Bear is a focused, flexible notes app used by writers, lawyers, chefs, teachers, engineers, students, parents and more! Bear has quick organisation, editing tools, and export options to help you write quickly and share anywhere and preserve your privacy with encryption.
2017 Apple Design Award
App Store App of the Year 2016
“My journaling app of choice is Bear” - Kit Eaton, New York Times
*WRITE YOUR WAY* with flexible yet simple tools
- Tools stay out of your way so you can just write
- **NEW** Encrypt individual notes and lock Bear with Face/Touch ID (Bear Pro required. Learn more below)
- Easily create notes with Siri and iOS Shortcuts
- Use Apple Watch to dictate and append to recent notes
- Pick from over a dozen themes for the perfect writing space (requires Bear Pro. Learn more below)
- Support for sketching, drawing, and Apple Pencil (and other styli)
- Grab images, text, files, and clip web pages with Bear’s app extension
*ORGANIZE QUICKLY* with tasks and #tags
- Add #tags, #multi-word tags# and even #multiple/nested/tags anywhere in a note for quick organization
- Add tasks to notes to stay on track
- Archive notes to keep them around, but out of your way
- Use Cross-Note Links to build a body of work, reference other notes, and more
- Pick custom icons to help important tags stand out in the Sidebar
- Use emoji autocomplete to add style to your tasks, journals, headings, and more
- Multiple export options including HTML, PDF, DOCX, MD, JPG, EPUB, and TextBundle (some export options require Bear Pro)
- Copy part of a note in a variety of formats to paste elsewhere
- Easily share your notes to any third party app including Wordpress, Mail, Sparkle, etc...
*SEARCH ALL THE THINGS*
- Use Spotlight to search your notes from anywhere
- Quickly find what you need with keyword highlights
- Focus on specific types of notes with powerful Search Triggers. Try @task to find all notes with todos.
*USE IT EVERYWHERE* with sync in Bear Pro
- Sync your notes between Mac, iPad, iPhone, and Apple Watch
- Notes sync via iCloud, not our servers
- A single in-app subscription works across all your devices
*YOUR NOTES, NOT OURS*
- Bear is private at its core: We cannot see your notes, tags, or anything else
- **NEW** Encrypt individual notes with a password that is entirely private to you (Bear Pro required)
- **NEW** Lock Bear with Face/Touch ID (Bear Pro required)
- Export notes to portable formats like Plain Text, Markdown, and TextBundle
- With a Bear Pro subscription, your notes sync via iCloud, not our servers
- Backup and restore all notes with just a couple taps
*ENABLE ALL FEATURES WITH BEAR PRO*
One low, yearly subscription enables a variety of features on all your devices and keeps the Bear hugs coming.
- **NEW** Encrypt individual notes with a password that is entirely private to you
- **NEW** Lock Bear with Face/Touch ID
- Sync notes between your iPhone, iPad, and Mac via iCloud
- Advanced export to PDF, HTML, DOCX, JPG
- Over a dozen gorgeous app themes to help you create the best writing environment
- More themes are on the way
- Keep the Bear updates coming
$1.49 monthly, $14.99 annually (save 18%)
Price may vary by location. Subscriptions will be charged to your credit card through your iTunes account. Your subscription will automatically renew unless canceled at least 24 hours before the end of the current period. You will not be able to cancel the subscription once activated. After purchase, manage your subscriptions in App Store Account Settings. Any unused portion of a free trial period, will be forfeited when the user purchases a subscription.
$1.49 monthly, includes a one week free trial
$14.99 annually, includes a one month free trial
Terms of Service: http://www.bear-writer.com/terms/
* Fixed bug concerning editor attachments functionality which caused the usual file selection dialog to not appear.
* Fixed bug concerning widgets when they are displayed inside the widget library.
* On iPad, note links now always open in the current app instance.
We have a few of those ‘big-small’ changes in this update, including one new widget size, formatting display improvements in widgets, and some pesky Editor bugs on iOS 14.2.
