The name Apraximations is a combination of the name – Apraxia of Speech, and the word “approximation” – meaning a “word approximation” – or simplified version of a specific word (i.e. “ba” for the word “ball”). Therefore, this app is meant to offer a systematic progression of speech targets (from word approximations to true words and sentences) for children suffering with any kind of speech impairment, but especially those who have Apraxia of Speech.
The app consist of a drill portion, a matching game, and a free build portion.
The drills section of the app uses real life mouth pictures as visual cues for each phoneme. Each mouth cue picture card provides you with:
• A real life picture of a mouth producing the sound
• Phonetic transcription of the sound
• An example word that uses the sound
• An icon along with a matching symbol to show the sound’s voicing characteristics
• An icon along with a matching symbol to show the sound’s manner characteristics
• An icon to show the sound’s placement characteristics
• The audio of the sound being produced
• The following sounds: uh, aw, ahh, ee, oo, ouh, eh, ih, m, n, ng, h, f, v, s, z, sh, zh, th, TH, l, r, ch, j, p, b, t, d, k, g.
In the matching portion of the app you are able to practice the production of sounds while playing a game.
In the free build portion of the app you are able to create any sound, syllable, or word (up to 6 characters long) to practice. The possibilities are endless in this portion of the app. You can put together the mouth cues to build any target for any client.
Ratings and ReviewsSee All
App not launching
The app will not launch on my iPad. We purchased the app on the recommendation of my son’s speech therapist and are highly disappointed in the results.
The developer, Alissa Holloway, has not provided details about its privacy practices and handling of data to Apple.
No Details Provided
The developer will be required to provide privacy details when they submit their next app update.
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.