AnkiMobile is a mobile companion to Anki, a powerful, intelligent flashcard program that is free, multi-platform, and open-source. Sales of this app support the development of both the computer and mobile version, which is why the app is priced as a computer application.
AnkiMobile was written by the lead developer of Anki and AnkiWeb, and it has been around since 2010. Beware other apps using "Anki" in their name that have sprung up recently - they are not compatible with the rest of the Anki ecosystem, and they offer far fewer features.
Some of AnkiMobile's features include:
- A free cloud synchronization service that lets you keep your card content synchronized across multiple mobile and computer devices. This makes it easy to add content on a computer and then study it on your mobile, easily keep your study progress current between an iPhone and iPad, and so on.
- The same proven scheduling algorithm that the computer version of Anki uses, which reminds you of material as you're about to forget it.
- A flexible interface designed for smooth and efficient study. You can set up AnkiMobile to perform different actions when you tap or swipe on various parts of the screen, and control which actions appear on the tool buttons.
- Comprehensive graphs and statistics about your studies.
- Support for large card decks - even 100,000+ cards.
- If your cards use images or audio clips, the media is stored on your device, so you can study without an internet connection.
- A powerful search facility that allows you to find cards that match criteria such as 'tagged high priority, answered in the last ten days and not containing the following words', and automatically place them into a deck to study.
- Support for displaying mathematical equations with MathJax, and rendering LaTeX created with the computer version.
- Support for adding images drawn with the Apple Pencil to your cards.
Please note that AnkiMobile is currently intended as a companion to the computer version of Anki, rather than a complete replacement for it. While AnkiMobile is able to display and schedule your cards in the same way the computer version does, certain changes like modifying note types need to be done with the computer software. Add-ons are not supported, so while you can study image occlusion cards created with the computer version, they can not be created within AnkiMobile. For this reason, please start with the computer version of Anki before you think about buying this app.
The cloud synchronization service is optional, and data can also be imported/exported from the app via a USB cable or AirDrop.
Like all apps, AnkiMobile can be purchased once and then used on multiple devices in a household using the same Apple ID. Family sharing is also supported. For information on bulk discounts for educational institutions, please see Apple's Volume Purchase Program.
For more information on AnkiMobile, including a link to the online manual, please have a look at the support page: https://docs.ankimobile.net/
If you have any questions or want to report an issue, please let us know on our support site and we'll get back to you as soon as possible.
- Fix study screen on iOS 12.
- Bugfixes from the latest computer version of Anki.
- Added an option in Preferences>Editing to turn off automatic capitalization.
- Added an option to spread the ticks across the screen for accessibility.
- Added an option to enable legacy timezone handling, for syncing with old Anki clients.
- Added support for x-error in URL scheme.
- Added some support for gamepad controllers with fewer buttons.
- Answer buttons can now be triggered with "hard", "good" etc when using voice control.
- Fixed keyboard shortcuts not working properly on iOS 15.
- Fixed taps in the study screen to cancel a popover being interpreted as a tap action.
- Fixed the navigation bar and bottom toolbar not looking right on iOS 15 (especially for themes like Slate).
- Fixed the keyboard hiding when switching to a different app in multitasking and back again.
- Fixed audio replaying when a recording is cancelled.
Ratings and Reviews
TL;DR: Not the best looking Anki app out there, but it works flawlessly and has really helped my efforts to learn a new language.
I had originally purchased a different Anki app. The other app looked a lot better, but within a few days suffered from syncing issues to the point where it became unusable. I am learning Portuguese, and didn’t want that effort to fail, so I bought this app too. It doesn’t look good, I’ll say that right off the bat. It reminds me of working with Windows 95 applications! Hence why I took away one star.
But.....it works! It syncs perfectly. I love the scratchpad. That allows me to write the word on my iPad using the Apple Pencil before I flip the card, which further helps with memory and also makes sure I get the Portuguese accented characters in the right place. Ironically, I also find that it’s much faster to add new cards in this version than the better looking version I originally purchased. I say ironic as I expected the UX of the better looking version to be better all round, which was clearly not the case. Well done to the developer(s). I’m looking forward to a better looking version in the future. A move from 1995 to 2020 would be welcome :)
The original and the best
The original active recall testing via spaced repetition app. Copied but never duplicated. Originally for PCs only, and always completely free, the developer made this version for iOS for which I will gladly pay to support his efforts. Stay away from the ripoff artists who use the anki name to try to get your money. I like the interface, it’s a “get down to business” interface, with a learning curve. In my experience, those are many times the most useful software. Some other guy left a star off because the icon looked dated and it doesn’t fit with his other icons. I mean, freakin really?!?! Too many developers spend too much time on a slick interface and end up with sloppy functionality.
This software works if you use it. Yes, you will need to read the manual. You may need to learn some Latex. It’s not hard, once you get going. I’m fairly proficient with this software and try to use it daily. As a result, I can give you a 50 word definition of a Poisson Distribution off the top of my head. I never forget birthdays or anniversaries. Plus the looks when you can spout off dictionary definitions of random words (the other day at work I gave definitions of heuristic and algorithm). He looks are priceless.
Support the original who for years did this for free. This is the flash card app for you.
Best flash card app
I use Anki on my tablet, computer, and IPhone. At first I thought that the interface looked outdated, to my surprise this is the best flash card maker out there. I like the fact that you can flip the flash card and still have the ability to type in the answer (in my case I use text to speech) while the words are on the screen and mark it so it goes back in the deck. I wish that it was easier to flip the definition to the front of the card. I also wish that adding audio to the back of the card would play once the card was flipped and the answer was revealed. I enjoy using this app on my PC and being able to add pictures by copying from the search engine images and pasting directly to the card, no longer do I have to save the images to a folder and then upload them to the card. This saves me a ton of time, especially with the sync option on the separate devices. I’ve used study blue and quizlet for years. This app pretty much blows them out of the water. No more ads! Thanks Anki.
Data Linked to You
The following data may be collected and linked to your identity:
- Contact Info
- User Content
Data Not Linked to You
The following data may be collected but it is not linked to your identity:
Privacy practices may vary, for example, based on the features you use or your age. Learn More
- Ankitects Pty Ltd
- 43.2 MB
- Requires iOS 12.0 or later.
- Requires iPadOS 12.0 or later.
- iPod touch
- Requires iOS 12.0 or later.
- Game Controller
English, Arabic, French, German, Irish, Japanese, Korean, Persian, Polish, Portuguese, Russian, Simplified Chinese, Spanish, Traditional Chinese, Turkish, Vietnamese
- Age Rating
- © 2021 Ankitects Pty Ltd
Play this game with your favorite compatible controller.
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.