**NEW LARGE SINGLE-NOTE WIDGET**
Can’t get enough of that one, special note on your Home Screen? Give it the large widget treatment for maximum note space.
**MORE FORMATTING IN WIDGETS**
Paragraphs, todos, and lists, oh my! They all now render properly in widgets so you can review, plan, and todo your way through the day.
**UNWANTED INDENTS, BE GONE**
We fixed a few Editor bugs on iOS 14.2, especially the odd indenting behavior some users experienced.
Widgets! We have small widgets, we have less small widgets, all coming to a home screen near you.
**Single note widget** (small, medium): Keep a note always in view, right on your home screen. Pick the widget, then flip it over to pick a note from Bear.
**Sidebar widget** (small, medium, large): View recent notes from key sections of the Sidebar, including: Notes, Untagged, Todo, Today, and any of your tags. Tap a note to open it in Bear, tap the label at the bottom to visit that location in Bear.
**Search widget** (small, medium, large): View the most recent notes that match a search query in Bear. PLUS, tap the label at the bottom to open that search query in Bear!
Ratings and ReviewsSee All
Steinbeck liked pencils, and Orwell had his trusty Remington typewriter. But us? We like Bear. It’s a writing app that’s as capable as the best of them—but doesn’t bury us in technical intricacies and toolbars. Linking notes is as easy as dropping a hashtag, and formatting your work is a total breeze. We especially love this Apple Design Award winner on iPad.
Most Transformative App
I have been using Evernote heavily since 2009. In recent years, as it has become incrementally more bloated and more expensive, I’ve been looking for a replacement, but everything I found was missing some particular feature that I needed. Bear, while much simpler, and ostensibly less powerful, does absolutely everything I REALLY need for organization, writing, business tracking, and creative thought. It does it in a visually beautiful way, with a markup language that really makes the tool fade into subconscious and lets me record thoughts without distraction of too many buttons and gimmicks. Tagging, note linking, formatting, and organization are completely intuitive. The cost is far less than Evernote Premium, and there are not restrictions with using on all of my Apple devices.
I hope they can implement note sharing without messing with their formula, and I hope they expand to other platforms so I can share with friends, coworkers, and family, but if it stays just as it is today, Bear will continue to be the foundational piece of my workflow and creative and business processes.
Best you can get to replace Evernote.
Power Evernote users here, with 12,500 notes and 2,570 tags that reached my wits end with Evernote’s delinquent absent-minded error-prone regressive programming. I tried a bunch of different competitors from Joplin, Notion, Zogo, and settled with Bear. It's exceptionally well designed on mobile. Desktop suffers from a lack of a WYSIWYG display bar option and support for tables. The web clipper on the desktop could use some work to perform better than Evernote's with different clipping options, like capturing the whole page instead of just simplified text. However, the mobile’s clipper is better. The import from Evernote works excellent if you don't use tags; otherwise, you'll have some manual work to do if you wanted nested tags setup. You'll have to do micro exports bases on the deepest level tag and manually move them after import to their new tag. I've accepted that I'll only move over essential notes, and the rest will stay as an archive in Evernote.
Security is also much better on Bear where you don't have Evernote reading your notes. They did a great job integrating with CloudKit for Sync. Took a while on import but is very fast now.
This app is definitely on its way to become a 5-star app to crush Evernote, a worthy goal that will bring riches and admiration to many people that are looking for “the one.”
Data Not Linked to You
The following data may be collected but it is not linked to your identity:
Privacy practices may vary, for example, based on the features you use or your age. Learn More
- Shiny Frog Ltd.
- 67.9 MB
- Requires iOS 11.0 or later.
- Requires iPadOS 11.0 or later.
- iPod touch
- Requires iOS 11.0 or later.
English, French, German, Italian, Japanese, Korean, Portuguese, Russian, Simplified Chinese, Spanish, Traditional Chinese
- Age Rating
- © 2020 Shiny Frog Ltd.
- In-App Purchases
- Monthly Pro subscription $1.49
- Yearly Pro subscription $14.99
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.
Get things done within this app using just your voice.