The proven original.
NOTE: A computer with a battery compliant with the Smart Battery standard is required. All portable Macs fulfill this requirement.
More and more computers are mobile devices nowadays. The most important prerequisite for a portable computer is a chargable battery which keeps the device powered. Batteries are not really cheap replacement parts and they are subject to wear and tear. Their lifetimes should be optimized, handling them with the necessary care. Battery Monitor is a small auxiliary application useful in this regard. It offers the following features:
- Display of the charge state in the Dock: This is useful if you cannot or do not like to use the display in the menu bar of macOS, e.g. when you have a screen which is not very wide. Battery Monitor can also show the estimated remaining run time in the Dock menu, even if you are using an operating system which suppresses this information in the menu bar.
- Display of internal battery information: In addition to the charge state, many other technical specifications, e.g. temperature, discharge current, number of charge cycles, expected lifetime, or capacity can be retrieved. The states of each of the battery cells and the manufacturer of the cells can also be determined.
- Capturing charge and discharge curves: The history of the readings measured by the battery unit can be displayed graphically. This way you can plot the charge and discharge curves, for example, one of the most important characteristics for the health of a battery. You can also review the graphical profile of the amperage drawn by the computer, helping to find “power guzzling applications”.
- Bookkeeping of the aging process of the battery: Battery Monitor automatically keeps a log about the charge capacity of the battery which will decrease as the battery ages. This helps you to exactly monitor how the behavior of the battery is changing over time. You can assess if your battery is working normally or if it might be defective. You can also estimate more exactly when the right time has come to purchase a new battery. For computers with replaceable battery units, Battery Monitor can of course monitor multiple battery packs at the same time.
- Notifications during charge or discharge: In addition to the display of the charge state in the Dock, Battery Monitor can optionally inform you about the progress of the charge or discharge process by other means. Inobtrusive notifications using speech or the Notification Center of macOS can be set up.
- Additional overview of connected Bluetooth batteries: If supported Bluetooth devices powered by batteries are connected to your Mac, display of their battery levels can be integrated into Battery Monitor as well.
- In addition to the Touch Bar controls, the battery capacity log can now also opened directly in graph mode via the main menu, context menu, or via keyboard shortcuts.
- The wording of the "last full charge cycle" indicator in the long-term overview window was modified to avoid misunderstandings.
- The code base was modernized to prepare for future operating system versions.
Ratings and Reviews
Works well for low battery warning
I started using this app to warn me of a low battery, because macOS was failing to warn me in time, and I was getting unexpected shutdowns. This app works well so far. I always get a warning in time now. I've replaced the built-in menu bar widget with this. Battery Monitor seems more accurate than the system.
Great so far
I got this app because my battery didn't seem to be lasting long enough. I was able to verify that it charges and discharges normally. I ended up discovering (through OSX Activity Monitor) that Solitaire (often on in the background) uses a ton of battery power.
For me, this app would be five-stars if it also pulled in app-specific power usage data in a way that is easy to understand. This information is sort of available through activity monitor, but it could be improved on.
Overall, I got what I was looking for in this app. Thanks!
This new update is awesome! Thank you for adding the option to remove the Dock icon. The app does exactly what I want it to do. It sits out of the way in the menu bar while using text-to-speech to report battery information. Keep up the great work! I love this program!
Data Not Collected
The developer does not collect any data from this app.
Privacy practices may vary, for example, based on the features you use or your age. Learn More
- Marcel Bresink
- 6.6 MB
- Requires macOS 10.14 or later.
- Age Rating
- © 2011 – 2022 Marcel Bresink Software-Systeme
Up to six family members can use this app with Family Sharing enabled.