"Battle of the Bulge is a must-have for anyone with an interest in historical wargaming. 5 Stars" - TouchArcade
Battle of the Bulge invites you, the player, to lead the Axis or the Allies to victory on the snowy battlefields of World War II. In this turn-based strategy game, you command your forces to capture important locations, secure key supply routes, and engage the enemy. Designed specifically for iOS, Battle of the Bulge captures the spirit of traditional board wargames while providing excellent UI design and accessibility for new players.
Key features include:
• Play against AI opponents with unique personalities
• Play against friends online through Game Center or on one device with Pass and Play.
• Fast turns, deep strategy
• Play scenarios like the quick, tense, fight in the opening days to a campaign covering the entire battle as either the Axis or the Allies
• Learn with the tutorial and quick start guide, or visit our online strategy forums to learn from other players
• Full rules, charts, tables and other information included for advanced players
• Extensive historical photos and commentary
• Universal support for iPad, iPhone, and iPod Touch
• Localized for Spanish and Japanese
• Retina support
• First in a series of WWII titles by legendary designers including: John Butterfield, Ted Raicer, and Mark Herman
Praise for Battle of the Bulge:
“It’s completely nailed the right ways to present a tabletop game in a digital format...” — No High Scores
“Battle of the Bulge is a landmark iPad game. It’s deep without feeling complex, and fun without feeling light. Further, it’s beautiful, both visually and aurally, and so intuitive that you don’t need a tutorial to learn the interface. If you’re at all into turn-based gaming, give this one a try. If you’re not, give this one a try, anyway.” — MobileTechReview
“A game that will make historical strategy diehards swoon, while also being pretty enough, and easy enough to learn, to draw in people who never knew that this was the game they'd been waiting for.” — TouchArcade
“In terms of war simulation games on the App Store, I haven’t seen a better game…” — TUAW
“…a game of considerable majesty awaits you…” — Gamezebo
“Easily the most educational game I’ve ever played.” — Eurogamer
"Battle of the Bulge is as cold, brutal, and unforgiving as the titular conflict, but it's also one of the top choices for hardcore iPad strategists." - Pocket Gamer UK
This app has been updated by Apple to display the Apple Watch app icon.
- Luck of the Draw scenario repaired for Multiplayer. Unfortunately, we haven't been able to fix Luck of the Draw games that are already desynchronized
- Axis pre-dawn turns spelling corrected.
- Plane incidental sounds will only be heard during clear weather days.
- Combat previews longer show 2 retreat chances next to another.
- Camera controller improved.
- Settings language selection will no longer overlap the close button.
- Computer opponent selection screen text display updated.
- Multiplayer notification overlay now fits to screen.
- Multiplayer game file size reduced by up to 75%.
- "Sorry we were unable to notify your opponent by e-mail it was their turn." - This error will no longer appear while uploading a Multiplayer turn, since the upload has been successful.
- Downloading a game after an opponent has claimed it will no longer cause a crash.
- Added an Exit to Main Menu button in the Multiplayer Chat panel, so that if an upload error occurs multiple times, the player will be able to exit the game normally.
- Fixed bug when Showing notifications while logging into Multiplayer.
- AI can no longer trigger combat after breakthrough.
- Commando will appear in Briefing only during the day it has been used.
- 1 SS Panzer Division starting strength in the Endgame scenario set to 3.
- The Endgame victory conditions revised.
- Tournament Bitter End score calculation fixed.
- Added a paper label popup with information about the commando phase.
- Fixed application freeze in tutorial when using non-English languages.
- Mobile units are now able to return to their original space in the same turn, if movement rules allow it.
- The game no longer permits an attack across a bridge from more than one space away unless there is already another friendly unit in the target space AT THE START OF THE TURN. (as stated in the rules)
- All slot saves will work now.
- Language selection will now work in the game scene as well.
- Close button from the accept challenge with password works now.
- Close button from ingame help section will now fit in the screen.
- AI textures corrected for Patton and von Manteuffel.
- Turn indicator time passage will show the time now, as it should have.
- Loading screen background sprite updated.
- Ingame tooltip should fit better in screen bounds.
- Notifications number in tutorial should no longer overlap other menus.
- Menu transition in tutorial.
- PBEM requests will no longer be called if in offline mode.
Ratings and Reviews
So I finally switched to the new version as not many were left to play the original. Plays better than the initial reviews. AI has been lobotomized, I just surrounded about 10 divisions. Much more difficult to understand multiplayer system compared to original Game Center. I will say that once you figure out the multiplayer, there are a lot of good players online. Let's hope they improve the AI for the next update.
I've seen dumb choices in game before but none this dumb
The colors of the map are green for vegetation and blue for rivers. The counters are also green and blue. It's impossible to tell who owns a territory unless you go to a seperate supply map, because you can't tell if the blue outline is an ownership indicator or a river. It's such a mind-bogglingly dumb design choice. Someone thought it would look cool to have the counter colors match the terrain, but they threw out usability in the process. It's annoying because it's a mildly interesting game but it's unplayable for me because of its visuals. The gameplay often frustrates because of the draconian limitations of movement, but that opinion may be colored (so to speak) by the frustration of thinking a blue line was a zone of control outline rather than a river one too many times. Please give a different counter color option. And of course since this is slitherine the game will soon be abandoned. I already had to buy Drive to Moscow twice.
New update buggy & with some bad design decisions
The previous version of this game was one of the all-time best , indeed almost perfect, wargames on iPad on any other platform. This new update, which comes after the original game studio was bought by Slitherine, has some serious problems. Within 5-10 mins of play I noticed that the graphics seemed unstable with occasional sudden weird glitches such as screen shaking. The beautiful amazing elegant sound design of the original game has been messed with and spoiled e.g. with machine gun fire which is loud and goes on for far too long . There are interface formatting glitches not present in the original. And most alarming of all there I found what appears to be a major rule change (I hope it is a bug...) from the original - the change is about movement in the first couple of turns - the AI carried out 3 space strategic movement out of a contested zone !
The developer, Slitherine, has not provided details about its privacy practices and handling of data to Apple.
No Details Provided
The developer will be required to provide privacy details when they submit their next app update.
- Slitherine Software UK Ltd.
- 460 MB
- Requires iOS 6.0 or later.
- Requires iPadOS 6.0 or later.
- iPod touch
- Requires iOS 6.0 or later.
- Requires macOS 11.0 or later and a Mac with Apple M1 chip or later.
- Age Rating
- 9+ Infrequent/Mild Cartoon or Fantasy Violence
- © 2012-2013 Shenandoah Studio, LLC
- In-App Purchases
- The Endgame $3.99
- Von Manteuffel $1.99
- Bradley $1.99
- Designer’s Guide $2.99
Challenge friends and check leaderboards and achievements.