app, Amphetamine Enhancer, Enhanced Process Monitoring (now called Process Discovery) is included in Amphetamine itself. To enable Process Discovery, go to Amphetamine's menu and choose While App Is Running from the Start New Session menu. Then, click the ( ? ) button, and then the Install the Process Discovery Script button. Once installed, Amphetamine will be able to "see" additional processes running on your Apple Silicon Mac, for use with app/process-based sessions and Triggers.
=== Battery-Related Functions on Apple Silicon Macs ===
Amphetamine's way of detecting whether a Mac was a laptop/had a built-in battery stopped working with the M2 series MacBooks. This issue has been fixed.
=== Other ===
- Changed "Preferences" to "Settings" for macOS 13+
- Added French language (completed by Mathieu Martin)
- Changed shell used for tasks to ZSH for macOS 10.15+ (Catalina)
- Fixed an issue with some process/app-based Trigger sessions not starting
- Fixed an issue with some process/app-based Trigger sessions consuming lots of CPU
- Updated app icon
- Other minor improvements
Ratings and Reviews
Thank you for this indispensible utility!
UPDATE 2: Glad to see that Apple is no longer threatening to pull Amphetamine from the App Store on the absurd ground that it somehow encourages substance abuse. (Given that this has been one of the most popular utilities on the App Store for years, I suspect some junior Apple employee or intern got stuck working over the holidays without adequate supervision.) The developer, who has created this stellar utility and provides regular updates as an ongoing free gift to the Mac-using community (and to Apple), didn't deserve to be treated like this.
UPDATE: I still love Amphetamine! I do have a very minor feature request—would it be possible to add a 90 minutes or 1.5 hours preset to the dropdown menu? It's not that big a deal to set it manually, but a preset would be handy.
Don't let the "price" fool you—this is a polished, indispensible utility that gets updated far more frequently than a lot of paid apps. The developer must have plenty of outside income, because he could easily charge a dollar or two for this and make pretty good money. But as long as he doesn't, we all owe big thanks to Mr. Gustafson for this wonderful gift, especially those of us who are students—we need productivity enhancements and don't have a lot of spare funds to spend on apps.
Developer Response ,
I love it! Very useful.
I honestly love this application. I’ve been using it since Caffeine was discontinued. At first, I thought it was a bad replacement but it turns out to be more fun and customizable. I love that I could change the icon and sounds. My only peeve is that the notification sounds aren’t working for me but I’m not sure why. I highly recommend it to people. I set it at work so I can work remotely without having to manually change my Mac’s system settings.
Edit: Per comment below by the developer, I spoke to him about the notification situation and I’m kind of disappointed that the sounds are completely removed. I undertsand that the menu bar icon indicates whether a timer is active or not, but assume you’re not sitting at your computer and you don’t see the icon, then the sounds would indicate when your computer would go to sleep. This applies to people like me who manually activates timers. Although it says on the changelog that it will be removed and no longer implemented, I really want to make it a suggestion to bring back the sound effects. I took off 1 star for it because it misled me, considering the options for notifications and sounds are still in the app, but no longer functions the way it used to. Again, this is a free app that is made very well so it’s probably a minor complaint to most people.
Developer Response ,
Contact support if you need assistance. I can't help you through the App Store. ❤️
Great, but not sure how "While File is Downloading..." works
First off, I want to say that it's really stupid that Apple took away the separate display sleep and system sleep controls in the Energy Saver preferences. I'm thankful something like this exists.
As for the issue mentioned in the title: that option requires the user to select a file. When I use Firefox, downloads appear as two files: one file has the correct filename, but is 0 KB in size, while the other contains data, but has .part appended to the end of it. I'm not sure which one to open, or if either one will do.
Also, about 3 versions ago, when using Amphetamine on High Sierra, I set it to stay awake indefinitely (but allow the display to sleep), and it still went to sleep (my download was interrupted). I've taken to going in to Energy Saver and preventing the display from sleeping, then turning the display's brightness all the way down, while downloading large files. I haven't tested whether or not I still need to do that. I'm wondering if launching Energy Saver after starting an Amphetamine session overrides some of Amphetamine's session settings? Or if I need to turn off the password requirement when the display sleeps?
Developer Response ,
❤️ Contact support through the app. Happy to answer these questions.
Data Not Linked to You
The following data may be collected but it is not linked to your identity:
Privacy practices may vary, for example, based on the features you use or your age. Learn More
- William Gustafson
- 6.3 MB
- Requires macOS 10.14.6 or later.
English, Arabic, Dutch, French, German, Japanese, Korean, Portuguese, Simplified Chinese, Vietnamese
- Age Rating
- © 2023 William Gustafson