New blocking rules! On 30th June 2021, Laura blocked one blocker blocker, fixed three sites and blocked five new trackers.
Better is a privacy tool for Safari that protects you from trackers and privacy-eroding ads on the web.
Make your web experience safer, lighter, and faster in Safari on Mac.
How is Better different?
• Blocks tracking scripts, tracking pixels, and behavioural advertising.
• Uses our unique, hand-curated, and open tracker database based on our own web crawls. Browse the encyclopaedia-like tracker entries on our web site if you fancy learning more.
• We identify and block the most prevalent trackers. This makes Better’s block list lightweight and effective.
• We base our blocking decisions on the principles of the Ethical Design Manifesto (https://ind.ie/ethical-design).
• Developed and curated by Ind.ie – that’s Laura and Aral – a tiny two-person-and-one-husky not-for-profit striving for social justice in the digital age.
• Open, transparent, and free as in freedom.
• Improves the readability of popular web sites.
• Spotlights the worst offenders… Did you know that the worst site we found on the web had 172 trackers? Better blocks them all and makes that site 4× lighter and 15.8× faster!
• Blocks blocker blockers (try saying that quickly a few times!) Whenever we can, we try to protect you from sites that try to put you at risk by forcing you to turn off your privacy tools.
• Your personal Do Not Block list enables you to turn Better off for sites that don’t play well with Better. Easily contact us about those sites so we can fix the experience for everyone.
5 star App Store reviews from around the world:
• “Best blocker I've tried yet: Clear and straight forward business model plus actually works. Feel safe blocking trackers and knowing the developers won't sell you out. Can't beat that.” (USA)
• “This app does everything it promises to do and sets a new gold standard in content blockers.” (Belgium)
• “This piece of software is just THE most essential thing to stay sane on today’s world wide web.” (Germany)
• “Thanks for such an incredibly simple app to make the web just that bit better!” (UK)
• “I love better, I use it on my phone and I’m very happy to see it on the Mac!” (Germany)
• “Does exactly what it advertises, constantly updated, and I really support the mission of this company.” (USA)
• “Fantastic blocker with a rational, ethical approach to privacy and monetization in this digital age.” (USA)
• “Honest privacy: Thanks for defending the public against surveillance capitalism!” (USA)
• “Buying this not only benefits you, it actively supports the ethos of internet privacy.” (USA)
• “Fantastic: The best adblocker I have tried.” (USA)
• “Best Adblocker out there: Unobtrusive. Works fast & reliable” (Germany)
• “It just works!” (Germany)
• “A fantastic approach to ad blocking & preservation of user privacy” (Australia)
• “Thanks to these two brave people who made this app. It gives me at least some peace of mind about the nasty surveillance practises of the big tech companies.” (Netherlands)
• “Better web: Fixes so many sites without you even noticing it.” (Finland)
• “Best ad & tracking blocker-type app I've used on the appstore!” (Norway)
• “Great app: Does exactly as described, works it’s magic in the background whilst I’m browsing the web.” (Sweden)
• “Speed and privacy: Easy to install and does exactly what it’s supposed to: frees your browsing of megabytes of privacy-invading tracking. Even if you don’t mind unknown third parties building up and selling profiles of your browsing behaviour (and everything that can be inferred form it), the speed increases of both download and rendering by removing those trackers really surprised me. It’s simply made browsing the web far quicker and is worth the money for that alone.” (UK)
• “It's good to see such nice people stand up to tracking and malvertising. This app does everything it promises to do and sets a new gold standard in content blockers. Spend a few bucks to take back the web from disrespectful business models. You won't regret it.” (Belgium)
# Good news!
In the last update, we informed you that that version would be the last update to Better under the Ind.ie account as we are moving to Small Technology Foundation. Since then, Apple has stepped in and answered our call for help so we can keep updating the app from our current account.
## What this means for you:
- Everything will continue as before, you don’t need to do anything.
- This app will continue to get updates.
- At some point, you will see our organisation name change from Ind.ie (Article 12) to Small Technology Foundation.
Laura and I would like to take this opportunity to thank all of you who expressed your support during this period and donated to our not for profit to help us during this difficult time.
Ratings and Reviews
Scramble for Safari Add Blockers
Apple is killing safari extensions at the end of 2018 and Safari 12 deletes or uninstalls most. Better blocker app $1 worked well on my NYTimes test page and put one item in safari extensions and on the menu bar. Wipr was highly rated but terrible in my hands. Adblock Plus did not work well as an extension and the app got terrible ratings. ublock origin extension still works but Better was faster and cleaner. Adblock for safari puts 2 extensions on and shows up in the dock if open. It did not work well for me but is a work in progress and may get better.
Developer Response ,
Vielen Dank, @frugrat —Laura
This app does a great job at blocking sites without breaking them. 99% of where I go on the internet works fine, with very few exceptions. I wish there was an option to hide the icon in the menu bar however.
I love this and really respect the developers
I've had great success using this app and incredible support from the developers. I have been following their story ad fully trust them to be honestly doing their best.
Despite being rather cheap and not at all well to do, this is an app I will gladly purchase again to support this kind of small, ethical developer.
Developer Response ,
Thanks @Artiste212, we really appreciate your support 💙 —Laura
Data Not Collected
The developer does not collect any data from this app.
Privacy practices may vary, for example, based on the features you use or your age. Learn More
- Article 12
- 10.3 MB
- Requires macOS 10.11 or later.
- Age Rating
- © 2016-2021 Aral Balkan
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.