Apple TV Remote is a great companion to Apple TV, delivering the best of the Siri Remote. With Apple TV Remote, you’ll never need to put down your iPhone or iPad to enjoy Apple TV. Control Apple TV with a swipe of your finger or use the keyboard to quickly enter text. And you can use the app along with the Siri Remote.
• Navigate Apple TV with touch gestures
• Quickly enter text, email addresses, and passwords using the keyboard
• Ask Siri to find something great to watch, listen to, or play
• Control the movie, TV show, or song that’s currently playing
• View song lyrics, change music tracks, and select movie chapters
• Play games using the accelerometer and gyroscope
• Turn on Game Mode for simplified game controls
• Use volume buttons on your iOS device to control volume
• iOS devices using iOS 9.3.2 or later
• Wi-Fi connection to Apple TV
• Apple TV (4th generation), using tvOS 9.2.1 or later
• Apple TV (3rd generation), using Apple TV Software 7.2.1
• Apple TV (2nd generation), using Apple TV Software 6.2.1
• Certain Now Playing features, including lyrics, playlists, and chapter, audio, and captions selection for movies and TV shows, require iOS 10.3 or later and tvOS 10.2 or later
• Volume control requires an AV receiver with CEC support
Siri requires Apple TV (4th generation) and availability varies by country and language.
This update includes general performance and stability improvements.
Ratings and Reviews
Was great. Update buggy.
I’m surprised they haven’t updated yet to fix all these issues everyone is having. Before the latest update my only criticism is that I’d like to control the volume of the tv through the app. Since the update 1️⃣ I’m having to reconnect to my Apple TV almost every time I use it, before it stayed connected all the time. 2️⃣ The new design (using the control center, iPhone 6s) doesn’t have any ‘negative space’ to touch your finger when you mean to go back to the main control center screen. You have to press the home button every time. Since your finger is already over the screen for all the other features it’s nice to keep the “back” button on the screen too. Last version had this feature also.
Apple TV Remote
I’ve tossed the Siri remote that came with my Apple TV 4K into the junk drawer. I could not get the touch sensitivity set correctly; either it was hyper hair trigger, or numb and unresponsive. I have a couple old unlocked iPhones laying around , so finding a remote is always within reach and quick. Press the Home button once and the app UI is there where I left it. If I’m sitting on the couch watching TV, I’m probably holding a phone or an iPad anyway, so that little slippery Siri remote is redundant. I would give Remote 5 stars if there was 2 changes. (1) A button to MUTE the HDMI audio. I’m not asking for a volume control; I would never use it. Just a MUTE. This feature is a no-brainer for user convenience, but I would be surprised if it is implemented due to inevitable blow back from sacred advertisers. The second change is for the app to not (sometimes) AUTO open the Devices screen asking to select a device.
The last Apple TV that Remote connected to should be the default. User can change that on the Devices button. All in all a very useful app that I use frequently.
A must have app when using an Apple TV
I’ve never understood why so many people have negative reviews about this app. My family and I have been using this application since around 2011 with our first Apple TV (2nd generation) using multiple iPhone 4’s. Through the years we’ve upgraded to new iPhone hardware (4S, 5, 6, 6S, 7, XS) and new iOS software as follows as well as newer Apple TV models (3rd gen, 4th gen, 4K) and still use multiple on our home network. I (We) have never had a single issue with performance or operation of how this app works- period. Most of the negative reviews that I’ve seen are in relation to what sounds as potential networking related issues as this application uses your network to communicate, hardware limitations as to what is wanted out of the application or user error... take it for what it’s worth everyone in my family uses this app for a remote to control multiple Apple TV units throughout are home and none of us have ever had any issues.
- Apple Inc.
- 14.2 MB
Requires iOS 9.3.2 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch.
English, Arabic, Catalan, Chinese (Hong Kong), Croatian, Czech, Danish, Dutch, Finnish, French, German, Greek, Hebrew, Hindi, Hungarian, Indonesian, Italian, Japanese, Korean, Malay, Norwegian, Polish, Portuguese, Romanian, Russian, Simplified Chinese, Slovak, Spanish, Swedish, Thai, Traditional Chinese, Turkish, Ukrainian, Vietnamese
- Age Rating
- © 2016-2018 Apple Inc. All rights reserved.
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.