Velocity Keyboard is a powerful velocity-sensitive MPE compatible MIDI controller.
- unique velocity sensing algorithm that tracks touch force like no other app
- Four interface layouts: Keyboard, String, Scale, and Drum Pad
- runs as an Audio Unit or as a standalone app
- 8 simultaneous sources of MIDI CC parameter control: touch area, touch force (on devices that support 3D Touch), touch Y-coordinate, velocity to CC and up to four MIDI CC control knobs
- smooth MIDI pitch bending between notes in both string and keyboard layouts
- highlight custom scales in any key
- dedicated MIDI modes for maximum flexibility when controlling non-MPE compatible synthesizers
- pitch bend correction algorithm plays more in-tune with more freedom of expression when bending between notes (compared to similar MIDI controller apps)
- can output velocity as a MIDI CC or aftertouch message to better support synths that aren't designed with velocity sensing in mind
What does this app do differently from our iFretless apps?
- It uses much less RAM because it doesn't load any audio samples
- It has MIDI aftertouch controls, so changes in touch pressure and location that occur after after the start of a note can control MIDI CC parameters
- It supports highlighting notes in custom scales
- It has piano keyboard, scale, and drum pad layout options
- It has updated velocity sensing and pitch correction algorithms
- It has better visibility, making it feel more playable on smaller screens, or with a larger number of rows and columns
- new tuning: Minor thirds.
Ratings and Reviews
Among the best few apps I’ve ever purchased
This app does everything it claims to do amazingly well. I purchased it to add expression to brass, strings and upright bass VIs. Working in Logic with several third party modeled and sampled instruments it was love at first sight ... or ... first touch. Intuitive to set up and customize. Instantly playable and expressive. This beats dedicated hardware controllers that I have used. One thing I will suggest is exploring the velocity range settings as well as the bend range setting right away when you starry playing with this Unlike with some controllers where you sort of assume that the default is going to be the best or close to the best you’ll get - here you have a lot to gain by spending some time modifying the settings. I still don’t know how the developer is detecting velocity on my iPad Air 2. Is it some combination of touch radius and accelerometer data to detect impulse? Whatever the case, this is a brilliant app and the first that I come across that really lets me control VIs the right way.
Most expressive, playable midi controller ... period
Just got the app yesterday. I am stunned and amazed at the expressivity this app offers. I have been using it this morning on an iPad Pro running into Cubase 10 thru iConnectMIDI and playing the SWAM saxes and some Kontakt 3rd party guitar instruments. I have both the Roli Seaboard Blocks keyboard and the Linnstrument (and other ‘less capable’ controllers). This app was much easier to ‘dial in’ from an expression perspective than either of those. I had to make myself break away from the saxes to write this review (my first ever for an app).
I’m not in love with the ‘look’ of the app ... it almost looks out of focus to me ... but I’m way past that. It plays beautifully. I suspect the Linnstrument will be on eBay very soon.
Thanks muchly to the developer for this one. Wow.
Works as advertised
It works great with Laplace, Aparillo, Korg Module, Ravenscroft275, and many other instruments I tested. It knows how fast and hard I tapped on my not-touch-sensitive 2016 iPad screen. Seriously. I’m telling you it works. I know it sounds impossible but I’m telling you, it’s real. And depending on whether the instrument it’s controlling can handle it, it also has aftertouch by how you hold your finger, on the tip versus flat, and of course it has pitch bending by the usual method, and maybe some other stuff, I’m still learning what it does.
The app initially had a few bugs and glitches but the developer quickly crushed them. That’s what I like to see. It’s so reassuring to see a responsive developer who actively maintains their apps.
Developer Response ,
Thanks for reporting this and thanks for staying hopeful. :) Please install the update that released today and contact us if you still have problems.
Data Not Collected
The developer does not collect any data from this app.
Privacy practices may vary, for example, based on the features you use or your age. Learn More
- Mani Consulting Limited Company
- 12.8 MB
- Requires iOS 11.0 or later.
- Requires iPadOS 11.0 or later.
- iPod touch
- Requires iOS 11.0 or later.
- Requires macOS 11.0 or later and a Mac with Apple M1 chip.
- Age Rating
- © 2019 Blue Mangoo
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.