The most advanced simulation of real paint on iOS! Get creative on a digital canvas with smearing, blending oils, delicate watercolor, and much more! Ever wanted to try painting your masterpiece but were put off by the mess and expense? Now you can!
ArtRage isn't just about color: It knows how much paint you've used so you can smear it around to spread it over the canvas. It knows how wet your paint is so you can blend it with other paints. It even knows about the roughness of your paper so your pencils can be used for soft shading.
It's not just a special effect either - ArtRage is a live simulation of the properties of real artistic media that lets you can get creative with colors and textures using tools you already know how to use!
ArtRage takes full advantage of the features of your device like larger canvases on iPad Pro, Apple Pencil support for pressure & tilt, and 3D touch on your iPhone.
Join the ArtRage community:
Real world painting tools: Oils, Watercolors, Paint Rollers, Pencils, Crayons and more. Each tool has a range of familiar properties such as how much thinner is applied to the paint, or how soft a pencil tip is. Tools apply texture as well as color, and blend under the brush.
Add Layers to your painting and work on individual elements without damaging others. ArtRage supports a wide range of Layer Blend Modes, and layer contents can be scaled moved and rotated independently.
Import images, converting them to oil for smearing or as Reference Images pinned to the canvas as a visual guide. Load photos as Tracing Images which are overlaid on the canvas, and have ArtRage select colors automatically as you paint.
The interface has been designed to maximize your creative space without hiding away critical functions such as tool and color selection. As you paint, it gets out of the way so that you don’t have to stop and manually adjust panels.
Record your paintings! The ArtRage Script system lets you record strokes while you paint for playback in desktop versions of the product at higher resolution.
Import and Export using external services such as Dropbox, and iCloud Drive. Share your images on Facebook, Twitter, and any other sharing app on your device.
• Oil Brush, Watercolor, Airbrush, Palette Knife, Paint Roller, Paint Tube, Inking Pen, Pencil, Marker Pen, Chalk, Crayon, Glitter Tube, Gloop Pen, Eraser, Flood Fill.
• Paint simulation monitors the physical properties of your paints to allow natural blending, smearing, and other real world behavior.
• Preset support to save your favorite settings for later use.
• Supports the Apple Pencil's Pressure and Tilt properties, and 3D Touch where available to add realism to the simulated paint strokes.
• Unlimited layers with Photoshop standard blend modes, visibility and opacity controls. Scale, rotate, and position layer contents independently.
• Record your paintings as Scripts then play them back in a desktop version of ArtRage.
• Unlimited Undo / Redo. Load photos as References or Tracing images. Store color samples for later use.
• Create paintings up to 2048 x 2048 or 4096 x 4096 on iPad Pro.
• Control the texture and color of the canvas to create different effects. Canvas presets can be stored to save your favorite settings for later.
• Export PTG, JPG or PNG to services such as Email, iOS11 Files, Adobe Creative Cloud, Dropbox, and more. Share images on Facebook or Twitter. Import photos to a new file or a layer, with camera support.
• Easy access pods provide functionality without getting in the way. Elements vanish as you paint so you can paint underneath. Multi-Touch shortcuts for canvas manipulation, Undo/Redo, and Brush Size.
• Adapts to suit iPhone layouts.
Stylus & Input Support:
• Apple Pencil Pressure & Tilt.
• Supports 3D Touch.
• Includes support for Wacom, Adonit, Adobe, and Pogo styluses.
This update adds gallery file sorting options and the ability to recreate thumbnails for paintings that have lost them. Both options are available in from the menu at the top of the gallery. We've also made some changes to file naming and storage to fix some reported problems, added an indicator to the canvas so that you know which way is 'up' when you create it, and made some improvements to scripting support.
As always, if you have any problems please contact us via our support link and we'll be happy to look in to it and help out!
Ratings and ReviewsSee All
So much to love, so much that makes you scratch your head
ArtRage has so much potential as an iOS app, and given that they charge a decent little fee for it, I can’t for the life of me figure out why they don’t develop it into a true art app.
The tools are surprisingly responsive and versatile, and the pencil tool is one of the best I’ve used—and I’ve used ALL the art apps. I own several expensive ones, as well.
The color picker is easy to use and intuitive, which is more than I can say for most.
But the UI is clunky, and that’s being generous. The lack of grid functionality and tap assignment means you can’t “undo” with two fingers or even suggest it. The menus get in the way, and things pop up that you have no idea how to turn off. There are no guides or rulers that I can see, but then, there’s no helpful introduction to the features and hidden tool settings.
I want to love this app, as it’s a delight to draw with. But in the name of all that is holy, bring it up to speed with the rest of the art apps out there. It’s good enough to be a top app.
Love it, but there are a few bugs...
I just love this app, I’ve been using it since 2012. But lately there have been a lot of things that have caused me a lot of trouble with it. One is that it keeps on resetting the thumbnails so I can’t see what anything is. I used to be able to see the drawing before I opened it, but now it’s just an artrage logo rather than a picture. This makes it very hard to find what I’m looking for as my titles tend to be vague and I have a lot of paintings. Occasionally, the app will crash for no reason and my work will be lost, which forces me to save constantly. I implore you to fix these, it’s severely hindering me in what I can do with ArtRage (I use it for school and a webcomic, and I hate losing progress and taking forever to find things.
Bigger Brushes Please!
I like this app a lot. Better medium simulation than any other app on the iPad (with the exception of the water color in Tayasui Sketch). I find the interface intuitive and non-intrusive, could be a little deeper in places, but a pleasure to work with
(unlike Paint Storm Studio which is total nightmare on a tablet ).
Really love the brush engine, but the brushes are way too small at their largest size! The desktop version lets you scale the brushes to 500% which is useable though even that could be larger. On the iPad you can type in a larger % but it snaps back to 100% .
Also the desktop version has close gap slider for the fill tool, why it’s not in the iPad version is a mystery.
Another mystery is why exported multi-layer PSDs open with single layer in most apps (Art Studo Pro opens them layered and saves PSDs that other apps can open properly).
The omission of layer masks and folders is unfortunate, but it’s the lack of large brushes that keep me from a 5 star rating.
- Ambient Design Ltd.
- 64.8 MB
Requires iOS 10.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch.
English, Dutch, French, German, Italian, Japanese, Spanish
- Age Rating
- © 2011-2019 Ambient Design Ltd.
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.