Better is a privacy tool for Safari that protects you from trackers and privacy-eroding ads on the web.
Make your web experience safer, lighter, and faster in Safari on iPhone and iPad.
How is Better different?
• Blocks tracking scripts, tracking pixels, and behavioural advertising.
• Uses our unique, hand-curated, and open tracker database based on our own web crawls. Browse the encyclopaedia-like tracker entries on our web site if you fancy learning more.
• We identify and block the most prevalent trackers. This makes Better’s block list lightweight and effective.
• We base our blocking decisions on the principles of the Ethical Design Manifesto (https://ind.ie/ethical-design).
• Developed and curated by Ind.ie – that’s Laura and Aral – a tiny two-person-and-one-husky not-for-profit striving for social justice in the digital age.
• Open, transparent, and free as in freedom.
• Improves the readability of popular web sites.
• Spotlights the worst offenders… Did you know that the worst site we found on the web had 172 trackers? Better blocks them all and makes that site 4× lighter and 15.8× faster!
• Blocks blocker blockers (try saying that quickly a few times!) Whenever we can, we try to protect you from sites that try to put you at risk by forcing you to turn off your privacy tools.
• Do Not Block list enables you to turn Better off for sites that don’t play well with Better. Easily contact us about those sites so we can fix the experience for everyone.
5 star App Store reviews from around the world:
• “Best blocker I've tried yet: Clear and straight forward business model plus actually works. Feel safe blocking trackers and knowing the developers won't sell you out. Can't beat that.” (USA)
• “This app does everything it promises to do and sets a new gold standard in content blockers.” (Belgium)
• “This piece of software is just THE most essential thing to stay sane on today’s world wide web.” (Germany)
• “Thanks for such an incredibly simple app to make the web just that bit better!” (UK)
• “I love better, I use it on my phone and I’m very happy to see it on the Mac!” (Germany)
• “Use it and see how your browsing changes: considering how vastly different my browsing experience is now on my iPhone I shudder to think of how much data has been gathered about me. Also, pages load significantly faster now. All in all it's a great app. You don't need to understand it, you just need to download it and run it.” (South Africa)
• “Does exactly what it advertises, constantly updated, and I really support the mission of this company.” (USA)
• “Fantastic blocker with a rational, ethical approach to privacy and monetization in this digital age.” (USA)
• “Honest privacy: Thanks for defending the public against surveillance capitalism!” (USA)
• “Buying this not only benefits you, it actively supports the ethos of internet privacy.” (USA)
• “Fantastic: The best adblocker I have tried.” (USA)
• “Best Adblocker out there: Unobtrusive. Works fast & reliable” (Germany)
• “It just works!” (Germany)
• “Fantastic blocker: This is definitely the best iOS app for ads, content & tracker blocking!” (Bulgaria)
• “A fantastic approach to ad blocking & preservation of user privacy” (Australia)
• “Thanks to these two brave people who made this app. It gives me at least some peace of mind about the nasty surveillance practises of the big tech companies.” (Netherlands)
• “Better web: Fixes so many sites without you even noticing it.” (Finland)
• “Best ad & tracking blocker-type app I've used on the appstore!” (Norway)
• “Great blocker: I do not see as many ads anymore, my phone runs much faster, and I am consuming less data than I was before.” (Canada)
• “It's good to see such nice people stand up to tracking and malvertising. This app does everything it promises to do and sets a new gold standard in content blockers. Spend a few bucks to take back the web from disrespectful business models. You won't regret it.” (Belgium)
• Even simpler interface, consistent with the macOS version.
• Displays version and last update information for blocking rules.
• Exceptions is now called the Do Not Block list.
• Comes bundled with the latest blocking rules.
Ratings and Reviews
Better is the Best Blocker
This is my favorite blocker. They block all the trackers and the offensive ads, while leaving some of the good ones. I'm not interested in depriving legitimate websites of revenue, I'm interested in not being tracked and not having my online experience ruined by intrusive ads.
When there is a site that doesn't work, or the site has taken countermeasures, I've found that their support responds quickly and they make sure they get it fixed.
Now, when sites nag about turning off a blocker, I don't feel bad. They can turn off tracking and they won't be blocked. We can help them earn a living, but we don't need to pay with our privacy.
Developer Response ,
Thanks @Artiste212. You’ve made my day! We really appreciate your support. 💙—Laura
Simple app that does big things.
Privacy matters. If you are searching for a funeral home after a loss in your family...do you then want advertisers to serve up Ads of funeral homes for weeks afterwards? That would be a painful thing to experience. That’s a harsh, but true example of what Better helps prevent. What you share with websites should be decided by you, and not tracked at all times. The Better app and the team involved are valiantly fighting to protect the privacy of everyone. Better does its job well.
Developer Response ,
Thanks @Nichod! 💙 — Laura
Best content blocker for privacy and speed
Of all the content blockers out there claiming to increase browsing speed by 4x or so, this is the only one I’ve found that delivers. It is also a rarity to run into a site that is broken while using this, which is something I cannot say about blockers that try to do more than just protect my privacy.
Developer Response ,
Thanks @Funkmaster356795790! We’ll be bringing back the information about the latest blocking rules updates in the coming weeks. For now, you can always check our website to see when new blocking rules have been added: https://better.fyi/news —Laura
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.