Beat Mirror uses your device's built-in microphone to detect musical tempo in real-time. Set a target tempo with the special tap-for-tempo feature and then start the music. A real-time graph of your tempo will appear right away, allowing you to scroll through your tempo history and see trends. Perfect for musicians looking to build their internal rhythm, or to see the tempo of their favorite songs in real-time!
"Beat Mirror truly is simplicity at its finest. That quality is missing from most apps who try to cram too many features into one app thus making it difficult to use and many times buggy. We feel like your app is VERY good. We're reviewing Beat Mirror and it will be a part of the next show. It's got nothing but thumbs up!" - Phil Smith of "Drummer's Weekly Groovecast" (podcast)
"When I first heard about Beat Mirror, I was kind of skeptical but after trying it out for weeks now and playing with it everyday, I'm mindblown. Alex really wanted to put a focus on helping drummers improve their internal clock and I really think he's done so." - Richard Ducat of "Drummers I Like" (podcast)
"Overall, this app is so quick and simple to use, there's not really an excuse as to why you wouldn't use it during practice sessions, just to see how you’re improving. If you're a drummer, having an app on your phone or tablet like Beat Mirror just makes sense." - Laura Barnes of MI-PRO (mi-pro.co.uk)
Good music needs good rhythm. But learning to stay on beat—learning to groove—isn't always easy. Build your inner metronome with Beat Mirror and catch yourself when you're speeding up or slowing down. Here’s what Beat Mirror has to offer:
- Wide tempo range. Tempo detection between 40 bpm and 208 bpm.
- Fast. Detects tempo quickly and accurately.
- Flexible. Accurate across time signatures (e.g., 4/4, 6/8) and rhythm styles (e.g., swing).
- Real-time, scrollable graph. Displays current tempo and tempo history in real-time.
- Easy-to-read interface. Optimized for various light environments, such as stages and practice spaces.
- Tap pad. A special tap pad lets you set a target tempo easily and intuitively.
- Custom count-in. Beat Mirror gives you an optional count-in before you start playing.
- Versatile. Perfect for solo practice, band rehearsals, recorded music, and you can even use it at concerts!
- Tutorial. An in-app tutorial gets you up and running in a flash!
TIPS FOR BEST PERFORMANCE:
- Avoid handling your device during tempo measurement.
- Be mindful of competing noise near the device's microphone (e.g., conversation, typing).
- Unplug any headphones with a built-in microphone.
NOTES ON USAGE:
- "Target Tempo." Beat Mirror is aimed at musicians and bands looking to build their internal rhythm and musical skills. With that in mind, you are prompted for a "target tempo" (the tempo you're aiming for) prior to tempo detection. To ensure highly accurate results, the detection range is limited to roughly ±20% of your target tempo. (Tempos outside of this range will not be detected.)
- Recorded music. To detect the tempo of recorded music using Beat Mirror, follow these steps:
1) Play a song from your favorite music player app using the device speaker (i.e., unplug your headphones). Or, play the song from a different device altogether.
2) Open Beat Mirror and set a rough target tempo by tapping along.
3) The song's precise tempo will then be displayed in real-time.
Questions about Beat Mirror? Please don't hesitate to get in touch at alex[at]tenkettles[dot]com. Happy practicing! -Alex
You asked for it and here it is: a landscape view for iPhone! A couple more things too:
• New in-app tutorial gets you up and running in a flash
• More tempo history is now shown before auto-scrolling begins
Questions, comments, feedback? Get in touch anytime at alex[at]tenkettles[dot]com. Want to help support Beat Mirror? A review on the App Store is a big help for our little (independent) company. :) -Alex
Ratings and Reviews
I am a drummer, and have been using this both with my iPhone, and with my iPad. Recently I connected the iPad to the wall mounted TV in my studio so the other band members can see what used to be only visible to me. After I first installed it on my iPhone I was at a concert, and I noticed the band was playing to a sequencer. I fired it up, tapped in the target tempo, and bam! BeatMirror showed the tempo and did not waver one bit, as should be expected. When the band resumed playing without the sequencer, the displayed tempo varied appropriately. Most gigging bands are pretty tight, so there wasn’t much variance, like +/- 2/3/4 bpm - which was expected. I’m very happy with it!
Did exactly what it said it would do
I set it next to my computer and used it to monitor a recording of a rehearsal. It gave a real good sense of how well we were keeping time. Will be using this a lot for live rehearsals. Thank you!
I only record drums now but retired I have plenty time. With iPad mounted by kit & QSC mixer I can see how much drift I have. It is actually less than I thought. It’s easy, fast & accurate in real time. Wish I had it 40 years ago as a kid! Highly recommended~!!!
Data Not Collected
The developer does not collect any data from this app.
Privacy practices may vary, for example, based on the features you use or your age. Learn More
- Ten Kettles Inc.
- 4.1 MB
- Requires iOS 12.4 or later.
- Requires iPadOS 12.4 or later.
- iPod touch
- Requires iOS 12.4 or later.
- Age Rating
- © 2017–2021 Ten Kettles Inc.
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.