**Named an "Honorable Mention" by the Webby Awards for an Education & Reference App in 2013**
The Bartlett's Familiar Quotations app gives you unparalleled access to 20,000 quotations spanning almost 5,000 years of art, politics, science, religion, philosophy, and entertainment.
The new edition of Bartlett's introduces hundreds of new voices--from J. K. Rowling and Stephen King to Paul McCartney.
Whether you are looking for quotes from Barack Obama, Shakespeare, or Balzac, now you can find them on the go.
• Search by keyword, topic, author, and publication.
• Share quotes via social media.
• Find the perfect words for any occasion, from the business presentation to the wedding toast.
• Compile and save lists of your favorite quotes.
• Create and share photo/quote mashups using the Quoto(TM) feature.
• Derive inspiration from the Quote of the Day.
• And much more.
This app has been updated by Apple to display the Apple Watch app icon.
145 new quotations and minor enhancements.
Ratings and Reviews
Not remotely comparable to print version
If you thought you could replace that bulky volume with a convenient app, don't waste your money (or ditch the hard copy, like I did). I'm not even sure that the app is posted on the app store, which would mercifully save some other unsuspecting buyers from this fraud. For example, type in a biblical quote, such as "how have the mighty fallen." A one sentence quote is referenced to "the Holy Bible." Period. No book, chapter, line citation that would allow you to expand the quote, put it in context, or even find it in the original source. This is worse than useless; it is blatent rip off.
Good idea, broken app
Bartlett’s has been on my family’s bookshelf for generations, and I was curious enough about what the app would be like to buy it, despite the low reviews. I now see the problem for myself. The random quotes and quote of the days don’t show up. There is simply no text. Searching for quotes appears to work, but that’s about it, and considering how easily that can be done in other apps for free, this app, as it stands, is a rip off. If they ever fix it, I’m sure I’d use it often and gladly change my rating!
Don’t buy - no updates in 5 years and quotes aren’t visible
This app is a waste. I’m sorry I didn’t check the reviews before I bought it. They haven’t updated it for years. A 2016 Apple update
Made the text white on a white background so it is not visible on my iPhone. You can’t see the random quotes until you export them to share. Really disappointing after using the print version for so many years. It could be so much better.
The developer, Hachette Book Group, Inc., has not provided details about its privacy practices and handling of data to Apple.
No Details Provided
The developer will be required to provide privacy details when they submit their next app update.
- Hachette Book Group, Inc.
- 34.9 MB
- Requires iOS 6.0 or later.
- iPod touch
- Requires iOS 6.0 or later.
- Requires macOS 11.0 or later and a Mac with Apple M1 chip or later.
- Age Rating
- 9+ Infrequent/Mild Profanity or Crude Humor
- Bartlett’s Familiar Quotations copyright © 2012 by Little, Brown and Company Application copyright © 2012 by Hachette Book Group, Inc.
Up to six family members can use this app with Family Sharing enabled.