Reached #1 on the App Store in the Top Paid Music App Category.
The most advanced AUv3 MIDI note editor, modular sequencer and clip launcher on iOS.
- This plugin does not run as a standalone app and requires a compatible host to work.
- MIDI is not sound. To make sound you'll have to feed the MIDI into a synthesizer or instrument app. Bring your own synths!
- Hardware integration with controllers requires iCloud Drive.
Tested hosts: AUM, ApeMatrix, Audiobus, BeatMaker, Cubasis, Drambo, Zenbeats. Not supported by GarageBand. Limited or poor support by NanoStudio 2.
Build live sets for clip launching, or an entire track with unlimited length. Play the whole sequence, or adjust the loop markers to iterate over a single section. Step input, or record as played, all with perfect timing accuracy.
Write your own code, share it with the community! You can control hardware devices, adding support for new controllers or completely changing the behavior of existing ones. Build your own styling with custom layouts and themes. Change colors, fonts, sizes… make it yours!
Piano Roll 2 takes all the features you love about the first installment, and expands them into an entirely new breed of modular sequencer and clip launcher, unparalleled in flexibility and depth on iOS. We redesigned it from the ground up to incorporate a plethora of new features and workflows.
- It's a sequencer that augments the capabilities of your host or DAW.
- It's a composition tool that helps you to write beautiful melodies and complex polyrhythmic patterns.
- It's a clip launcher that integrates seamlessly with supported hardware controllers.
- It's a scripting playground that lets you customize your workflow with code.
- It's a swiss-army knife of possibilities when working with MIDI.
Here are just some of the many use cases this modular architecture supports:
- Build live sets for clip launching.
- Compose patterns with touch, Apple Trackpad and Apple Pencil, or use the step input mode to write melodies step-by-step.
- Capture performances in real time and export your patterns as MIDI files.
- Import and edit MIDI files created in other apps, or from commercial packs.
- Record generated MIDI of other plugins or sequencers.
- Write harmonies and counterpoint melodies by superimposing the patterns of other Atoms as ghost lanes.
- Construct complex polyrhythms by taking advantage of custom time signatures and grid fractions.
- Sequence the sequencers for full modular mayhem.
- Enabled iOS 13 compatibility for Launchpad controllers.
- Added nonuplets, undecuplets and tredecuplets for quantization, swing, and general editing, in addition to triplets, quintuplets and septuplets.
- Added 39 new scales, grouped by their main mode, and including all of their corresponding modal flavors, for a total of 74. All scales are sorted with music theory in mind and ordered by their respective modal brightness, from “bright or happy” to “dark or sad”. The new scales include Double Harmonic, Persian, Neapolitan Minor, Neapolitan Major, Flamenco, Enigmatic, Octatonic Whole-Half Diminished & Half-Whole Diminished, Major Hexatonic & Minor Hexatonic, Whole Tone, Augmented & Six-Tone Symmetric, Prometheus and Tritone scales.
- Added Program Change clip triggers, available in the advanced launch settings.
- Added auto-routing support for the Akai MPK Mini 3 controller, which also serves as a simple example hardware script for adding your own custom routing.
- Added `receiveCC`, `receivePitchBend` and `receiveProgramChange`, in addition to `receivePolyphonicAftertouch` and `receiveChannelAftertouch`, to the scripting sandbox.
- Fixed an issue where controller scripts in would sometimes connect to the same ports twice.
- Added a “Disabled Animations” configuration that reduces motion.
- Added a “Reload UI” button for quickly reloading the configurations and styles.
- Revamped configs, styles and scripts menus, now with icons, sorting and helpful tips for getting the most out of user extensions.
- Now preventing accidental dismissal of the manual view when tapping on the background.
- Now presenting doorhanger menus modally, disabling input for the background.
- Better performance when opening various menus like Scales.
- Fixed sliders also scrolling containers, and "Process" toolbars appearing incorrectly on narrow screens (e.g. on iPhone in vertical mode)
- Layers now sorted by track.
- Default quantize toolbar strength now depends on the top-level quantize button.
Ratings and Reviews
Works as advertised, seems like exactly what I needed
I even rebooted the iPad after install, and AUM and AudioBus both agree that this doesn’t appear to be available. Not as an audio unit extension, and not as an inter-app audio device. I’m going to try to uninstall and reinstall it and see if that fixes the issue.
EDIT: I’m an idiot! It’s a MIDI controller, not an input source! Duh! Yeah this is fine, that was totally my bad. Great job!
Excellent quality, totally worth the praise
Some folks might question how an app so recently released can have this much praise. It has been painstakingly crafted with feedback from IOS music producers for over a year and it shows. Really amazingly well done and worth it every penny.
I use my iPad Pro for music production, video production and photo editing. So that being said I have purchased a lot of apps and never once wrote a review but I love this app. While I’m here if the developer so happens to see this review is it possible to bring back the time stretch feature. Great app!
Developer Response ,
Hey, Thanks for the review. A stretch tool is indeed in the works.
Data Not Linked to You
The following data may be collected but it is not linked to your identity:
Privacy practices may vary, for example, based on the features you use or your age. Learn More
- Victor Porof
- 9.7 MB
- Requires iOS 13.0 or later.
- Requires iPadOS 13.0 or later.
- iPod touch
- Requires iOS 13.0 or later.
- Requires macOS 11.0 or later and a Mac with Apple M1 chip.
- Age Rating
- © 2021 Victor Porof
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.