Use Bike to write, think, organize.
Make lists, take notes, create documents.
Bike's an unusually fast writing app designed for your Mac.
It can handle big projects that break other outliners.
Bike's also fast at the basics–opening files, scrolling views, and resizing windows.
Bike won’t slow your Mac down.
Use it as the main app for a big writing project, or as a supporting app for notes and ideas.
Standard file formats, shortcuts support, and scripting allow Bike to integrate with your existing workflows.
Your ideas flow smoothly across the screen.
You get the power of outlining combined with the flexibility of a text editor.
Bike is a powerful tool that's also enjoyable to use.
• Clean and simple outliner
• Fluid outlining experience
• Fold and focus to manage big outlines
• Fast keyboard navigation & commands
• Fast fully native macOS Application
• Innovative rich text editor
• Checklists, ordered lists, more
• Fast "Focus Heading" navigation
• Improved macOS text checking
• Great at text and outline editing
• Word count and fullscreen editing
• Optional navigation bar with history
• Typewriter scrolling & text focus modes
• Active support community ready to help
• Printing, quicklook, and icon thumbnails
• Bike uses open file formats. (.html, .opml, .txt)
• Use Shortcuts to control and automate Bike
• Use AppleScript to control and automate Bike
• Added Shift-Return to insert row above
• Added Outline > Expand/Collapse All by Level
• Added "Links" setting panel to control row link behavior
• Added support for Control-N and Control-P in choice palette
• Updated to Xcode 15 and Swift 5.9 build process
• Changed caret affinity to downstream after pasting
• Changed "Add Link to Row" to insert linked text on empty selection
• Fixed case where hiding window could also collapse rows
• Fixed crash case when command-click arrow to focus in
• Fixed to discard marked text on mouse down
Ratings and Reviews
I don't usually go for apps that lack cross platform support with iOS, but I have been looking for an app that folds text for years. This one is great. Not only does it fold text, but it has smooth animations that just make the app feel extremely responsive.
My only critique is that it doesn't seem to work with grammarly go. However, since I work work using plain text and markdown, I can always just correct errors in another app.
Incredibly well done. I plan to buy on the developer's website.
Developer Response ,
Glad to hear Bike is author approved. My goal is to support longer form writing, but I don't do much longer form writing myself, so I'm never quite sure that it's up to the task.
I think to support Grammarly I need to add accessibility support. Something that I haven't done yet, but that is on my long term todo list.
This app gets better and better...
The short: terrible icon, few features at the moment, snappy performance, immense potential. Hoping this new pricing model allows for long term focus and development.
UPDATE: The developer has added all kinds of great features to this app since launch, and it now feels like one of the most underrated apps in the App Store.
I wish for an in-app library to keep my files together like Ulysses, iA Writer, etc., but aside from that, Bike is a 5-star app and worth your attention.
Developer Response ,
Glad you like the improvements. Library is definitely on my wish list too.
I don't write reviews often
This app fits seemlessly with the way I think. It's expressive and allows for following trails of focus.
I get scattered when I'm solving problems, and being able to brain dump, then narrow in on sections of a problem is sort of game changing.
The keyboard controls are smooth, and I really enjoy thinking this way.
The only thing I would enjoy more is to have this app in more places -- particularly the iPad. Image support would also be fantastic.
Developer Response ,
Thanks for giving Bike a try and glad you like it.
I don't have a timeline, but iPad and images/attachments definitely are on my todo list.
Data Linked to You
The following data may be collected and linked to your identity:
Privacy practices may vary, for example, based on the features you use or your age. Learn More
- Jesse Grosjean
- 9.5 MB
- Requires macOS 11.0 or later.
- Age Rating
- © 2023 Jesse Grosjean
- In-App Purchases
- Bike License – Monthly $2.99
- Bike License – Yearly $19.99
Some in‑app purchases, including subscriptions, may be shareable with your family group when Family Sharing is enabled.