Rated #1 Technical App for Architects by ArchDaily!
Arrette Sketch for iPad is an app for designers who want to draw freehand while maintaining a measurable drawing scale like vector drafting tools. Architects, urban planners, surveyors, home remodelers, field archaeologists and dozens of other kinds of professionals will find this app useful. Unlike other vector drawing tools, Arrette Sketch is simple to learn and use.
Arrette Sketch is the basic version of Arrette Scale for iPad, available separately in the iTunes App Store. Compared to our professional version, Arrette Sketch is limited only in three ways: 1) distance and area measurement tools are disabled, 2) Edge drawing tools are disabled, and 3) users cannot export to PDF for sharing. For those functions, ideally suited for professionals working in business, Arrette Scale is the appropriate tool.
Arrette provides the platform to begin design work and generate ideas without moving too quickly to rigid straight lines and curves. We want to help you draw much as you would normally draw on paper, but to give you the extra tools and ways to share your work that make your life easier and make the design process simpler and more productive.
The basic drawing structure is a familiar one - drawing layers which can be overlayed on a base image. The Grid keeps you aware of the size of what you're drawing at any scale. When you're ready, you can easily share drawings by email or save them to your device.
We've designed Arrette to be extremely easy to learn. In a few minutes, you'll understand how to zoom and scale your canvas, draw lines, and load base images to work on top of. Our tools will seem familiar from other structured drawing applications, but every tool we've built has been simplified and optimized with scale in mind.
Uses for Arrette Sketch for iPad:
* An urban designer drafts plans for a new sub-division in a small town
* A real estate agent snaps a photograph of a living space and begins to sketch out ideas for staging
* A new home owner sketches the plan for an elaborate garden in the back yard
* A construction manager notes progress on a work site, sending annotated precision-scale documents back to the general contractor live from the work site
For these uses Arrette Sketch is a great tool for drawing freehand scale sketches, whether at home, on the go, or at work. For professional work, which includes sharing original Arrette documents for review, annotation, and modification, Arrette Scale is better suited for those purposes.
Included drawing tools in Arrette Sketch (free application):
* Freehand drawing pens that scale like vector lines but are as easy to use as pencil and paper
* An adjustable grid system that you can easily flip between the metric system and decimal feet
* The ability to load base images to draw on top of; base images respect their original scale and direction when the document is zoomed or panned
* A lasso tool to select, move, copy and paste previously drawn lines
* Layers, for separating out parts of composite objects or for adding new ideas to an existing document that overlay earlier designs
* An eraser tool, for revising your designs or removing objects from previous work
* The ability to adjust the width of all lines globally even after the lines have been drawn
Additional professional features in Arrette Scale (available separately):
* A tool for drawing perfectly straight lines, arrays of parallel lines, arcs and circles
* Distance and area measurement tools for measuring the lengths, perimeters and areas of arbitrary pathways in your drawing at precise scale
Document sharing features in Arrette Sketch:
* Save your work to your Photo Gallery
* Share raster versions of your work with anyone via email, Twitter, or Facebook
Additional sharing features in Arrette Scale:
* Send PDFs with scale and direction information to colleagues, clients, and other parties via email
Updated lasso tool to include horizontal and vertical flip operations plus two modes to rotate selected lines around an adjustable center axis.
Ratings and ReviewsSee All
Productive, until recently
I love the app and use it frequently in my work. Recently though, I started having extreme issues with lagging of my Apple Pencil. Only in this app and not the other drawing apps I have. Although I suspect ibis paint wrote some guerrilla programming into their app to cause this problem.
Great free app for field sketches
This is a very handy, easy to use app for simple design sketches. I do a lot of volunteer electrical work for non-profits. I use Arrette SK to make on-site sketches of the existing layout, then take the sketches home to review & determine the best solutions. Between the sketches and the photos I take with the same iPad, all the info is in one convenient place.
I would prefer more colors in the pen palette to better color-code different types of equipment, but that’s about the only improvement I’d make.
Good for architecture sketching
This is the free version of their Arrette Scale app. It lacks a few “pro” tools like the Edge for drawing straight lines and circles. Still, the grid is great for keeping things at scale and I found this app very useful until I decided to upgrade to Scale.
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.