Bear is a focused, flexible notes app used by writers, lawyers, chefs, teachers, engineers, students, parents and more! Bear has quick organisation, editing tools, and export options to help you write quickly and share anywhere and preserve your privacy with encryption.
2017 Apple Design Award
App Store App of the Year 2016
“My journaling app of choice is Bear” - Kit Eaton, New York Times
*WRITE YOUR WAY* with flexible yet simple tools
- Tools stay out of your way so you can just write
- **NEW** Encrypt individual notes and lock Bear with Face/Touch ID (Bear Pro required. Learn more below)
- Easily create notes with Siri and iOS Shortcuts
- Use Apple Watch to dictate and append to recent notes
- Pick from over a dozen themes for the perfect writing space (requires Bear Pro. Learn more below)
- Support for sketching, drawing, and Apple Pencil (and other styli)
- Grab images, text, files, and clip web pages with Bear’s app extension
*ORGANIZE QUICKLY* with tasks and #tags
- Add #tags, #multi-word tags# and even #multiple/nested/tags anywhere in a note for quick organization
- Add tasks to notes to stay on track
- Archive notes to keep them around, but out of your way
- Use Cross-Note Links to build a body of work, reference other notes, and more
- Pick custom icons to help important tags stand out in the Sidebar
- Use emoji autocomplete to add style to your tasks, journals, headings, and more
- Multiple export options including HTML, PDF, DOCX, MD, JPG, EPUB, and TextBundle (some export options require Bear Pro)
- Copy part of a note in a variety of formats to paste elsewhere
- Easily share your notes to any third party app including Wordpress, Mail, Sparkle, etc...
*SEARCH ALL THE THINGS*
- Use Spotlight to search your notes from anywhere
- Quickly find what you need with keyword highlights
- Focus on specific types of notes with powerful Search Triggers. Try @task to find all notes with todos.
*USE IT EVERYWHERE* with sync in Bear Pro
- Sync your notes between Mac, iPad, iPhone, and Apple Watch
- Notes sync via iCloud, not our servers
- A single in-app subscription works across all your devices
*YOUR NOTES, NOT OURS*
- Bear is private at its core: We cannot see your notes, tags, or anything else
- **NEW** Encrypt individual notes with a password that is entirely private to you (Bear Pro required)
- **NEW** Lock Bear with Face/Touch ID (Bear Pro required)
- Export notes to portable formats like Plain Text, Markdown, and TextBundle
- With a Bear Pro subscription, your notes sync via iCloud, not our servers
- Backup and restore all notes with just a couple taps
*ENABLE ALL FEATURES WITH BEAR PRO*
One low, yearly subscription enables a variety of features on all your devices and keeps the Bear hugs coming.
- **NEW** Encrypt individual notes with a password that is entirely private to you
- **NEW** Lock Bear with Face/Touch ID
- Sync notes between your iPhone, iPad, and Mac via iCloud
- Advanced export to PDF, HTML, DOCX, JPG
- Over a dozen gorgeous app themes to help you create the best writing environment
- More themes are on the way
- Keep the Bear updates coming
$1.49 monthly, $14.99 annually (save 18%)
Price may vary by location. Subscriptions will be charged to your credit card through your iTunes account. Your subscription will automatically renew unless canceled at least 24 hours before the end of the current period. You will not be able to cancel the subscription once activated. After purchase, manage your subscriptions in App Store Account Settings. Any unused portion of a free trial period, will be forfeited when the user purchases a subscription.
$1.49 monthly, includes a one week free trial
$14.99 annually, includes a one month free trial
Terms of Service: http://www.bear-writer.com/terms/
* iPad trackpad support is here! -> Just in time for the new Apple Magic Keyboard. It also works with any mouse or trackpad compatible with iOS 13.4.
* You can now use `@date` and `@cdate` to search a specific year and/or month (e.g. `@date(12-2019)` and `@cdate(2019)` )
* Fixed an import problem with HTML files generated by the Apple Notes export script
* Fixed an iOS extension problem with videos exported from Photos
* Fixed an iOS markup problem that caused drawings to change color when in Dark Mode
* Fixed a word counter bug in Vietnamese scripts
* Various crash fixes
Some updates to x-callback-urls automation:
* `new_line` parameter for `/add-text` -> append text to a new line
* `open_note` parameter for `/open-note` -> allow to not open the note in Bear while reading its content
* `selected` parameter for `/open-note` -> Return the currently selected note (token required)
* Improved the editing performance with the Magic Keyboard to solve lag issues.
* Fixed the issue of crashes occurring within the Titled URL’s panel. In some conditions opening the panel for titled links caused a crash.
* Other crash fixes
NEW FEATURES FOR iOS 13 & iPadOS
* Dark Mode on iOS 13 and iPadOS. Bear will remember the themes you pick in Dark and Light modes.
