New blocking rules! On 29th April 2021, Laura blocked a blocker blocker, fixed eight sites and blocked four new trackers.
Better is a privacy tool for Safari that protects you from trackers and privacy-eroding ads on the web.
Make your web experience safer, lighter, and faster in Safari on iPhone and iPad.
How is Better different?
• Blocks tracking scripts, tracking pixels, and behavioural advertising.
• Uses our unique, hand-curated, and open tracker database based on our own web crawls. Browse the encyclopaedia-like tracker entries on our web site if you fancy learning more.
• We identify and block the most prevalent trackers. This makes Better’s block list lightweight and effective.
• We base our blocking decisions on the principles of the Ethical Design Manifesto (https://ind.ie/ethical-design).
• Developed and curated by Ind.ie – that’s Laura and Aral – a tiny two-person-and-one-husky not-for-profit striving for social justice in the digital age.
• Open, transparent, and free as in freedom.
• Improves the readability of popular web sites.
• Spotlights the worst offenders… Did you know that the worst site we found on the web had 172 trackers? Better blocks them all and makes that site 4× lighter and 15.8× faster!
• Blocks blocker blockers (try saying that quickly a few times!) Whenever we can, we try to protect you from sites that try to put you at risk by forcing you to turn off your privacy tools.
• Do Not Block list enables you to turn Better off for sites that don’t play well with Better. Easily contact us about those sites so we can fix the experience for everyone.
5 star App Store reviews from around the world:
• “Best blocker I've tried yet: Clear and straight forward business model plus actually works. Feel safe blocking trackers and knowing the developers won't sell you out. Can't beat that.” (USA)
• “This app does everything it promises to do and sets a new gold standard in content blockers.” (Belgium)
• “This piece of software is just THE most essential thing to stay sane on today’s world wide web.” (Germany)
• “Thanks for such an incredibly simple app to make the web just that bit better!” (UK)
• “I love better, I use it on my phone and I’m very happy to see it on the Mac!” (Germany)
• “Use it and see how your browsing changes: considering how vastly different my browsing experience is now on my iPhone I shudder to think of how much data has been gathered about me. Also, pages load significantly faster now. All in all it's a great app. You don't need to understand it, you just need to download it and run it.” (South Africa)
• “Does exactly what it advertises, constantly updated, and I really support the mission of this company.” (USA)
• “Fantastic blocker with a rational, ethical approach to privacy and monetization in this digital age.” (USA)
• “Honest privacy: Thanks for defending the public against surveillance capitalism!” (USA)
• “Buying this not only benefits you, it actively supports the ethos of internet privacy.” (USA)
• “Fantastic: The best adblocker I have tried.” (USA)
• “Best Adblocker out there: Unobtrusive. Works fast & reliable” (Germany)
• “It just works!” (Germany)
• “Fantastic blocker: This is definitely the best iOS app for ads, content & tracker blocking!” (Bulgaria)
• “A fantastic approach to ad blocking & preservation of user privacy” (Australia)
• “Thanks to these two brave people who made this app. It gives me at least some peace of mind about the nasty surveillance practises of the big tech companies.” (Netherlands)
• “Better web: Fixes so many sites without you even noticing it.” (Finland)
• “Best ad & tracking blocker-type app I've used on the appstore!” (Norway)
• “Great blocker: I do not see as many ads anymore, my phone runs much faster, and I am consuming less data than I was before.” (Canada)
• “It's good to see such nice people stand up to tracking and malvertising. This app does everything it promises to do and sets a new gold standard in content blockers. Spend a few bucks to take back the web from disrespectful business models. You won't regret it.” (Belgium)
# Good news!
In the last update, we informed you that that version would be the last update to Better under the Ind.ie account as we are moving to Small Technology Foundation. Since then, Apple has stepped in and answered our call for help so we can keep updating the app from our current account.
## What this means for you:
- Everything will continue as before, you don’t need to do anything.
- This app will continue to get updates.
- At some point, you will see our organisation name change from Ind.ie (Article 12) to Small Technology Foundation.
Laura and I would like to take this opportunity to thank all of you who expressed your support during this period and donated to our not for profit to help us during this difficult time.
Ratings and Reviews
Easy and safe protection from a non-profit
Created by two individuals, this content blocker for Safari on iOS isn’t influenced by any mega-corporations or ad-tech interests. Save battery life and data costs while enjoying less monitoring.
Your settings are synced through iCloud to your other devices, and Apple prevents the developers from accessing any of your personal data or web browser history.
(The developers release over-the-air updates to the blocking rules frequently - you’ll rarely have to update the app itself.)
If you have an issue with this disabling all or part of a particular site, you can report it to them to help others, or immediately whitelist it yourself with just a few clicks.
Highly recommended. For Safari on iPhones and iPads only. (They also have a version for macOS Safari, for separate purchase, on that app store.)
This supports “Family Sharing”, but if you’re happy with it I’m sure their non-profit accepts donations. 😊
[Disclaimer: I don’t know the developers; I’m just a happy paying customer from the ‘other side of the pond’]
Developer Response ,
Thank you so much @Jim Grisham, we really appreciate your support! 💙 —Laura
Simple app that does big things.
Privacy matters. If you are searching for a funeral home after a loss in your family...do you then want advertisers to serve up Ads of funeral homes for weeks afterwards? That would be a painful thing to experience. That’s a harsh, but true example of what Better helps prevent. What you share with websites should be decided by you, and not tracked at all times. The Better app and the team involved are valiantly fighting to protect the privacy of everyone. Better does its job well.
Developer Response ,
Thanks @Nichod! 💙 — Laura
The developer is highly responsive and the app is simple to use and works well. The only question I had was the purpose of the app (not extension) it self and Laura replied to my email quickly, letting me know it’s just for updates to the list of blocked ads!
Get it and forget it’s installed and browse faster with more security. I’ve bought it for Macs at home and work and all my iOS devices.
Developer Response ,
Thanks @W Ferox, we really appreciate your support. —Laura
Data Not Collected
The developer does not collect any data from this app.
Privacy practices may vary, for example, based on the features you use or your age. Learn More
- Article 12
- 11.7 MB
- Requires iOS 11.0 or later.
- Requires iPadOS 11.0 or later.
- iPod touch
- Requires iOS 11.0 or later.
- Age Rating
- © 2015-2021 Aral Balkan
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.