NEW - Lower Price
auGEN X bridges the creative musical world of artists with the exacting scientific world of audio engineers. What started as a precision audio test utility has grown into a fun experimental sound design instrument. On one end use auGEN X to help set up, test, calibrate, and optimize your audio system. On the other use it to create a wide variety of interesting sounds.
auGEN X has a full-featured audio oscillator, a high quality noise generator, and an impulse generator. The simple yet powerful user interface is designed for fast, precise, intuitive control over your signals. auGEN X works both as a Stand-Alone App and as an AUv3 Audio Unit Extension responding to MIDI In and BPM Sync from Hosts.
I started making this app because as an audio electronics engineer I could not find a single audio generator that does everything that I require AND is an AUv3 Audio Unit. auGEN X has expanded into a musical tool for exploring and learning sound design. Our goal is for auGEN X to be an Essential in your audio toolbox. We hope you enjoy it and we’re excited to hear the cool things that you do with auGEN X!
"I really see this app becoming a standard and a must have component in one's iOS audio app arsenal."
- Paul Henry, Paul Henry Pro Audio
- 3 Modes: Fixed, Frequency or Level Sweep
- 4 Wave Shapes: Sine, Triangle, Rectangle, & Saw
- Tri & Rect have a Duty Cycle control (1.0% to 99.0%)
- Tri, Saw, & Rect are alias-suppressed yielding virtually alias-free performance at musical fundamental frequencies
- 10 to 20,480 Hz extended audio frequency range (great for testing subwoofers!)
- Full-featured Frequency or Level Sweep with 5 Types, settable Direction, & selectable Repeat or 1-Shot Mode
- Sweep Period has a wicked wide range from 1/10,000th of a second to 100 seconds and can alternatively be set as a Sweep Rate in Hz or BPM
- Wide sweep range allows for FM & AM style sounds
- Noise Generator
- 2 Modes: Fixed or Level Sweep
- White or Pink Noise
- Pink Noise conforms to SMPTE Standard 2095-1:2015 Calibration Reference Wideband Digital Pink Noise Signal
- Impulse Generator (useful for checking reverb algorithms)
- Impulse Width can be set in samples
- AUv3 Audio Unit Extension or Stand-Alone App
- Verified to work great in AUv3 Hosts such as GarageBand, Cubasis, AUM, apeMatrix, BeatMaker 3, & Auria Pro
- As a Stand-Alone App audio is sent to iPad's built-in speakers, Headphone/Line Out, or to any iOS-compatible USB audio interface connected to the Lightning jack
- Creative experimental sound design
- Sound effects for film, TV, & games
- Great chiptune style sounds
- Synthesize sirens or alarms
- Test, characterize audio equipment
- Set up or dial in a home theater
- Tune car audio systems
- Test subwoofers
- Hearing tests
- Ear training
- Vibration analysis
- Audio signal path uses state of the art Double Precision 64-bit Floating Point for maximum accuracy
- Stereo out
- Selectable Pan Laws include Linear & Constant Power Panning
- Supports 44.1, 48, 88.2, & 96 kHz sample rates
- User Guide embedded in App - no internet connection required to read it
- Compatible with iOS 9.0 & up (iPad 2, iPad mini (1st Generation), & up)
- Support way back to iOS 9 means auGEN X works on every iPad model (except the very first iPad).
Breathe new life into your old iPad by using auGEN X to make it a dedicated, precision audio source.
- AUv3 Audio Unit Extensions require iPad 4, iPad mini 2, and up
- 88.2 & 96 kHz sample rate require iOS-compatible USB audio interface connected to the Lightning jack
Watch demos & tutorials on auDSPr's YouTube channel.
Subscribe on YouTube: https://youtube.com/channel/UCRZm2cKWVJVfK-l9zrnMeFg
Like Us on Facebook: https://facebook.com/AUDSPr-1392948064183211
Follow Us on Twitter: https://twitter.com/auDSPr
Keep your ears and eyes open for more upcoming auDSPr audio apps!
Version 1.1.1 (11) is a patch release to correct a few issues that crept into the last release:
- Fixed a crash which occurred when running multiple instances in some Host Apps.
