Beautiful iPad instrument featuring classic famous 80s FM Synth, EP, and FM Tine sounds. Featured by Apple. Trusted by over 100,000+ musicians worldwide!
App played by HERBIE HANCOCK in the studio!
"Best DX7 Sounds on any Platform" - Power DX7
"Best Sounding FM Synth for iOS" - Ask.Audio
"FM Player is great! It's in my bag for every session" - Henny tha Bizness, 4x Grammy Producer for Jay-Z, Drake, Snoop Dogg, John Legend, 50 cent, and more
"BEST APPS OF 2017" - Electronic Musician Magazine
"BEST iOS APPS – 2017" - Audio News Room (ANR)
“Presets sound authentically like the original hardware”
– Electronic Musician Magazine
FM Player 2 is the secret weapon for major musicians and grammy-winning producers. Now, you can have all these award-winning sounds on your iPad.
*** Optimized for newer iPads for best performance.
Note: App may not work on older iPad 4 devices.
GarageBand Audio Unit (AUv3):
You can run one instance of FM Player 2 as an AUv3 in a GarageBand project. With a host like AUM, you can run 3 or more instances at once.
• Faithful multi-sampled recordings of famous classic presets from original retro 80s FM Synthesizers
• AUv3 Plugin and Standalone support.
• Vintage Arp & 16-Step Sequencer
• 200+ presets and 150+ multi-sampled PCMs included!
• NEW Vintage Stereo Phaser Effect
• 1+ Gigabyte of sounds, compressed to under 300mb!
• Dual layers per voice. KeyboardSplits. Morph between sounds
• Full ADSR Envelopes for each Layer
• 3 LFOs. Fun Routings. LFOs can modify other LFOs.
• NEW FX: Vintage Chorus, Flanger, Amp Simulator, and more
• Beautiful Reverb, Auto Pan, Bit Crush, Stereo Fatten, and more!
• MIDI in (Play with a MIDI Keyboard)
• Analog Tape Style Ping-Pong Delay
• Mono glide & legato modes
• Dual Independent Filters per layer
• Tempo-sync controls & Ableton Link
• GREAT for playing Live with a Keyboard: MIDI Mod Wheel, Pitch Wheel, Program Change, Velocity sensitive sounds, and Sustain Pedal support already added
• All Knobs have MIDI Learn!
NOTE: This app is amazing as a live instrument controlled with a MIDI Keyboard. The main Electric Piano and Full Tines sounds have 20+ layers for maximum expressiveness.
“Sounds LUSH and Awesome!”
– The Sound Test Room
"FM Player proves the iPad can be a great sounding, viable synth."
"The sound quality is incredible! Absolutely amazing!"
- IOSoundDesign, AudioBus Forum
"Truly sounds like the real deal! DX7 is all about the EPs for me...and this one nails it!" - David A., AudioBus Forum
"So crisp and clean. I had a few 80/90’s flashbacks on some of those presets. Very cool!" – Eros, AudioBus Forum
+ We are all volunteers, we do not get paid anything to make this app. We would be humbled if you checked it out. 100% of proceeds go to support the AudioKit open-source project.
• Official Video:
NEW: Use FM Player 2 alone or as an AU plugin in your favorite host:
• Source Code to make your own app available free: http://audiokitpro.com/fmplayer
* This app has no official affiliation with Yamaha or the DX7 or DX7II. FM Player is an open-source project to bring the joy of music making to the world. We appreciate Yamaha's beautiful instruments.
** This app has no official endorsement with any artist or producer named in the description (including Herbie Hancock, Jay-Z, Drake, etc). We are humbled they have used our apps. They have received no payment or otherwise compensation for using our apps. :)
Thanks Everyone! You're Totally RADICAL!
• Re-engineered to be more Memory efficient with AUv3
• Reduces Crashes in AUv3
• Better iPadOS Support
• We've got more to go... We're working constantly to improve AudioKit apps for you.
Thanks for your support!
Please note that we all are volunteers. AudioKit does not have any sponsors or investors. We are all musician/developers who love making apps. Any help spreading the word about this app would be appreciated. The more people that know about the apps, the more musicians can enjoy them! Thank you!
Please send friendly notes and music to firstname.lastname@example.org
Ratings and ReviewsSee All
Extremely well done!
I still own (and use) my DX7IIFD that I bought in 1989, but it rarely leaves my home studio, which is probably why it still works as good as new. So, if I want to incorporate that unique FM synthesis at a gig or on the road, I’m left with virtual instrument options. There’s two approaches for virtual FM - modeling or sampling (or a hybrid of both). I’ve got a number of satisfactory modeling options on my computer rig that I enjoy and use frequently, but none of them gives me the same exact ‘vibe’ of my hardware, and I’ve never been happy with sampled DX sounds because, even though many are very accurate, they always feel static or sterile to me. Furthermore, I’ve never been happy with any of the DX instruments for iOS. This app sounds fantastic and really captures the character of the DX7 without sounding or feeling like a sampler. And it is really fun and inspiring to play. I will absolutely be using it in my live gigs. My thanks and admiration to the developers and the AudioKit team for providing a free synth that sounds rich and professional, and is useful right out of the box. I also love that it much easier to pack up, carry, set up, and tear down than my good old DX7 beast! Well done!
This is the most amazing app ever!
I have no words. This is the most amazing app I’ve ever seen! Great job! And also, you have made my day! Congratulations on making the best app! this one should be rated number 1! And also i’m speechless! May I introduce myself! My name is Josiah manly! I am a 10-year-old boy! This is amazing! You should be in the top 5 synthesizer apps video! Thank you for making such a great app! Great news! I have just updated my review! To all the people that out here shout out to audio kit pro for making this possible! This is such an amazing app and to the developer! Thanks for making such a good app and even if you don’t respond, I will still love it and everything is free! Which is amazing to me! But the only thing that’s missing is beats! Except I still love it! You can respond anytime! Love you guys! 3>> WHAAAAAATTTT!!!!??? you guys! FM player 2 is out! This is so Beautiful! Thank you guys!
I just got the latest edition of Electronic Musician. The first thing I read is the iOS monthly review of the latest apps. I went looking for another synth based on the magazine’s recommendation, and found this one instead.
I have many expensive, paid apps that can either play sample based DX sounds, or create FM synthesis the old fashioned way with virtual operators. Some are 4 op, others are 6+, depending on how many virtual algorithms they are based on. You wouldn’t think that your open source freeware ROMpler would come close to any of those apps, however, I’m stating that these are the best 6 operator samples I have heard in iOS yet! Keep up the awesome work! I’ve been using iOS in live performance for years and have been waiting for this app!
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.