BARCELONA, the new app in the Art & Culture series, is something different in tourism: a cultural travel guide that offers comprehensive, expert coverage of all the sights and attractions, all the things to do and see, complete practical information and detailed maps.
BARCELONA is the indispensable guide to Europe’s most exciting city, for exploring the depth and richness of its history and its vibrant life of today. We don’t do hotels and restaurants and shopping; instead, we offer a cultural companion that can enrich your visit like no other guide, on paper or pixels.
BARCELONA is where Europe goes to play. She’s a city that sparkles and fizzes, making the world watch just to see what she’ll do next. Plunge straight into her buzzing heart with this remarkably in-depth app by two old pros who have been writing about the city for decades:
• Sparkling insights and handy tips on visiting 130 famous and secret sights, from Antoní Gaudí’s Sagrada Família to a bomb shelter from the Civil War
• Up-to-date opening hours, prices, and details of all sites
• Day trips—all you need to know to visit Sitges, Monserrat, the Dalí museum in Figueres, Girona, PortAventura (Spain's biggest theme park) and Tarragona
• Biographies of all the great Modernista artists and architects
• Fun alternatives for exploring Barcelona differently by day and night: with a local on a bespoke tour, on a scooter, or in a three-wheel GoCar
• Unusual sidelights—discover Barcelona's secret fixation with bats and learn how truly nutty the great Gaudí really was
• Walking tours of Barcelona’s most fascinating and up-and-coming neighbourhoods
• Discover Barcelona’s vibrant music scene from opera to Manu Chao’s Rumba de Barcelona, along with the best venues and where to buy tickets
• A menu decoder and a list of useful phrases in Spanish and Catalan
• Up-to-date practical info on how to get around the city, and how to save money with special offers and discount cards
• Great places to take the kids
• A complete list of the important traditional and cultural festivals
• Comprehensive search function lets you quickly find anything in the text
About the Authors
Authors of seven books on Spain and Catalonia, Dana Facaros and Michael Pauls (www.facarospauls.com) have been around the block a few times. After a career as travel writers spanning centuries, they know the Mediterranean like a flea knows a dog. Currently installed just over the Pyrenees in southwest France, Barcelona is where they go for a dirty weekend and some stuffed squids.
Content updates: prices, opening hours, new entries...
App now is one upfront payment (no more ads, no more in-app purchase)
Improve layout and font sizing on large tablets.
Ratings and Reviews
Barcelona Unbound: Perfect Blend of History, Art and Travel Tips
Barcelona is my favorite of the cities I've toured in about 20 trips to Spain, France, Italy, England, Ireland and Greece. This app makes me yearn to go back for more.
Barcelona Unbound provides the perfect blend of history, art, photography, practical travel advice and directions to gastronomic delights for those who are visiting or just want to know more about one of the most striking cities in Europe. Anyone who has enjoyed the numerous travel guides on Spain, Italy, France, Greece, Hell, Mars and beyond written by the wife and husband team of Dana Facaros and Michael Pauls will come away well satisfied with the couple's initial foray into electronic publishing.
If Barcelona is on your itinerary, Barcelona Unbound belongs on your iPad and in your travel bag. Facaros and Pauls lead the journey through the largest city in Catalonia. Anarchy, Sagrada Familia, Gaudi, Mirò, Museu Picasso, Santa Maria del Mar, Vicky Christina Barcelona walking tours, the Catalan Crapper, Museu de l'Eròtica, it's all there, and then some. Whether you are planning a visit to the second largest city in Spain, or just want day dream and read about a walkable city where beauty and creativity abounds, this app is the guide for you.
Your Best Barcelona Buddy
Barcelona Unbound really ripped the boundaries from Barcelona. The map feature has a variety of categories which made finding museums, restaurants, or any of the attractions a simple task. The app is easy to operate, even for a novice, and we had no trouble using it to access any information we needed. There were very useful hints such as getting our Sagrada Familia tickets online. We walked past a line that curved around for over a block. We took their suggestion to try Les Quinze Nits and went back again for very reasonably priced and tasty meals. Since we didn't find many explanations in English around the city, the background and detailed stories enriched our experience at every site. I never would have known about the secret past of Christopher Columbus or the elevator in his monument or the impact of the anarchists. The vivid photographs were just an added bonus. I hope that Facaros and Pauls write apps for the places we want to visit next year.
Your Best Barcelona Buddy
Barcelona Art and Culture really ripped the boundaries from Barcelona. The map feature has a variety of categories which made finding the museums and all the attractions a simple task, identifying each flag with a name and a picture. The app is easy to operate, even for a novice, and we had no trouble using it to access any information we needed. Useful hints, such as suggesting we get our Sagrada Familia tickets online ahead of time, had us skipping a line that curved around for over a block. Since English explanations around the city were rare, the app's background and detailed stories enriched our experience. I would not have known about the secret past of Christopher Columbus or the elevator in his monument or the impact of the anarchists The vivid photographs were an added bonus. I hope Facaros and Pauls create apps for all the places we want to visit.
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.