Write in portable Markdown, encrypt your notes, sync notes, organize notes with nested tags, add sketches, pick a beautiful theme, export to a variety of formats.
Bear is a focused, flexible notes app used by writers, lawyers, chefs, teachers, engineers, students, parents and more! Bear has quick organisation, editing tools, and export options to help you write quickly and share anywhere and preserve your privacy with encryption.
2017 Apple Design Award
App Store App of the Year 2016
“My journaling app of choice is Bear” - Kit Eaton, New York Times
*WRITE YOUR WAY* with flexible yet simple tools
- Tools stay out of your way so you can just write
- **NEW** Encrypt individual notes and lock Bear with Face/Touch ID (Bear Pro required. Learn more below)
- Easily create notes with Siri and iOS Shortcuts
- Use Apple Watch to dictate and append to recent notes
- Pick from over a dozen themes for the perfect writing space (requires Bear Pro. Learn more below)
- Support for sketching, drawing, and Apple Pencil (and other styli)
- Grab images, text, files, and clip web pages with Bear’s app extension
*ORGANIZE QUICKLY* with tasks and #tags
- Add #tags, #multi-word tags# and even #multiple/nested/tags anywhere in a note for quick organization
- Add tasks to notes to stay on track
- Archive notes to keep them around, but out of your way
- Use Cross-Note Links to build a body of work, reference other notes, and more
- Pick custom icons to help important tags stand out in the Sidebar
- Use emoji autocomplete to add style to your tasks, journals, headings, and more
- Multiple export options including HTML, PDF, DOCX, MD, JPG, EPUB, and TextBundle (some export options require Bear Pro)
- Copy part of a note in a variety of formats to paste elsewhere
- Easily share your notes to any third party app including Wordpress, Mail, Sparkle, etc...
*SEARCH ALL THE THINGS*
- Use Spotlight to search your notes from anywhere
- Quickly find what you need with keyword highlights
- Focus on specific types of notes with powerful Search Triggers. Try @task to find all notes with todos.
*USE IT EVERYWHERE* with sync in Bear Pro
- Sync your notes between Mac, iPad, iPhone, and Apple Watch
- Notes sync via iCloud, not our servers
- A single in-app subscription works across all your devices
*YOUR NOTES, NOT OURS*
- Bear is private at its core: We cannot see your notes, tags, or anything else
- **NEW** Encrypt individual notes with a password that is entirely private to you (Bear Pro required)
- **NEW** Lock Bear with Face/Touch ID (Bear Pro required)
- Export notes to portable formats like Plain Text, Markdown, and TextBundle
- With a Bear Pro subscription, your notes sync via iCloud, not our servers
- Backup and restore all notes with just a couple taps
*ENABLE ALL FEATURES WITH BEAR PRO*
One low, yearly subscription enables a variety of features on all your devices and keeps the Bear hugs coming.
- **NEW** Encrypt individual notes with a password that is entirely private to you
- **NEW** Lock Bear with Face/Touch ID
- Sync notes between your iPhone, iPad, and Mac via iCloud
- Advanced export to PDF, HTML, DOCX, JPG
- Over a dozen gorgeous app themes to help you create the best writing environment
- More themes are on the way
- Keep the Bear updates coming
$1.49 monthly, $14.99 annually (save 18%)
Price may vary by location. Subscriptions will be charged to your credit card through your iTunes account. Your subscription will automatically renew unless canceled at least 24 hours before the end of the current period. You will not be able to cancel the subscription once activated. After purchase, manage your subscriptions in App Store Account Settings. Any unused portion of a free trial period, will be forfeited when the user purchases a subscription.
$1.49 monthly, includes a one week free trial
$14.99 annually, includes a one month free trial
Terms of Service: http://www.bear-writer.com/terms/
**Important update: For users with large backups (over 4GB), please make a new one after this update**
We found a bug that could accidentally exclude some notes from large backups. The bug has been squashed.
To be safe, please download this update and make a new backup as soon as you can.
Ratings and Reviews
This is a fantastic App. I switched from Evernote and have not looked back. The simplicity of the user interface is key. With other note apps it is easy for me to lose or forget about notes because they are hidden behind layers of organization. In Bear, notes don't fall through the cracks of the interface design. It is sleek and simple, and helps tremendously with organizing ideas and finding them quickly. The best feature of Bear is the ability to organize notes relationally and not only hierarchically. With the ability to tag at sentence level, I can connect ideas across categories and later display them quickly in one search. One of the reasons I wanted to switch from Evernote is because tags could only be assigned at note level. I haven't used Evernote for a while, so perhaps this has since changed. For publishing notes, Bear is also superior with the ability to write in Markdown HTML, export as PDF, or create plaintext files. I now use Bear for work and research, and for keeping track of personal matters. Suggestions for future development: more themes (I love these!), support for tables, quick text recognition from a photo, new note from iPhone widget.
As Perfect a Note-taking app as I've found
I've used just about every note-taking app there is. Bear is the one that comes closest to meeting all my needs. It is easy, elegant, clean, fast, and yet very powerful and flexible. It syncs perfectly and quickly across all my devices. It is the center of all my computer workflows—business and personal notes, todo's, journaling, dream analysis, ideas, and whatever comes to mind. The nested tags keep my tags organized, and help me see just the notes I'm interested in. On the downside, it still is missing few features I'd like, automatic Table of Conntents, tables and backlinks in particular, but they are coming in the next update. I would personally like to see Bear be more scriptable, even as I've gotten it to work very effectively with OmniFocus (OF tasks have links to Bear notes, and I can create linked tasks from any part of a note into OF). I have multple scripts that create different kinds of notes.
In all, an excellent piece of software, with a team that's hard at work on improving it, without sacrificing the simplicty and elegance of the app. Highly recommended.
Developer Response ,
Thank you for your continued support of Bear. We're delighted you are enjoying your experience with us! Thank you also for your feedback as it helps us to improve moving forward ❤️ 🐻
Most Transformative App
I have been using Evernote heavily since 2009. In recent years, as it has become incrementally more bloated and more expensive, I’ve been looking for a replacement, but everything I found was missing some particular feature that I needed. Bear, while much simpler, and ostensibly less powerful, does absolutely everything I REALLY need for organization, writing, business tracking, and creative thought. It does it in a visually beautiful way, with a markup language that really makes the tool fade into subconscious and lets me record thoughts without distraction of too many buttons and gimmicks. Tagging, note linking, formatting, and organization are completely intuitive. The cost is far less than Evernote Premium, and there are not restrictions with using on all of my Apple devices.
I hope they can implement note sharing without messing with their formula, and I hope they expand to other platforms so I can share with friends, coworkers, and family, but if it stays just as it is today, Bear will continue to be the foundational piece of my workflow and creative and business processes.
Data Not Linked to You
The following data may be collected but it is not linked to your identity:
Privacy practices may vary, for example, based on the features you use or your age. Learn More
- Shiny Frog Ltd.
- 34.1 MB
- Requires macOS 10.11 or later.
English, French, German, Italian, Japanese, Korean, Portuguese, Russian, Simplified Chinese, Spanish, Traditional Chinese
- Age Rating
- © 2020 Shiny Frog Ltd.
- In-App Purchases
- Bear Pro $1.49
- Bear Pro $14.99