- Fixed Host BPM Sync which accidentally got broken in the last release.
- Fixed issue where MIDI Input Settings were not showing when running in Audio Unit Host Apps.
We apologize for any inconvenience the previous Version 1.1 might have caused.
Ratings and Reviews
Some sliders not committing to new values in AU instances
So I’m having issues with this app running as an audiounit. I use cubasis 3 almost exclusively if that is useful info. While triggering auGEN x and adjusting parameters the adjustments will not commit. For example, moving a slider from 143 Hz to 87 Hz immediately jumps back to 143 Hz. Every time auGEN x is triggered the changes that I have made to certain parameters will not stay at the adjusted level. Other that that I like the concept of this app, some of the parameters are slightly cryptic to me. This is sort a strange phenomenon to me because I feel like I am a well seasoned synth tweaker. It’s kind of rare for me to not feel like I understand what is going on with parameters in synth apps. I think I have figured it out and the manual is very good but the icons don’t imply the association’s with the functions to me. ‘Fixed’ ‘Freq Sweep’ and ‘Level Sweep’ are my main issue. This in no way takes away from the app, the only real problem is some of the sliders jumping and unable to commit to new values running as an audiounit.
Developer Response ,
Thanks using auGEN X and thanks for the detailed review. As for the parameters resetting to their original values, you wouldn’t by any chance have any Cubasis 3 automations on them? This would certainly jump them back. Or if you have a MIDI Program Change or Bank Change message, this would also cause parameters to change value. If it’s not one of these, please e-mail us at support@auDSPr.com and we’ll be happy to help figure out what’s going on here.
As for the parameter names not sounding so “synthy”, it’s because auGEN X started life as a piece of test equipment so maybe this is why they might sound “testy” instead. Zoinks!
Waveform Precision Toolkit
This is a great app for sound design. You can exercise precise control over the waveforms it generates and use them as fodder for your modular synthesis explorations. Combine this app with FAC Envolver to generate useful evolving MIDI sequences to trigger and control other apps. Great for use in apeMatrix where you can modulate the parameters which opens up all sorts of possibilities.
The pan, volume, sweep, and impulse controls plus being able to choose different waveforms along with their frequency range and sweep characteristics are very useful.
The in app manual details the app’s functionality.
Developer Response ,
Thank you @polarpaul for auDSPr’s first ever App Store review! And 5 stars at that! I’ll remember this forever. I’m finding that auGEN X, FAC Envolver, and apeMatrix are a nice combination. Make some cool sounds, my friend! - Dave Simpao, auDSPr
DJ Puzzle recommended this on YouTube
So I’m buying it! Amazing app. Please make it 8 voice poly with detuning! As an AU I’d say one instance for each timbre, and then 1..n voices per instance. I like the way Volt Synth lets you adjust the polyphony.
Amazing first app! Go go go!
Also, is it MMXVIII already? How time flies.
Oh, and an oscilloscope would be killer. I can hook it up the the tek but then I’d have to get off the couch.
Developer Response ,
I love the enthusiasm @jdubiner! Thank you! And... Thank You, Dj Puzzle!
auGEN X started life as an audio test tool, but the community is pulling me to make it a synth — so it looks like that’s where I’m heading! Now, you’ve got me thinking about polyphony... and an oscilloscope. Remember, apeMatrix has a sweet ‘scope. And yes, Volt rocks!
Before we know it, it will be MMXIX. Where does the time go?
Data Not Collected
The developer does not collect any data from this app.
Privacy practices may vary, for example, based on the features you use or your age. Learn More
- Nemesis Technology, Inc.
- 53.6 MB
- Requires iOS 9.0 or later.
- Requires iPadOS 9.0 or later.
- iPod touch
- Requires iOS 9.0 or later.
- Requires macOS 11.0 or later and a Mac with Apple M1 chip or later.
- Apple Vision
- Requires visionOS 1.0 or later.
English, French, German, Japanese, Latvian, Russian, Simplified Chinese, Spanish, Swedish
- Age Rating
- Copyright © MMXVIII - MMXX Nemesis Technology, Inc. All rights reserved.
Up to six family members can use this app with Family Sharing enabled.