Between the Lines Level 2 HD 4+
Social communication practice!
Hamaguchi Learning & Development, LLC
Designed for iPad
A great way to practice social communication skills for elementary-middle school age kids!
Hamaguchi Apps for Speech, Language & Auditory Development's groundbreaking iPad app is designed for elementary through high school students, who would benefit from practice interpreting vocal intonation, facial expressions, perspective-taking, body language, and idiomatic or slang expressions. Using real photographs, voices and short mini-video clips of a variety of social situations and expressions, this app provides a dynamic way to help learn and practice interpreting messages that are “between the lines” and simply can’t be replicated with worksheets and static flashcards. Scenes in the Body Language activity feature interactions that take place in the following settings: restaurant, school, park, bedroom, birthday party, in front of a school, mall, family room, kitchen, dining room, and fitness center.
Check our demo on Youtube: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rRy4QF1E1Y8
This app uses American expressions and body language. It is a companion app to our Between the Lines Level 1-containing the same 3 activities, with different content for continued learning. Most of the activities are about the same level of difficulty, but some are slightly more challenging.
There are three activities in this app, with a total of 199 tasks:
1. Listening: The user hears a voice speak a sentence, e.g., “I got an A on my Spelling test! ” A question is then asked, “Who said it?” The user is shown a series of photographs. Depending upon the settings selected, there can be 2, 3 or 4 choices shown. The user touches the correct facial expression that matches the voice.
2. Body Language: A very short video-clip is shown that depicts an interaction or situation. For example, a teenager asks her mother, “Mom—so is it ok if I sleepover Briana’s tonight?” Her mother responds with, “Is her mother going to be home?” The teen looks away and hesitates, “Uh..yeah…yeah.” The camera closes in and we can see she is most likely lying. The narrator asks, “What is she thinking?” The user’s task is to look at the choices of responses and select the one that matches the facial expression/body language.
3. Expressions: A very short video-clip is shown that depicts an actor speaking a sentence that contains an idiomatic expression, e.g., “They caught the burglar red-handed.’” The user is then asked, “What does that mean?”
The game can be played by up to 75 users or as a group. The percentage correct is reported for each user’s performance on each of the three activities. Settings include: Selection of the activities, order of the activities (or random), praise phrases and correct sound effect bell on/off; answer choices (group of 2, 3 or 4), how to display choices (automatically or manually) and whether to move forward automatically or by touching an arrow. Progress can be tracked, and displayed or not displayed.
Reward animations are provided at selected intervals for a welcome fun and break including Dunk Tank, Bull’s Eye (darts), and Knock ‘Em Down. These are not games of skill, but a fun diversion.
Data can be printed, saved or emailed.
*Please contact our tech support if you are experiencing any technical issues with our apps. We will always help you troubleshoot it and get back to you generally within one business day. We cannot respond to reviews and there are generally easy solutions to every issue. email@example.com
Developed by licensed speech-language pathologist, Patti Hamaguchi, M.A., CCC-SLP. Visit our website: www.hamaguchiapps.com
Text issue has been fixed.
Ratings and Reviews
Fantastic social skills app with video for context
Excellent way to help kids understand expressions, body language/social language and tone of voice. The brief video taped scenarios provide real life context rather than just still illustrations to view. I LOVE IT!
Developer Response ,
Thanks so much Mary Lu! So glad you like the app. Your friends at Hamaguchi Apps.
I purchased levels 1 & 2. I am using these with kids at school and in private therapy. Love the videos and pictures! It is proving to be very successful and targets the skills my kids need.
Developer Response ,
Even though it's been over 4 years we wanted to thank you for your kind review and rating. We hope the app is still well-used and beneficial for your students! (Apple is just now allowing developers to respond)
If it worked it would be great
Paid $20 for this app and it just kicks me out every time I try to use it. It refuses to load.
Developer Response ,
Please contact our tech support at firstname.lastname@example.org for help with this issue. They will definitely be able to sort this out. It shouldn't be doing this, as we just updated the app. They can troubleshoot solutions. Please contact them. Your friends at Hamaguchi Apps
Data Not Collected
The developer does not collect any data from this app.
Privacy practices may vary, for example, based on the features you use or your age. Learn More
- Hamaguchi Learning & Development, LLC
- 229.6 MB
- Requires iPadOS 14.0 or later.
- Requires macOS 11.0 or later and a Mac with Apple M1 chip or later.
- Age Rating
- 4+, Made for Ages 9–11
- © Copyright 2012 Hamaguchi Apps, a division of Hamaguchi Learning & Development, LLC. All Rights Reserved
Up to six family members can use this app with Family Sharing enabled.