Author delivers a powerfully integrated Concept Map, quick and easy Citations, automatic formatting on Export (available as an In-App-Upgrade) and more:
Quickly cite books, websites, youtube videos and academic documents
Copy a DOI and paste it to get a full citation to quickly cite academic papers
Option to automatically include on export:
• Table of Contents
• Formatting of citations
• Numbered Headings
• Concept Map: Think freely without being constrained by the traditional columns of text.
• Magic Margins: In full screen the margins behave like the Dynamic View where you an add notes.
• Instant Outline: Pinch on your trackpad to fold the text to see just the headings. Pinch further in or out to see more or less headings
• Advanced Find: If you only want to see sentences with a specific keyword, select the keyword cmd-f to hide all the sentences which do not have the keyword will be hidden. Click on a sentence to jump to it, cmd-f again or ESC to return to the regular view
• Everything you Cut (but not Copied) is remembered by Author. CMD-shift-v to see what you have Cut and choose what to paste/
Modern & Minimalist
• Reduces eye strain and supports native macOS Dark Mode.
• ESC to go into and out of full screen. It seems like a detail but is very helpful when going between focused writing and interacting with many documents.
• Time Machine integration for continuous backups with versions on Save.
An Augmented Text Tool
• Integrated with Liquid (free text tool): Provides hundreds of commands in less than one second on any selected text.
• Integrated with Reader (free PDF reader): Provides instant citations through simply copying and pasting text using the Visual-Meta method as described at https://visual-meta.info
*= Please note that the export labels (‘References’ etc.) are only localised to Chinese (traditional and simplified), Dutch, French, German, Greek, Italian, Japanese, Norwegian, Russian, Spanish and Turkish. If you have further requirements, please get in touch.
Improvements to Concept Map interactions and export.
Ratings and Reviews
Sweet word processor
Who needs another word processor. But this one has some nice features that save some time. For example, if you want to see al the places in your document you discuss a certain thing , you can highlight some text, and hit command f to see each sentence that has that text in your document. You can also quickly see the outline of your document from the headings you have used by squeeze-pinching the track pad. So it has some litle shortcuts that save time. It has more advanced features too, like built-in fucntion to insert book reference from a search window where you can search by title/author of the book. For my work, the content has to eventually end up in Word to share with collegues or format for publication. Copy-paste is free, but there is also an upgrade to this app to save in Word format (and several other formats). I haven't tried it yet, but it looks like it can easily save to a WordPress blog. So bottom line, this has some really cool features, but doesn’t yet replace Word for my work documents.
Developer Response ,
Thank you very much. I hope you will find the export function useful. It is something we will continue to improve, including an update coming very soon, which will handle academic citations even better.
Truly powerful new approach to text
Author is a truly new concept in writing. Following the lead of pioneers like Doug Engelbart and Ted Nelson (if you don’t know who these people are, you need to do some research!) this is a powerful tool that requires some learning. Do watch the videos to understand the concepts that are implemented in Author. You will soon learn to leverage these features and concepts and will wonder how you lived without them!
Designing a tool like Author is a delicate balance—how to implement the features with a holistic and clean approach such that the software doesn’t get in your way. Compare with large and complex systems like Word and you will find Author a breath of fresh air!
I’ve been working in software and user experience for over 40 years and an application like this does not come along often. I also don’t write many reviews—most software isn’t worth reviewing. Try it, spend some time, and you will be rewarded :-)
Developer Response ,
Thank you very much indeed eastern sierra! You are completely right that this work is inspired by Doug (the name Author is an homage to his Augment system) and Ted's work has inspired the non-linearity we are working on. This is only the beginning... :-)
Very Elegant and Underrated
This is a lovely, lovely word processor. I hope the developer continues to explore the possibilities of this format. It is actually quite radical, a true departure from the concept of the word processor, let alone the format. I think it may take people time to take it in, but I hope people make the effort. I want this app to stay. I am an academic writer, and I couldn't have dreamed up a better writing app. It is so lovingly crafted and detailed and elegant.
I am so grateful for the work and thought and energy you've put into this beautiful word processor.
If you are a writer, you should give this app a try. Good writing and elegance of tools go together.
Developer Response ,
Thank you for your kind words, they are very much appreciated.
Data Not Collected
The developer does not collect any data from this app.
Privacy practices may vary, for example, based on the features you use or your age. Learn More
- The Augmented Text Company LTD
- 8.6 MB
- Requires macOS 10.13 or later.
English, French, German, Norwegian Bokmål, Portuguese, Spanish, Turkish
- Age Rating
- © The Augmented Text Company LTD, UK
- In-App Purchases
- Enable Export Subscription $14.99
- Enable Export lifetime $44.99
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.