A guide to the birds, seals, dolphins and whales likely to be encountered on a voyage to the Antarctic peninsula or any other part of the Antarctic continent, The Falkland Islands OR South Georgia. The area covered includes Ushuaia & Beagle Channel, the Drake Passage, the South Shetland Islands, South Orkney Islands, the Falkland Islands, South Georgia and the South Sandwich Island and the Antarctic continent itself.
● Universal app (works on BOTH iPhone and iPad)
● Swipe to move to the next or previous species.
● More than 110 Species found in the region covering birds, seals, dolphins (toothed whales) and whales (baleen whales).
● Almost 700 images.
● You can select a region, so that only the species found in that region are displayed.
● “Compare” allows you to compare two species side by side on the same screen.
● Bird Smart Search lets you easily find a species using a combination of habitat, physical features, colour, bird type and size.
● A personal list that stores your sightings saved to the device* and can be exported using email.
● View the Index in English or Scientific names.
*Uninstalling the app will result in the loss of your list. It is recommended that you keep your own backup (master list) separate from the program.
Updated and added species data.
Added Spanish names.
Ratings and ReviewsSee All
The best pocket reference to the Antarctic.
This app is the perfect thing to have on hand for any person traveling to the Antarctic region. The app is at first quick to use for identifications, allowing the user to narrow the search options based on which specific area within the Antarctic he/she is located. The guide has stunning photos which point out field marks and easily convey differences between most often confused species. Beyond identification, the Antarctic Wildlife Guide is a rigorous scientific reference, with information about life history, behavior and conservation status of the birds, seals, dolphins and whales which inhabit the rich Antarctic. The app is perfect to have handy on deck while making one's way south. It is the most comprehensive and useful field guide I have seen.
Amazing, easy to use reference!
I am a boat driver and general naturalist and used this app in the Falklands, South Georgia, and Antarctica this season and I wholeheartedly recommend it. The guide includes all the birds, seals, and dolphins/whales one will see in these areas with great photos and detailed information and it’s very easy to use. I particularly love the ability to compare two animals side by side so as to see the differences between similar species. If you’re traveling to these areas, get this app!
This app is incredible. I work in Antarctica and it's the perfect resource if you are learning the area and when you just need to remember how much a penguin weighs. Well organized with thorough information.
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.