Download high resolution USGS topographical maps for offline GPS* use.
Topo Nomad is designed for road trips, camping, hiking, exploration and geographical history. Map images are accurately center aligned regardless of datum and placed on top of Apple's map kit for easy referencing and intuitive touch navigation.
This software utilizes the latest capabilities of IOS offering the highest performance with fast start up, map rotation, rendering and zoom with unbeatable details and undistorted resolution. Map downloads are dispatched in the background so you can continue using the app while new maps concurrently install.
Topo Nomad indexes of over 250,000+ U.S. Geological Survey current and historical topographic maps describing the topography of every region and island territories of the United States of America. Historical versions date as far back as year 1884. Install a map quad by pressing and holding a point on the reference map and discover the USGS historical maps available at that coordinate and the unique names given to every quad by the cartographers.**
The limits don't stop there with just USGS maps. Import "Geospatial PDF" maps from the web, iTunes and email. Many local and national park services offer PDF map downloads from their web sites which automatically install into the Topo Nomad app. And, if you reside outside the United States check with your government services for topographic and aeronautical sectional maps with embedded geospatial metadata.‡
Cannot find that map you downloaded but know where in the world it's located. Simply zoom out the reference map view and all the topo maps become a colorful violet and partially transparent so you can spot your map. Installed maps are managed in a table format which can be sorted by name, distance, and scale. Multiple versions of the same map can be stacked on top of one another and made visible or hidden using two finger swipes.
Planning a hike somewhere and want to know the distance of your jaunt. Download the map and use the dual mode ruler to measure the path distance and know the answer to "how much farther?"
Purchase a subscription for unlimited map downloading. A subscription stops ads and doesn't auto-renew. The first few map download are complementary.‡
• No need for cellular service to use maps
• GPS location on downloaded topo maps while offline
• Find geographic features with geocode search
• Track path GPS recording*
• Route paths and distance
• Dual mode ruler with orthographic line and path measuring
• Full app usability while maps download in the background
• Displays footprint grid and quadrangle names
• Aligns all map datums to WGS84 GPS coordinates
• Dynamic map stitching
• Cropping of map margins for one big map grid
• Automatic map download for your current location
• Uses GPS location service to identify your location on a topo map
• Miles, Feet, Kilometers, Meters, Nautical Miles units
• MGRS, UTM and geodetic Latitude and Longitude decimal and minutes seconds coordinate display
• Import maps downloaded from the USGS in zip and PDF file formats
• Import Geospatial PDF map images via a the web, email attachment & iTunes
• MSL elevation for GPS location
• Waypoints with Augmented Reality finder
• Email and SMS text waypoints, tracks and routes as GPX files with subscription purchase
Not currently supported: geo-TIFF; PDF OCG Layers. Not all geospatial datums and metadata formats are supported, please email support with Geospatial PDF issues.
* Continued use of GPS running in the background can dramatically decrease battery life. Location feature may not function on iPod and wifi-only iPad devices without GPS hardware.
** Not preloaded with maps. WiFi recommended. Downloading queue caps to around 36 maps.
‡ After a subscription period expires, advertisement may resume from usage of the import features.
• Improvements for Track & Routes.
• Reference map has OFF mode so not to fetch image tiles from Apple map server, reduces network data use.
• The home button arrow no longer points with true North unless the map is manually rotated.
Ratings and ReviewsSee All
Topo Nomad is a great app. Far better than many other apps like it. I have purchased copies for myself and the people in my company. I do forestry and fire management and this will be our go to map software. The only improvments it needs is the abilty to export gpx files through email (currently only able to do this through iTunes) and I wish it worked on other phones since not everyone has an iPhone. If it also had the ability to share peoples locations with a log in that would be amazing and I would pay additional for that feature.
Developer Response ,
Thank you for your feedback. Version 6.0 of Topo Nomad now has a new feature to send waypoints, tracks, and routes over email and SMS text messaging. The exported file is GPX format. Also, the track recording feature could be used to log a users GPS positions. The track recording also runs while not using the app. Adding a log note to the recording is done by adding a waypoint and putting notes in the waypoint. Tap the (i) info button on the waypoint callout and add notes in the text window. To add a waypoint to a track, do the following: 1) In the Route & Tracks menu, turn on Track Recording. 2) Select the current recording track to be displayed (red highlighted name). 3) Lock the map to your GPS position by tapping the location service arrow button so it is outlined solid green, indicating it is following your location. Pressing and holding the button for a second will do this too. Now while in this mode, GPS following your location and recording track displayed, 4) Add a waypoint and enter a note message in the new waypoint by tapping the (i) button on the callout. The new waypoint should be recorded into a newly created waypoint group named as the track name. The track waypoints should appear as green dots symbols instead of the default red pin. If they don't repeat steps 2 & 3 above. Note: the track waypoints may need to be exported as a separate waypoint GPX file as they are not embedded into track GPX file (as of version 6.0 of the app).
TOPO Nomad works really well for me. I had trouble previously getting TOPO Nomad to track reliably with the Dual XGPS150A WiFi gps, now it works great. I could not be more pleased with the ease of use.
Love transparent overlays
I love the ability to overlay usgs maps with satellite hybrid maps. Used to use Trimble outdoors for this; first real alternative I’ve found.
No Details Provided
The developer will be required to provide privacy details when they submit their next app update.
- Delcartes LLC
- 56.8 MB
Requires iOS 11.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch.
- Age Rating
- This app may use your location even when it isn't open, which can decrease battery life.
- © 2014-2019 Delcartes llc
- In-App Purchases
- 90 Day $1.99
- 1 Year $4.99
- Lifetime $19.99
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.