*** This is the professional app to the renowned reference work of Schulze and Dingler covering 804 European species including 2,837 songs and calls known from the 17# CD set! This app is a co-production between Sunbird Images and the German publisher Edition AMPLE. This is the best set of songs and calls for this region ever published.
The app has recently been promoted and positively reviewed by several organizations and institutions:
UK Birding and Wildlife Blog www.viewsfromanurbanlake.co.uk writes:
>> " …this app...is worth it's weight in gold, everything works well and is easy to use, and you wouldn't be able to find anything this good for less."
>> "The home screen is populated with clear photographic icons representing logical groups ... making it very easy to navigate, find and access the species of interest."
Birdwatch Ireland writes:
>> "I must say that I was impressed with how fast and responsive this app is to use, with no noticeable lagging or waiting for sounds to load. Navigating between species is a breeze and, by and large, the selection of “cuts” for most species is very impressive"
>> " ...the user can quickly jump between via the simple but effective control interface."
All species can be browsed according to their taxonomical classification and can thus be easily compared. Spectrograms to all sounds as well as high quality photographs and descriptions to each species are also included. As a novelty and practical advantage, multiple songs and calls of one species are arranged consecutively on separate tracks. Some tracks consist of several calls, which can independently be chosen and played immediately without the need to fast-forward. This adds up to 2,837 bird sounds altogether! Explanations to all recordings are given, bird names are given in English, Latin and German, French, Italian, Spanish and other languages, see below.
This app offers many special features:
– 2,837 songs & calls
– includes 804 European species
– spectrograms to all sounds
– descriptions to all species
– 1,380 photographs
– 750 distribution maps (Europe)
– create your own sighting lists and sort by place, date, group, and name
– make notes for each bird spotted
– display bird names in 19 languages and select sequence:
* English, Latin, Chinese (traditional), Czech, Danish, Dutch, Finnish, French, German, Icelandic, Italian, Japanese, Japanese (romaji), Latvian, Norwegian, Portuguese, Russian, Slovak, Spanish, Swedish *
All updates are free of charge. Once downloaded no internet connection needed – just download the app and start birding!
We are happy, if you like our app. Please don't hesitate to email us if you have any questions or suggestions or comments at firstname.lastname@example.org
Follow us on Facebook:
We hope you are enjoying the app here comes a major update for you:
- a few taxonomic updates have now been implemented:
- Lanius meridionalis is a full species now
- Isabelline Warbler (Iduna opaca) was separated from (Iduna pallida)
- Eastern Orphean Warbler (Sylvia crassirostris now Curruca crassirostris) was separated from Western species: Western Orphean Warbler (Curruca hortensis)
- 150 distribution maps were added
+ additional minor taxonomic updates
- Layout completely updated
- Compare feature added (songs, images and calls can now be compared)
- all sonograms were updated and recreated
- sonograms have kHz + time scale now!
- Sykes’s Warbler call and Pechora Pipit call added
- texts have been revised
- everything is smoother and much faster now
- iPad Pro ready
Please let us now what you think and give us a good rating if you like what we have done, this is much appreciated and helps visibility in the app store. If you have any complaints or suggestions please write to email@example.com as apple does not allow replying to your reviews. Thank you!
Ratings and Reviews
Only English, German, Latin
The descriptions are rather lacking. The option for a Wikipedia description is nice, but of course only works if you have internet access (which you might not when traveling, which is also when you might need the app the most…). Then you might as well have a Xeno-canto link… Would be nice if you could swipe through images. And some illustrations might be nice. Would be nice with the possibility to see global distribution maps. The selection of species, notably vagrants, seems a little arbitrary… (could you include all the species mentioned in the field guide?) The display of similar species is based on visual characteristics, not on similarities of sound/songs. Comparison of species could have a much more user friendly interface. Could have had an option to loop the sounds, and to listen to the sounds while viewing the pictures. I really appreciate the ability to see species name in three languages simultaneously.
Developer Response ,
Thanks for your review. Let me comment on your findings and suggestions. Firstly this app isn't an app made from a field guide rather this is an app made for experienced birders who already know their birds but lack a very good source for bird songs:
- the app was made from the 17 CD set by Schulze & Dingler incl. 2,800 sound samples
- This app provides the best sound collection currently available for the region
- looping sounds is available under each species through the arrow button
- the wiki links is just for additional information. We actually thought of removing this feature as we think it downgrades the apps
- currently we have thorough distribution maps for Europe as this is where the apps focus lies
Make sure you don’t have the ringer off...
I down loaded this app this evening but could not get any sounds. After playing around bit trying to find a solution. I was able to determine that the sound issue was because I had the ringer on mute.
Interestingly other apps could play the sounds through the speaker with the ringer on mute but not this one. I figured this was my issue after I plugged in earphones and could hear the sounds. Once I determined that the sounds did accompany the app, I realize that it was something on my end and thus was able to resolve the issue. I am quite excited to test and learn the sounds of non NA birds.
- Mullen & Pohland GbR
- 1.9 GB
Requires iOS 8.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch.
- Age Rating
- You must be at least 17 years old to download this app.
- Unrestricted Web Access
- © Sunbird Images® 2019
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.