** No. 1 in the Lifestyle category of the Mac App Store **
** Award Winner of Mac Informer 5* Editor's Pick Award **
** App of the Week in Mac.informer, Macitynet and Macgasm **
"Backgrounds is, as the name implies, a Desktop background utility that truly, madly, deeply thinks different. Instead of merely changing the photo, Backgrounds changes everything" -Mac360
"It is designed for Mac users who want to make the backgrounds of their computer screens more attractive, stylish, and dynamic. This can be done by adding brand new features and helpful widgets to your screen to achieve an exquisite and original desktop appearance." -mac.informer
"Great App! The simplicity yet performance and customization is impressive! Nice job! XB" -Xan Bar
"My favorite thing is that it doesn’t compress video if you choose a video as a wallpaper, so my native 4k videos don’t get degraded." -rkzemke
Your desktop, like never before.
Make your wallpaper more interesting and useful with 7 themes: Music, Parallax, Video, Quartz, System, Clock and Web.
Includes a Notification Center Today Widget.
Includes 2 Screen Savers: Glass and Quartz X.
Hide your Desktop icons easily and enjoy your wallpaper. As it’s meant to be.
See the artwork of the current track you are hearing as a wallpaper, or a video you have added to Backgrounds that matches the song’s title, artist, album or comments. Excellent for playing music videos.
• Compatible with iTunes, Spotify and Swinsian
Give depth to your desktop by moving the cursor.
• Take advantage of your Panoramas and create immersive wallpapers
• Supports Photos Albums
Play video as your desktop wallpaper. Express yourself with your own videos and live wallpapers.
• Supports Photos Albums
• Video Library
- The Video Library subscription offers access to a curated collection of videos to use as your wallpaper. Expand your videos collection and enjoy your video wallpaper
- The subscription is optional and all the features of the app are available without it
Run Quartz Compositions as a wallpaper. Make your own Quartz Compositions or download them.
• Access to iTunes, Spotify and Swinsian current track info
Monitor your Mac’s CPU and Network usage.
• Get a glance of your system’s stats from Notification Center with the today widget
Know the time or date right from your Desktop
Load a webpage as your wallpaper. Create your own or use an existing one.
• Includes 3D Parallax
• Quartz X: Run a Quartz Composition while you are away from your Mac. Visualize your music artwork and info when playing music with iTunes, Spotify or Swinsian
• Glass: a transparent Screen Saver. Lock your Mac and see what it's doing, from your music artwork, to a task in progress, the system status, anything
• Supports Multiple Monitors with different preferences each
• You can even combine them. Activate the System and Clock widgets so they are always on top, even when you are using other themes
• Set an idle theme so when your Mac is idle it automatically activates a theme even in full screen so you can watch a video, see your music artwork, the system stats and more
Enjoy it, spread the love and share it with your friends.
We appreciate your comments. Let us know how we can help you.
Share your wallpaper and your Backgrounds experience on Twitter or Facebook @BackgroundsMac
Backgrounds Video Library HD & 4K is available as an optional subscription. The subscription will be charged through your Apple ID account. Your subscription will automatically renew unless canceled at least 24 hours before the end of the current period. You can manage and cancel your subscriptions at any time by going to your account settings on the Mac App Store or clicking Manage Subscriptions.
Backgrounds 12 brings full support for macOS Sonoma, introduces Web Gallery and Save as Wallpaper, includes new features, user experience improvements and support for Milkdrop to see mind-blowing music visualizations. This update also includes improvements and bug fixes.
• Introduces Save as Wallpaper to influence the color of the menu bar and windows
- Save the current theme as a wallpaper to influence the menu bar and windows tint and the system in general with support for a wallpaper configuration per display
• Adds a new Frosted look option
• Music Sync can control playback to Play, Pause, and change to Next or Previous Track
- Adds support for the Theme menu items and the contextual menu when right clicking the Theme with Hide Desktop Icons enabled
• Adds a Loop menu item, a contextual menu and a shortcut
- Click the Theme menu when using the Video theme
- Right click on a video when using Hide Desktop Icons to show the contextual menu
- Press ⌥⌘L to toggle Loop mode
• Introduces Web Gallery
- Browse a collection of web wallpapers that look great on your desktop
• Adds support for Milkdrop, a music visualizer that creates mind-blowing visualizations
- It uses your microphone or the audio input you choose in System Settings
• Adds support for several web wallpapers and features, including microphone support
• Improves interaction with web content
• Adds a contextual menu when right clicking the theme with Hide Desktop Icons enabled
• Network Data speed gauges now shows the extra speed with a second ring for measuring detail and big scope speeds, like the measuring the first 100 Mbps and then 1 Gigabit speeds
- Enable the Multicolor Rings or Multicolor Open Rings to measure exceeding speeds from 100% to 1,000%
• Includes a new default rich text format that uses a rounded font
• Improves the format of the non-custom options
• Expands Deep Links support
- Adds support for more features via deep links for automation via scripting, Shortcuts, Automator or any method that can open a URL
- Includes Deep Links examples in the Help menu
• New app icon
• Under the hood changes and improvements for System and Clock
Share your Backgrounds experience @BackgroundsMac (Twitter / X or Facebook)
Have any feedback? Let us know at firstname.lastname@example.org or @BackgroundsMac
Ratings and Reviews
works well, great functions. Just have a small bug that some time the background in macos will works like a full screen picture which may block other apps if you bring it to front(it usually happened when it recovered from full screen mode).
Love the App
I was looking for an app that would play something in the background (Live video) and found this app. It’s a bit different in understanding how the preferences work. Just needs some cleaning up in my opinion but don’t take it for a grain of salt. I love the app and for the price of $1 I would have happily paid $5 for it. Plays videos in the back and did a lot more than I anticipated. The one real big thing I wish it had was more example videos. Developer or Developers please use some of your own videos I think that would be a nice touch to your app! Thank you for your time reading this.
best video wallpaper app I've used...
this app works great at displaying videos as wallpaper, and ive used several other apps so far. the only bug I have found is that when I try to use the Music function, the app always crashes, so far deleting and reinstalling, resetting the app, changing settings, etc havent fixed the problem. Other than that, everything else works really well, if this bug werent there I'd say this was just about perfect!
Data Not Collected
The developer does not collect any data from this app.
Privacy practices may vary, for example, based on the features you use or your age. Learn More
- Jose Lopez
- 88.8 MB
- Requires macOS 10.13 or later.
English, Simplified Chinese, Spanish
- Age Rating
- © 2024 Alex Lopez
- In-App Purchases
- Video Library (Monthly) $1.99
- Video Library (Yearly) $19.99
Some in‑app purchases, including subscriptions, may be shareable with your family group when Family Sharing is enabled.