* Work in Bear across multiple spaces in iPadOS. Open a note in Split View next to Safari, then work in a different note next Mail. Or open two different notes side-by-side!
* Annotate photos and PDFs. Circle objects in a photo or highlight important parts of a document. Also, When exporting a note to JPG or PDF, quickly annotate it before sharing to someone or another app.
1.7 NEW FEATURES
* Encrypt individual notes - Set a password to protect a sensitive note, and use Face/Touch ID to unlock it
* Lock Bear - Require Face/Touch ID to access Bear
* Spotlight search comes to macOS - Search your Bear notes while working in other apps, even if Bear isn’t open
* Live Note Links - Links to Bear notes from other notes now update automatically, even if the note title changes
* Emoji auto-complete - Anywhere in a note, type a colon (:) and a couple of letters to see emoji suggestions (try :smile for example!)
* New Safari extension - Bear now uses Apple’s latest Safari extension system. On the Mac, Bear automatically adds its extension to Safari (no separate download required), you just need to enable it in Safari preferences. It should now ask for permission only once.
* Safari extension settings moved into Bear - You can now control extension behavior from Bear’s settings
* New TagCons - Many by popular request! 33 new tagcons!
* Improvements to Spotlight search on iOS - Results should be snappier
* More notes on Apple Watch - Now sync up to 15 notes to your Apple Watch
* New Flicktype keyboard for faster writing on Apple Watch
* Two new Bear Pro themes - Gandalf and Ayu Mirage
Ratings and ReviewsSee All
An amazing app so close to perfection!
This app is truly amazing. I had tried probably close to a dozen list/to-do/notes apps during my time in gradschool and many worked alright but I never fell in love. But ever since I have had Bear, I am nearly perfectly content. It looks great, it syncs perfectly and instantly between all of my devices (iPhone, iPad, Macbook). The tagging system works really well for my feild of work. I use this app for both work and personal, and it is so great.
My only complaint and it will continue to plague my experience is that I cannot collaborate on any notes. It seems simple enough to add a feature so that my wife and I can collaborate on a grocery list or "movies we want to rent." But alas, this app will continue to gets lots and lots of run in my life (I use it extensively every single day!), however it will still make me disappointed everytime I have to use some other sub-par app just to make a collaborative note... Developers, hear my cry!
The five star ratings must be employees
I have been an Evernote user for about 8 years, but because of changes in pricing and privacy policies, I am in the market for a replacement. Based on the reviews, I thought Bear would meet my needs. My needs, IMHO, are fairly simple: fast , clean, cross-platform, powerful search. Being able to import web clippings, scans, and forwarded emails are definitely a plus. According to the reviews, it looked like Bear could handle most of those. Would that it were true.
Bear (on my Mac, iPhone, and iPad) is pretty. The tag process is not intuitive, but it works fine. The lack of notebooks is an issue, but I can get around that. But the BIG issue is that it will NOT sync. I won’t bore you with all the different ways I have tried to fix this. It won’t work. I have been in contact with Shiny Frog many times, and they are absolutely worthless. Every suggestion is on the level of “turn it off and then back on again.” I believe they know they have a dog and know that there is nothing that will make it work properly.
As I listed above, I have several other needs for a replacement note taker. But since I can’t test them without the ability to sync, this is a non-starter. I am willing to change my mind if there is anyone out there who can figure out what is wrong with how I am trying to use this app. But my 30 day “trial” is about to run out.
Most Transformative App
I have been using Evernote heavily since 2009. In recent years, as it has become incrementally more bloated and more expensive, I’ve been looking for a replacement, but everything I found was missing some particular feature that I needed. Bear, while much simpler, and ostensibly less powerful, does absolutely everything I REALLY need for organization, writing, business tracking, and creative thought. It does it in a visually beautiful way, with a markup language that really makes the tool fade into subconscious and lets me record thoughts without distraction of too many buttons and gimmicks. Tagging, note linking, formatting, and organization are completely intuitive. The cost is far less than Evernote Premium, and there are not restrictions with using on all of my Apple devices.
I hope they can implement note sharing without messing with their formula, and I hope they expand to other platforms so I can share with friends, coworkers, and family, but if it stays just as it is today, Bear will continue to be the foundational piece of my workflow and creative and business processes.
- Shiny Frog Ltd.
- 21 MB
OS X 10.11 or later, 64-bit processor
English, French, German, Italian, Japanese, Korean, Portuguese, Russian, Simplified Chinese, Spanish, Traditional Chinese
- Age Rating
- © 2019 Shiny Frog Ltd.
- In-App Purchases
- Bear Pro $1.49
- Bear Pro $14.99
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.