AN APPLE REAL-WORLD LEARNING SELECTION, with free lesson plans. A kid-friendly version of our #1 selling classic art app. The same enthralling, real-world art museum with works by 1500+ major western artists, from ancient times to today. Still nearly 100,000 paintings and sculptures. The same great features. But no worries about "age inappropriate" works. We've gone through the Art Authority collection and taken out access to nudity and other similar content. But we don't leave out the art world's most important works in these cases -- we display appropriate detailed views of the works instead.
All Art Authority's works are beautifully framed and hung on textured walls, accompanied by title, date and other details. Works are displayed chronologically, with previews of related items providing added context. Kids can learn about an artist's life and works, or take a trip beyond the bounds of a traditional museum and view and compare works in a full-screen slideshow or scrolling thumbnail display. They can view exhibits of works similar to any work they happen to like, and, with "Art Real Size" they can instantly see and understand the actual size of the works.
There are also period overviews, timelines, histories and videos. From the earliest creative pieces to the latest modern and contemporary works, Art Authority provides a stunningly displayed, carefully selected, well organized view of the western art world. It's part world-class art museum, part academic reference library and part digital coffee-table book. It's also part magic. A field trip to an art musem like no other!
Art Authority features include:
- Access to 20GB worth of art optimized for quality and download speed through our servers (works still under copyright come from authorized servers)
- Early, Renaissance, Baroque, Romantic, Impressionist, Modern, Contemporary and American rooms
- Overt nudity and similar content removed, replaced with detailed views on most major works
- Dozens of artists per room, listed by movement or nationality
- Period overviews, timelines and histories
- A searchable index of all 1500+ artists, as well as for each room
- Searchable indexes of major titles, subjects and locations
- Art Real Size: instantly see and understand the actual size of works
- Art Like This: view works similar to the one you're looking at
- Art Near Me: search for art based on your (or any) location
- Shuffle: continuous random display of all art, or by period
- Captions with work title, date, location and other details
- Hyperlinks provide access to in-depth information on artists, major works and locations
- Access to videos on hundreds of works
- Full-screen slideshow display, with user-settable transitions, Ken Burns motion effect, music
- Gallery-like, scrolling thumbnail view shows how works have evolved over time, aids in comparisons and exploration
- Offline access to works previously viewed
- Save works to Favorites or the Photos app
- Share works through mail and social networks
- Order framed, high-quality reproductions (US)
Focus on framing, including:
• New hand-tuned frames for each period room, from framing authority Eli Wilner & Co.
• Sculptures and other images can now be displayed without frames and backgrounds
Spotlight search and universal links now fully support titles of specific works
Additional video links
Ratings and ReviewsSee All
Study history’s most exquisite paintings and sculptures with an app featuring more than 50,000 masterpieces in sumptuous detail. Art buffs will appreciate how easy it is to find everything from Byzantine frescoes to contemporary works, while Art Authority’s comprehensive presentation makes it a splendid educational tool. Students can review timelines, Wikipedia links, and expert analyses to learn more about their favorite pieces—and can even use the Art Near Me feature to find out if any of these treasures are on display at local museums.
I have been looking for an art history app that my students can use without worrying about them coming across nudes, so I was very happy to find this app and purchased it right away. Unfortunately in the first minute of searching I found a full frontal male nude by David Hockney. I contacted the developer who promptly took it off the site. Today I found another full frontal nude of a woman by Picasso, that even a Kindergartner could point out all the body parts, and believe me they would! Hope the developers go through the images one by one. I would love for my school district to buy this to put on student iPads, but I can't present it with nudes.
Not quite k-12
I saw this new edition of Art Authority and downloaded it right away hoping to share it with my k-5 students. Unfortunately, upon searching through only a couple artists, I already found a couple not-so-kid appropriate pics (Alice Neel, Annie Sprinkle). Hopefully as images are found, AA will continue to improve the app for us elementary teachers that are so eager to share it with our students. I love the app, as well as the original, for sharing my kids at home, just not at school. :(
- Open Door Networks, Inc.
- 170.2 MB
Requires iOS 6.0 or later. Compatible with iPad.
- Age Rating
- Infrequent/Mild Mature/Suggestive Themes
- ©2008-16 Art Authority LLC. All Rights Reserved.
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.