Neural Network Drum Machine
Axon 2 is a drum synth driven by artificial intelligence. (Well, "intelligence" might be a strong word. Artificial something-or-other.) An experimental instrument, Axon uses a modified artificial neural network as a sequencer, and features seven FM-based percussion voices, that are really a single 18-operator FM voice.
If that sounds weird, you ain't seen nothing yet. It is surprisingly intuitive once you get the knack of it, and is capable of all-new, complex rhythms that repeat in surprising ways. It often gets referenced as a "random sequence generator," but there is nothing random in Axon; it is entirely determinative.
The sequencer features seven "neurons" that trigger a voice and send a pulse when they have received a predetermined number of pulses. You can wire the output of any neuron to the input of any other (with built-in loop detection to prevent runaway feedback), and in this manner pre-program the artificial neural network without having to go through a "learning" phase.
The seven individual drum voices, each triggered by its attendant neuron, are 2-operator FM voices in a configuration to best make percussion sounds, with additional FM and AM busses that all voices send to and receive from. Each voice has a HPF, distortion circuit, and white noise generator to provide a full range of percussion-oriented voicing individually, while interacting with each other in new and unique ways.
• Artificial Neural Network sequencer features seven neurons, and is easily programmed to create strange new repeating rhythms.
• Seven FM percussion voices that also buss together to create a single monolithic complex percussion synthesizer.
• Full mixer with pan, level, mute, and solo on each voice.
• Built-in stereo delay with X/Y pad control over feedback and filter frequency, for live playability.
• MIDI input, including Bluetooth MIDI, for driving Axon from DAW and hardware sequencers, and Virtual MIDI Output (standalone only) for driving other software with the Axon sequencer.
• Inter-App Audio, including transport synchronization, in standalone mode.
• Internal transport for non-synchronized playback.
• Resizable vector-based user interface.
• Drawn reciprocation dingle arm to reduce sinusoidal depleneration.
• XML-based cross-platform, human-readable preset system, with copy/paste, for easy transferring of your own presets and third-party offerings.
Please Note: This application will work fine on an iPad Mini, but the user interface may be difficult to use due to the size.
We have activated the MIDI out feature of Axon. Some things to note:
1. The MIDI note that the particular node outputs is based on the pitch setting of the node.
2. The mixer works when using the MIDI out. The level sliders determine velocity, and mute and solo both work as you'd expect.
3. AUv3 built with iOS SDK prior to iOS 11 do not have MIDI out. So we have to raise the minimum of Axon to iOS 11 to allow this.
Ratings and ReviewsSee All
Great app but frustrating crash events.
[“ Outstanding instrument. Just great. The issue is the constant crashing. I keep thinking that a OS update or a app update to axon will fix it but Ive had the same issue with it for years now. It crashes when saving presets or switching presets. Pretty bad when youre working on a elaborate creation and it crashes when you go to save. Im shocked this has not been fixed. I could use a working axon over a facelift to Eos or upgrades and facelifts to Roughrider. Please fix this app.”]
Love it, but it crashes a lot.
Excellent work, but when switching between presets to choose one it will crash, if they’re playing. It’s also crashed while making changes to an existing preset before I was able to save it. This is very frustrating. Otherwise this is the best design idea for what I do. Please solve this soon. It deserves a 5 star rating.
Very unique idm glitch drums
Amazing fm synthesis that is very different to me in the way it unifies all the synth drum tones magically somehow. Something about the 1 osc mainframe brain or network? The sounds can be so strange yet clear and trippy. It reminds me of 'different drummer app', in that it seems so deep and unique with a life all its own. This sick drum synth app and their other (pure synth) app 'phosphor' have solidified their brilliance. I this company and can sense their rather mad hatter time warping sensibilities. Axon technology seems to be based on a psyonic Crystalized core fragment spinning percussively inside with non-organically digitalized fractal sound frames. Then you realize that there is midi working well and you are on the moon.
No Details Provided
The developer will be required to provide privacy details when they submit their next app update.
- Audio Damage, Inc.
- 13.4 MB
- Requires iPadOS 11.0 or later.
- Age Rating
- © 2009 - 2017 Audio Damage, Inc.
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.