Between the Lines Level1 Lt HD 4+
For social communication!
Hamaguchi Learning & Development, LLC
Designed for iPad
A great way to practice social communication skills for elementary age kids!
Hamaguchi Apps for Speech, Language & Auditory Development presents a groundbreaking iPad app designed for upper elementary students and older, who would benefit from practice interpreting vocal intonation, facial expressions, perspective-taking, body language, and idiomatic or slang expressions. Using real photographs, voices and short mini-video clips of a variety of social situations and expressions, this app provides a dynamic way to help learn and practice interpreting messages that are “between the lines” and simply can’t be replicated with worksheets and static flashcards.
Check out our demo video on Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rRy4QF1E1Y8
This is Level 1 Lite, which presents content that is a perfect introduction to our Between the Lines app series. This lite app provides 12 samples of each of the three activities for a total of 36 tasks and is for a single user only. (The full version provides 204 total tasks)
This app uses American expressions and body language.
There are three activities in this app:
1. Listening: The user hears a voice speak a sentence, e.g., “Ewww!” A question is then asked, “Who said it?” The user is shown a series of photographs. Depending upon the settings selected, there can be 2, 3 or 4 choices shown. The user touches the correct facial expression that matches the voice.
2. Body Language: A very short video-clip is shown that depicts an interaction or situation. For example, a family is shown at a restaurant. A friend walks up and says, “Hey, did you hear the news about Mr. Becker?” (smiling) The camera closes in on this woman and the narrator says, “What is she thinking?” The user’s task is to look at the choices of responses and select the one that matches the facial expression/body language.
3. Expressions: A very short video-clip is shown that depicts an actor speaking a sentence that contains an idiomatic or slang expression, e.g., “She’s kind of nosy.’” The user is then asked, “What does that mean?” Slang expressions that might be considered offensive ("that movie sucks") are included in a separate setting within the Activities tab. This is a new feature! They are not included in the default setting unless specifically selected.
The lite version is for a single user only. The percentage correct is reported for each user’s performance on each of the three activities. The user can select his/her own individual settings. Settings include: Selection of the activities, order of the activities (or random), praise phrases and correct sound effect bell on/off; answer choices (group of 2, 3 or 4), how to display choices (automatically or manually) and whether to move forward automatically or by touching an arrow. Progress can be tracked, and displayed or not displayed.
Reward animations are provided at selected intervals for a welcome fun and break. This is not a game of skill, but a fun diversion. The lite version includes one game, Darts.
*Please contact our tech support if you are experiencing any technical issues with our apps. We will always help you troubleshoot it and get back to you generally within one business day. We cannot respond to reviews and there are generally easy solutions to every issue. firstname.lastname@example.org
Developed by licensed and ASHA-certified speech-language pathologist and author, Patti Hamaguchi, M.A., CCC-SLP. To find out more about this app and our other upcoming projects, visit our website: www.hamaguchiapps.com
Text issue has been fixed.
Ratings and Reviews
I like the concept of this app and love level 2. The BTL level 2 loads and is fine, but level one freezes after one question without fail. Please fix this problem.
Developer Response ,
We have long since fixed this bug, and continue to update all our apps frequently, so they work with the ever-changing IOS. Any time you have an issue, please email us directly at email@example.com and let us know you are having a problem.
Between the Lines Level 1 Lite HD
Between the Lines Level 1 Lite HD is designed to help increase and build awareness of body language,vocal intonation and facial expressions. The lite version will allow a guest user and addition of one more player. This app will track data on the players as they choose the correct or incorrect response to given situations. Using facial cues in pictures or statements to explain the situation the student is scored on listening skills, or body language recognition . The setting button allow one to tailor the activities, choose the encouragement, number of answer choices, the reward and how often and how to track progress. This is a nice app with great pictures/ and short video clips and a voice that is easy to listen to. The lite version is great if you only have one player and provides quite a few senarios. Upgrading to full will allow for up to 75 users and 204 tasks total. This is an excellent app for Speech Therapists to use.
Developer Response ,
I have a child with HF-ASD. I imagine,like me, you are choosing this app to teach pragmatics. The lessons are set up wonderfully. The child can work at his own pace and can repeat the videos or audio as needed. Also nice is the gentle prompt of an incorrect answer with an x in the choice-nothing more. What I didn't like about the app and the reason I will not use it with my son has to do with the reward game. In this game, the user taps a button to throw a ball at a dunk tank to dunk a cartoon man into the tank. Where the ball hits is random (ie the users cannot control it), there're are more misses than hits, and when the user misses the man makes negative poor sportsmanship type comments such as "ha ha", "you missed" in a teasing tone. The kids who have trouble with pragmatics should be provided a positive role model as THIS is what we are trying to teach! Perhaps if the developers change this cartoon man's attitude, I will use the app with my son but there is no way I am going to teach him that poor sportsmanship is a reward!
Developer Response ,
Hi CapeCod454girl. Thanks so much for the input. We appreciate the feedback and please know that you can adjust the settings so that the dunk tank game doesn't play at all. Your friends at Hamaguchi Apps
Data Not Collected
The developer does not collect any data from this app.
Privacy practices may vary, for example, based on the features you use or your age. Learn More
- Hamaguchi Learning & Development, LLC
- 227.9 MB
- Requires iPadOS 14.0 or later.
- Requires macOS 11.0 or later and a Mac with Apple M1 chip or later.
- Age Rating
- 4+, Made for Ages 9–11
- © Copyright 2013 Hamaguchi Apps, a division of Hamaguchi Learning & Development, LLC All Rights Reserved