The BBC News app brings you the latest, breaking news from our trusted global network of journalists.
Personalise your news offering with My News
Add topics wherever you see the + icon for a quick route straight to the stories you care about.
Stories from topics you add will appear in your personalised My News feed. Here you can order stories by topic or time to stay on top of the news of the day. Topics can be added, removed or re-ordered using the Edit function.
Find content fast
The app can suggest topics based on stories you’ve recently viewed and what’s in the news now.
And you can quickly find topics that interest you using the Search tab. Choose from the familiar list of BBC News indexes such as Business, Technology, Entertainment and Health, or search for your own subjects of interest, whether they’re people, places, things or themes.
More of the news you care about
We offer a full selection of stories from the newsroom, and many ways to read the best journalism from BBC correspondents, including:
- Popular - keep on top of the most read stories and most watched videos from across the BBC
- Video - One-minute World News summary and the latest video stories
- Live - BBC World Service Radio. Expertise and insight from our journalists available 24-hours a day and ready to listen to in the background as you browse
- Push notifications for important news stories
- Video over cellular and wifi
- Improved offline experience. Download the latest stories when you have a signal and then read them at your leisure
- Viewing modes. On iPhone see more stories per index by choosing ‘Compact layout’ from the Settings screen
- Settings to allow the app to automatically update in the background
- Share stories to your social networks, or email/SMS to a friend
- Support for dynamic text. Articles in the app will respect the font size in your device settings so you can increase or decrease the story text size as suits your preference
- Related stories, related topics. Go deeper into a storyline with suggestions for further reading and viewing and a range of topics related to each story
If you choose to receive push notifications, a unique identifier relating to your device will be stored by Airship on behalf of the BBC to provide you with the service.
You can choose to unsubscribe from push notifications from BBC News in your device’s ‘Notifications’ screen.
No other personal data relating to you (such as a username or email address) is processed.
This update includes some significant underlying technical improvements to the mobile app. We have also upgraded the look of the app with a new layout.
Ratings and Reviews
Bugs and lagging
I don’t usually write reviews, but I’ve had this app for about a year and all of a sudden the app now lags and bugs out every time I open it. I cannot press into videos anymore, the advertisements always block an article when I’m trying to view it, and it takes me about 30 swipes upward to get down the page.
Though the news is “REAL NEWS,” some of the people writing these articles have some pretty awful spelling errors... and that’s bad-let’s be honest.
I hope one of the developers or admins will see this and make the app better as it once was!
Once great app now virtually useless to me
This was my favorite news app, before the recent upgrade and I used it several times a day to keep up to date with news on topics and geographic regions that are important to me. Now with the new upgrade, all that personalization had disappeared. The My News feature has gone, so I can’t find news stories on the areas that interest me, there is no customization available and I have to scroll through what the app decides I should see, rather than what I want to read about. I am in the USA and used to enjoy the BBC’s global perspective over the US news channels. But now I am presented with the same news stories as other channels. Also the news presented does not seem to update as quickly as before - there are “main headlines” in several categories that are 2-3 days olds which never used to happen.
The only positive update - hence 2 stars rather than 1 - is that the videos tend to load and play more quickly and consistently. Before they would constantly get hung up on ads or just not play at all.
I have had this app for years. It WAS my favorite news app. I could control what I wanted to see with the My News section and focus on new information from Science, Technology, Europe, World, and of course my favorite football club. These options no longer exist and neither does this app on my phone. I am so disappointed in the new update. It was refreshing to be able to see news that gets lost in the usual repeating cycle that is mostly tragic news these days. Those options are gone. I can see everything on the new update that I see repeated on every other app or news channel. The update took away the most desirable and important part of the app; its ability to allow people to personalize it and see a variety of news and not just the headlines of the day. I live in the US and I used this app to connect with what was going on in the world as a whole.
Data Used to Track You
The following data may be used to track you across apps and websites owned by other companies:
- Browsing History
- Usage Data
Data Linked to You
The following data may be collected and linked to your identity:
- Browsing History
- Usage Data
Data Not Linked to You
The following data may be collected but it is not linked to your identity:
Privacy practices may vary, for example, based on the features you use or your age. Learn More
- BBC Worldwide LTD
- 72.9 MB
- Requires iOS 13.0 or later.
- Requires iPadOS 13.0 or later.
- iPod touch
- Requires iOS 13.0 or later.
- Age Rating
- 12+ Infrequent/Mild Alcohol, Tobacco, or Drug Use or References Infrequent/Mild Sexual Content and Nudity Infrequent/Mild Realistic Violence Infrequent/Mild Medical/Treatment Information Infrequent/Mild Mature/Suggestive Themes Infrequent/Mild Profanity or Crude Humor
- © 2020-2022 BBC