The new version of the international award-winning ArtLens App combines the most current technology and innovative design with a wealth of interpretive content for every work of art on view at the Cleveland Museum of Art. The app’s redesigned interface is clean and intuitive and the wayfinding map is more responsive, using 252 iBeacons throughout every gallery in the museum to improve accuracy and eliminate the need for paper maps. ArtLens App uses Bluetooth technology to connect to the museum’s iconic ArtLens Wall and ArtLens Exhibition interactives. Photos taken during ArtLens Exhibition gameplay save directly to a device's camera roll. The App updates in real-time ensuring that users have access to the most accurate information available.
The ArtLens App features five main categories:
Search the CMA's collection by artist name, artwork title, and accession number to discover works on view in the museum. Here you can find a scrollable list of “Recent Acquisitions," “Collection Highlights,” and “Top Ten Visitor Favorites."
· Scan: Using innovative image-recognition software, ArtLens App seamlessly recognizes a selection of two-dimensional artworks and provides additional curatorial and interpretive content.
· Map: Galleries are color-coded and grouped thematically to facilitate easier navigation. Tap any gallery number to see a gallery description and all artworks in that gallery.
· Wayfinding: Push the “Find Me” button at any time to find your exact location in the museum.
· Content: Includes every artwork on view, including more than 1,500 videos, available for selected artworks. Changes to any object on view are dynamically and immediately updated from the backend systems across the app and throughout the museum.
· Nearby Artworks: Visitor-favorited and featured artworks.
· Bluetooth: ArtLens App uses Bluetooth to connect to ArtLens Wall and all interactives in ArtLens Exhibition, making synchronization seamless.
Select from "Featured," "Multimedia," "Themed," and Visitor-Created" tours in ArtLens App. The mapping feature locates specific artworks and navigates the entire tour.
Favorited artworks on the Wall and the App and artworks played in ArtLens Exhibition interactives are automatically saved in "You.” Favorites can be used to create personalized tours, find specific artworks or share on social media.
Get a daily snapshot of events and special exhibitions occurring at the museum as well as the location of restrooms, restaurants and exits. Museum hours of operation are also listed on this page.
Fixes and updates to analytics.
Ratings and ReviewsSee All
Only 1 reason it didn’t get 5 stars.
I’m an art novice so the only reason I didn’t give it 5 stars is because while you’re listening to the videos you can’t put your phone to sleep even though the app can be used in the background. This means you’re holding your phone the entire time. Would be nice to listen with my phone on my pocket.
Cleveland Museum of Art - app
I spent two days submersed in the fabulous collection at the Cleveland Museum of Art. We came in from out of town to study works in the American wing and contemporary collection. Rather than photographing the paintings and side notes I opted to use the museums app ART LENS. Spent alot of time looking and marking up the paintings in their LIKE 💜 folder. Goal was to look back at the app and do further research at home.
Guess what...the darn app only works inside the museum! It only loads to 60% at home. So now I am back from vacation with no research notes or photos.
The Cleveland Museum of Art experience was out standing. But my goal was to come back to the art studio to do research. I am left so disappointed that the app failed.
Improve your search function...
Would like to see more search options like:
- by artist’s country of origin, with route map - by theme, floral, battles, mountain seems...including route maps to see all works in organized manner...
- THE CLEVELAND MUSEUM OF ART INC
- 81.1 MB
Requires iOS 9.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch.
- Age Rating
- Infrequent/Mild Sexual Content and Nudity
- © Cleveland Museum of Art
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.