Base is an application for creating, designing, editing and browsing SQLite 3 database files. It's a proper Mac OS X application. Fast to launch, quick to get in to and get the data you need.
Base starts with all the basic features you need:
• Schema viewing
• Table contents viewing/editing
• Custom SQL queries
• Command logging
Then makes it all even better:
• Support for viewing and editing ALL column- and table-level constraints. From simple default values, to complex foreign keys, Base can handle it.
• Advanced table designing and altering. No need to manually type CREATE TABLE statements, from a single sheet you can add, edit and remove columns & constraints to your heart's content, maintaining or moving the original data within them.
• Quick data find & filter. Build lengthy SELECT statements with a few clicks, previewing results as you go.
• Easy SQL editing, with clear syntax highlighting and useful SQL autocompletion
• Store your commonly used SQL as snippets for easy re-use later
• Easy import, comprehensive export. Bring in data from CSV or SQL files. Export to SQL, delimited text, XML or Microsoft Excel-compatible formats.
• Update SQLite to 3.17.0
• Fix a crash on launch bug
Ratings and Reviews
Base 2.0 is a fantastic SQLite GUI
It is a major improvement over the 1.x version in speed. It nicely handles 1M+ record SQLite files now. It now has more sophisticated features such as column renames and schema changes (these are not natively supported in SQLite, so they have to be explicitly programmed by the developer; it's a real timesaver over manually recreating a db). I find that I turn to it for all the SQLite files I handle now. It's a nice, simple, clean, fast SQLite GUI. And the price is awesome!
I'll throw in one suggestion; allow NULL fields not only to be marked with user selectable text, but also a user selectable background color; I find that makes it much easier to browse through to see where the nulls are instead of WHERE 'foo' IS NULL queries...
Can’t reliably edit data in a record
After I open a database, sometimes I can double-click a data record to open an edit window so I can change data, but usually usually I can’t. Double-clicking only selects the text under the mouse as if I’m copy/pasting. It’s very unpredictable. Going through the “Alter” process for the record also does not let me change the data. The SQL database was originally created by the PhatNotes iPhone/iPad app, which is quite old and no longer supported, perhaps this has something to do with this issue? However, other SQL editors I’ve tried on MacOS don’t have any trouble accessing and modifying record data in this database. I haven’t tried this function with any other SQL databases. The reason I bought this app was specifically to deal with the above-mentioned iPad/iPhone database, which is critical to me and which I was forced to migrate to MacOS. FYI, I used iFunBox on Windows to retrieve the SQL file from the PhatNotes sandbox on the original iPad, since the data transmission facilities in PhatNotes had stopped working following an iOS upgrade.
Purchased this to ease transition from a number of Numbers spreadsheets into SQLite. Every time I try the import function into a New table, it gives and error and aborts. Tried creating a table to match the spreadsheet and import into existing table. Does nothing. Not at all what I was looking for and not worth the price.
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.