This app is for Go players of any level, from beginner to professional.
Learn how to play the ancient board game Go - also known as Igo (囲碁), Baduk (바둑), or Weiqi (圍棋) - with a fun, interactive tutorial. Sharpen your Go skills with daily random Go problems (Tsumego) at your choice of difficulty. Play Go against a variety of AI opponents, each with its own unique playing style and strength. Enjoy correspondence games with your friends, and challenge other players around the world!
• Includes over 4,000 Go problems (Tsumego) curated by pro Go players
• Play with quirky AI opponents ranging in strength from 20 Kyu (beginner) to 7+ Dan (professional)
• Compete with players around the world on the online Go leaderboard
• Improve your Go and Tsumego knowledge with interactive Go lessons
• Track your progress with a customized leaderboard for you and your friends
• Includes a range of fully interactive lessons from beginner to advanced level
• Learn the basic rules of Go in just a few minutes
• Get familiar with Go problems with step-by-step beginner lessons
• Dig deeper into Go tactics like eye shapes, Ko, and shortage of liberties
• Master advanced techniques for Tsumego problems like under-the-stones Tesuji and multi-step Ko
GO PROBLEMS (Tsumego)
• Play Life and Death, Tesuji, or Endgame problems
• Rated mode tracks your skill level automatically
• When you answer correctly, your rating rises and you face more difficult problems
• If you make mistakes, your rating falls and you'll get easier problems
• Use Practice mode to try Tsumego problems at your own choice of difficulty
• Global leaderboard shows top players by Tsumego rating and problem practice points
• Play Go on boards up to 19x19 with a variety of AI opponents
• Includes weaker opponents for new Go players to practice with
• Also includes a full-power neural-network AI that plays at human professional level
• Use "Automatch" to instantly play against a Go opponent near your own skill level
• Play correspondence games with your friends on any board size: 9x9, 13x13, or 19x19!
• Scoring is fully automatic, using advanced Go AI. There is no need to mark stones manually.
HEAR FROM REAL STUDENTS:
"I always wanted to learn to play Go and never found a time for it. Then after watching the documentary AlphaGo, I went searching and found this great app. The lessons and puzzles were exactly what I was hoping to find. This app has turned out to be exactly what I needed to help start my journey in Go. Thank you."
"Fun app, and excellent for learning this fascinating game. Thanks developers."
"It's the best app for Go that I've seen so far."
Terms of Service: https://badukpop.com/terms
Questions? Reach out to us at firstname.lastname@example.org. Happy Go practice!
- Fixed an issue that caused the app to sometimes restart unexpectedly while loading
Ratings and Reviews
The production value on this app is really good. I love the gamification of the user ratings with specific goals to achieve to rank up. The graphics are fun and the interface is nice. I don’t know how many people are playing online (which can be a big factor in longevity) but I definitely think the style of this app helps making learn go more interactive and fun. Keep it up please don’t let the app stagnate and die off!
Good app, but confusing lessons/puzzles
I’ve learned go from absolute beginner using this app to some extent, but I’m continually frustrated by the lack of explanation or follow-through in the lessons and puzzles. The explanations given don’t really explain why “the group is saved!” or “Oops, the group is dead.” If they would only show what actually happens if the puzzle were played through to its conclusion (capturing stones, etc.) or what makes a group dead, then I think I would get a lot more out of the lessons and puzzles. I’ve honestly gotten more out of just playing 9x9 online using this app, and have been able to occasionally even win against much more highly rated players. I still often struggle to recognize when I should stop trying to capture a group or even resign and am sometimes surprised that I scored so low (or high, as the case may rarely be). I just feel a lot of the time like I’m missing something and have to look things up on websites like Sensei’s Library, where if the app could just explain puzzle reasoning better I may not have to.
Developer Response ,
Thanks so much for the review! We agree 100% with your feedback, and are working on more in-depth explanations for puzzle answers right now. We're so happy you are still practicing and are getting stronger at Go!
I like it but it needs an update
I like watching Asian dramas and this game is a constant feature in both historical and present-day dramas. So I decided to research how it’s played. The tutorials are helpful, and I appreciate the ability to collect puzzles that I got wrong. I wish it would explain why a move is wrong because I don’t always understand the correct answer. But it is still very good considering it’s free. I’m only on level 1 and I lose 90% of the time. However, the last few times that I won against AI Bobby in points, the app said I lost to him on time. What’s up with that? Am I missing some timer rule or is AI Bobby a sore loser? I do like the app, but I hope the developers can fix this issue so I’m not losing my game play tickets unnecessarily.
Developer Response ,
Hi BigBlocka - Thanks for the review! Will send your suggestions to the team. To help us follow up on the AI Bobby issue, could you please send a record from one of the problematic games by email to email@example.com? To do this, visit the Study screen, then Games, and tap the "SGF" button. Thanks!
Data Linked to You
The following data may be collected and linked to your identity:
- Contact Info
Data Not Linked to You
The following data may be collected but it is not linked to your identity:
- Usage Data
Privacy practices may vary, for example, based on the features you use or your age. Learn More
- CorePlane Inc.
- 71.7 MB
- Requires iOS 11.0 or later.
- Requires iPadOS 11.0 or later.
- iPod touch
- Requires iOS 11.0 or later.
- Requires macOS 11.0 or later and a Mac with Apple M1 chip.
English, Korean, Simplified Chinese, Traditional Chinese
- Age Rating
- © 2021 CorePlane Inc.
- In-App Purchases
- BadukPop Pro $6.99
- BadukPop Pro (1 Year) $49.99
- Pack of BadukPop Coins $19.99
- Pack of BadukPop Coins $0.99
- Pack of BadukPop Coins $4.99
- Pack of BadukPop Coins $9.99
- Pack of BadukPop Coins $39.99
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.