Turn your smartphone into a pocket guide to the Cleveland Museum of Art with the ArtLens App. Use it as a companion within the museum, or as a way to explore from home. Download before arriving, plan your visit, and create or browse tours. While visiting, use the interactive map as a guide to navigate the museum, and keep track of your favorite artworks and gain in-depth information about every object on view. The ArtLens App uses Bluetooth technology to connect to the museum’s iconic ArtLens Wall and ArtLens Exhibition interactives, and updates in real-time ensuring that users have access to the most accurate information available.
The ArtLens App features five main categories:
Search the CMA's collection by artist name, artwork title, and accession number to discover works on view in the museum. Here you can find a scrollable list of “Recent Acquisitions," “Collection Highlights,” and “Top Ten Visitor Favorites."
· Scan: Using innovative image-recognition software, ArtLens App seamlessly recognizes a selection of two-dimensional artworks and provides additional curatorial and interpretive content. Look for the scan icon next to an artwork to find objects with scannable content.
· Map: Galleries are color-coded and grouped thematically to facilitate easier navigation. Tap any gallery number to see a gallery description and all artworks in that gallery.
· Wayfinding: Push the “Find Me” button at any time to find your exact location in the museum.
· Content: Includes every artwork on view, including more than 1,500 videos, available for selected artworks. Changes to any object on view are dynamically and immediately updated from the backend systems across the app and throughout the museum.
· Nearby Artworks: Visitor-favorited and featured artworks.
· Bluetooth: ArtLens App uses Bluetooth to connect to ArtLens Wall and all interactives in ArtLens Exhibition, making synchronization seamless.
Select from "Featured," "Multimedia," "Themed," and Visitor-Created" tours in ArtLens App. The mapping feature locates specific artworks and navigates the entire tour. Build your own tour from home, and share your creation with anyone.
Favorited artworks on the Wall and the App and artworks played in ArtLens Exhibition interactives are automatically saved in "You.” Favorites can be used to create personalized tours, find specific artworks or share on social media.
Get a daily snapshot of events and special exhibitions occurring at the museum as well as the location of restrooms, restaurants and exits. Museum hours of operation are also listed on this page.
Navigation features focusing on special exhibitions.
Ratings and Reviews
Really nice, tons of content... could use an iPhone version
Can't wait to try this on-site. For now, I can at least say the at-home content is impressive! Very high-res images, which you can save as Favorites to come back to. You can navigate the museum map without being there. (One question: I see user-created tours... is it possible to create tours using the app?)
Some details on the data loading, so people know what to expect: the app grows to about 355MB (and I'd guess that will slowly increase in future), so that's the space you'll need on your iPad. The downloading of all those images does indeed take a while, so do it before you go to the museum! Launch the app and wait for the download bar to finish. A couple good things about this big image download step: 1) if you quit the app, the download stops, but it resumes where you left off next time you launch it. And 2) you don't have to keep your screen turned on to do the download. I launched the app, turned the screen off, and later everything had downloaded anyway.
Request: I'd love to have an iPhone version, since I always have my iPhone with me!
Cleveland Museum of Art - app
I spent two days submersed in the fabulous collection at the Cleveland Museum of Art. We came in from out of town to study works in the American wing and contemporary collection. Rather than photographing the paintings and side notes I opted to use the museums app ART LENS. Spent alot of time looking and marking up the paintings in their LIKE 💜 folder. Goal was to look back at the app and do further research at home.
Guess what...the darn app only works inside the museum! It only loads to 60% at home. So now I am back from vacation with no research notes or photos.
The Cleveland Museum of Art experience was out standing. But my goal was to come back to the art studio to do research. I am left so disappointed that the app failed.
Only 1 reason it didn’t get 5 stars.
I’m an art novice so the only reason I didn’t give it 5 stars is because while you’re listening to the videos you can’t put your phone to sleep even though the app can be used in the background. This means you’re holding your phone the entire time. Would be nice to listen with my phone on my pocket.
Data Not Linked to You
The following data may be collected but it is not linked to your identity:
- Usage Data
Privacy practices may vary, for example, based on the features you use or your age. Learn More
- THE CLEVELAND MUSEUM OF ART INC
- 87.4 MB
- Requires iOS 13.6 or later.
- Requires iPadOS 13.6 or later.
- iPod touch
- Requires iOS 13.6 or later.
- Requires macOS 11.0 or later and a Mac with Apple M1 chip.
- Age Rating
- 12+ Infrequent/Mild Sexual Content and Nudity
- © Cleveland Museum of Art
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.