auGEN X bridges the creative musical world of artists with the exacting scientific world of audio engineers. What started as a precision audio test utility has grown into a fun experimental sound design instrument. On one end use auGEN X to help set up, test, calibrate, and optimize your audio system. On the other use it to create a wide variety of interesting sounds.
auGEN X has a full-featured audio oscillator, a high quality noise generator, and an impulse generator. The simple yet powerful user interface is designed for fast, precise, intuitive control over your signals. auGEN X works both as a Stand-Alone App and as an AUv3 Audio Unit Extension responding to MIDI In and BPM Sync from Hosts.
I started making this app because as an audio electronics engineer I could not find a single audio generator that does everything that I require AND is an AUv3 Audio Unit. auGEN X has expanded into a musical tool for exploring and learning sound design. Our goal is for auGEN X to be an Essential in your audio toolbox. We hope you enjoy it and we’re excited to hear the cool things that you do with auGEN X!
"I really see this app becoming a standard and a must have component in one's iOS audio app arsenal."
- Paul Henry, Paul Henry Pro Audio
- 3 Modes: Fixed, Frequency or Level Sweep
- 4 Wave Shapes: Sine, Triangle, Rectangle, & Saw
- Tri & Rect have a Duty Cycle control (1.0% to 99.0%)
- Tri, Saw, & Rect are alias-suppressed yielding virtually alias-free performance at musical fundamental frequencies
- 10 to 20,480 Hz extended audio frequency range (great for testing subwoofers!)
- Full-featured Frequency or Level Sweep with 5 Types, settable Direction, & selectable Repeat or 1-Shot Mode
- Sweep Period has a wicked wide range from 1/10,000th of a second to 100 seconds and can alternatively be set as a Sweep Rate in Hz or BPM
- Wide sweep range allows for FM & AM style sounds
- Noise Generator
- 2 Modes: Fixed or Level Sweep
- White or Pink Noise
- Pink Noise conforms to SMPTE Standard 2095-1:2015 Calibration Reference Wideband Digital Pink Noise Signal
- Impulse Generator (useful for checking reverb algorithms)
- Impulse Width can be set in samples
- AUv3 Audio Unit Extension or Stand-Alone App
- Verified to work great in AUv3 Hosts such as GarageBand, Cubasis, AUM, apeMatrix, BeatMaker 3, & Auria Pro
- As a Stand-Alone App audio is sent to iPad's built-in speakers, Headphone/Line Out, or to any iOS-compatible USB audio interface connected to the Lightning jack
- Creative experimental sound design
- Sound effects for film, TV, & games
- Great chiptune style sounds
- Synthesize sirens or alarms
- Test, characterize audio equipment
- Set up or dial in a home theater
- Tune car audio systems
- Test subwoofers
- Hearing tests
- Ear training
- Vibration analysis
- Audio signal path uses state of the art Double Precision 64-bit Floating Point for maximum accuracy
- Stereo out
- Selectable Pan Laws include Linear & Constant Power Panning
- Supports 44.1, 48, 88.2, & 96 kHz sample rates
- User Guide embedded in App - no internet connection required to read it
- Compatible with iOS 9.0 & up (iPad 2, iPad mini (1st Generation), & up)
- Support way back to iOS 9 means auGEN X works on every iPad model (except the very first iPad).
Breathe new life into your old iPad by using auGEN X to make it a dedicated, precision audio source.
- AUv3 Audio Unit Extensions require iPad 4, iPad mini 2, and up
- 88.2 & 96 kHz sample rate require iOS-compatible USB audio interface connected to the Lightning jack
Watch demos & tutorials on auDSPr's YouTube channel.
Subscribe on YouTube: https://youtube.com/channel/UCRZm2cKWVJVfK-l9zrnMeFg
Like Us on Facebook: https://facebook.com/AUDSPr-1392948064183211
Follow Us on Twitter: https://twitter.com/auDSPr
Keep your ears and eyes open for more upcoming auDSPr audio apps!
auGEN X just keeps getting better! Version 1.0.2 is a maintenance update to polish things up for our big launch.
- Now the Impulse also responds to MIDI Note-On/Off. This is great for adding a thump to your attacks. We nearly doubled the maximum Impulse width to 63 samples for even more thump.
- Fixed an issue where the controls would sometimes disappear when closing and re-opening the window in AUv3 Hosts such as AUM and apeMatrix.
- Eliminated clicks when starting and stopping the Oscillator.
- Fixed a minor range limit issue when using the number keypad to enter sweep rates.
- Improved the colors on the e-mail form.
Ratings and Reviews
Waveform Precision Toolkit
This is a great app for sound design. You can exercise precise control over the waveforms it generates and use them as fodder for your modular synthesis explorations. Combine this app with FAC Envolver to generate useful evolving MIDI sequences to trigger and control other apps. Great for use in apeMatrix where you can modulate the parameters which opens up all sorts of possibilities.
The pan, volume, sweep, and impulse controls plus being able to choose different waveforms along with their frequency range and sweep characteristics are very useful.
The in app manual details the app’s functionality.
Developer Response ,
Thank you @polarpaul for auDSPr’s first ever App Store review! And 5 stars at that! I’ll remember this forever. I’m finding that auGEN X, FAC Envolver, and apeMatrix are a nice combination. Make some cool sounds, my friend! - Dave Simpao, auDSPr
DJ Puzzle recommended this on YouTube
So I’m buying it! Amazing app. Please make it 8 voice poly with detuning! As an AU I’d say one instance for each timbre, and then 1..n voices per instance. I like the way Volt Synth lets you adjust the polyphony.
Amazing first app! Go go go!
Also, is it MMXVIII already? How time flies.
Oh, and an oscilloscope would be killer. I can hook it up the the tek but then I’d have to get off the couch.
Developer Response ,
I love the enthusiasm @jdubiner! Thank you! And... Thank You, Dj Puzzle!
auGEN X started life as an audio test tool, but the community is pulling me to make it a synth — so it looks like that’s where I’m heading! Now, you’ve got me thinking about polyphony... and an oscilloscope. Remember, apeMatrix has a sweet ‘scope. And yes, Volt rocks!
Before we know it, it will be MMXIX. Where does the time go?
- Nemesis Technology, Inc.
- 26.5 MB
Requires iOS 9.0 or later. Compatible with iPad.
- Age Rating
- Copyright © MMXVIII Nemesis Technology, Inc. All rights reserved.
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.