BirdsEye is a unique and powerful tool that helps you discover the birds around you and find the birds you want to see. See more birds with BirdsEye!
BirdsEye is the perfect tool for birders of any level, naturalists and educators. The free version of BirdsEye also includes stunning and detailed photographs from many top birders, bird photographers and guides.
"Best invention for birding since binoculars"... Kenn Kaufman, author of the famed Kaufman Field Guides to Birds of North America
"A landmark in birding"… John Fitzpatrick, Director, Cornell Laboratory of Ornithology
BirdsEye is great for beginning and intermediate birders as a free download. Explore the 100 most common birds near you (or for any spot on earth), and learn about the birds you are most likely to see in your yard or the local park.
When you are ready to see more, paid subscriptions give you access to every countable species in your region or worldwide.
INSTANT BIRD LISTS
• See customized lists of birds reported recently near you, at birding hotspots, or any random point on earth!
• Sea seasonal abundance for each bird for that location
• View recent eBird sightings and get driving directions to each one
INCREASE YOUR LIFE LIST
• See a list of “needs” - species recently reported nearby that aren't on your selected life or year list
• Reports of rare and notable birds in your area and across the ABA region
• Automatically sync your life or year lists with eBird for the ABA area, world, country, state or even county!
• Find additional content in the Bird Guide Store for other continents, including sounds, images and bird-finding tips from local experts.
• Set Favorite Locations for your destinations to scope out recent sightings
• Get driving directions right to any hotspot or sighting
• Support for bird names in several languages
We have partnered with Birdsounds.nl, the premier online store selling bird sounds packages for many regions around the world. Access these extensive collections of bird songs from right inside of BirdsEye.
Currently available sound packages include:
Bird Sounds of Costa Rica, Brazil, Nicaragua, Venezuela, Mexico, Northern Siberia, Sri Lanka, Australia, Peru, Colombia, Belgium and Holland, and Malaysia!
Most BirdsEye functionality is available to all of our users. Certain premium features require a regional or world membership to unlock their full potential. Premium features include:
• More checklists for species on the Rare Bird Alert
• Rare Bird Alert - see the latest reported ABA rarities and eBird checklist
• Search for Notables up to 250 miles from current location
• Unlimited Favorite Locations
• View Bird List for any month of the year
• Downloading content for offline use
A NOTE ON MEMBERSHIPS: In addition to regional memberships, we offer a World membership that gives you access to all of the birds on earth and several other features. Your membership helps pay for our ongoing efforts to create the most innovative and powerful birding apps in the world. We do not and have never earned a profit on the sale of this app, but do it to support the birding community. Memberships, donations and the contributions of photos help us keep making BirdsEye better.
To get your membership, just launch BirdsEye and go to the Store. You'll see a membership option. The first monthly payment will be charged to your iTunes Account when you confirm your purchase.
Your BIRDSEYE memberships and subscriptions renew each month and your iTunes account will be charged automatically. You can turn off auto-renew at any point from your iTunes account settings. See birdseyebirding.com/privacy for more information.
We are committed to supporting the birding community and bird conservation through the eBird project. Our goal is to encourage participation through BirdsEye.
This version includes bugs fixes and performance improvements. Happy birding!
Ratings and Reviews
Wonderful app that I use around the world
You really need to buy the paid version to appreciate this app as well as use eBird. We use it constantly when birding often without a field guide. It’s ability to customize search to an eBird hotspot, showing birds seen in a limited area, a limited timeframe is invaluable. You can even have it tell you what birds you are missing on your life list that have recently been seen. I’ve been using the app for a couple of years now and I’m still discovering useful things that you can do with it. Highly recommended by me at least. My only complaint is that it does not have family sharing for the purchase options. Apparently each person in the family must purchase a license to use it.
More issues over time
There are as many great things about this app as there are bad things. I’ve been paying for the world subscription for several years, yet sometimes when I try to pull up a species account it states that I need to subscribe. Many of the species have top-notch photos, while others have lower quality photos. When you dig into things a bit, one of the reasons for this becomes apparent - a handful of photographers screw with the ratings so excellent photos that are not theirs are scored lower. This is most apparent with many of the Australian species - the same 2-3 photographers are represented across many of the species from this continent. While the information available in this app is robust, loading time is an issue. For example, when one attempts to load a checklist via a species featured in the rare birds section, it can take up to a minute to load the checklist. It’s been like this for at least two years. And no, this isn’t an issue with my phone - I’ve replicated this issue on other phones. Next, getting any sort of response from people who run the app is impossible. I’ve never gotten a response from them (although if BirdsEye has the same owner it had 10 years, this is not surprising). Lastly, each year there seems to be fewer and fewer updates to the app. In fact, I don’t think there have been any in 2021. And in past couple of weeks more things have stopped working on the app.
Essential birding app
This is one of the apps that every birder should have. It tells you which birds to expect at any given time of year in any given area, which is amazingly helpful. The photos and audio files are all excellent quality. For beginners, this app will allow you to easily scroll through the birds in your area, allowing you to potentially identify the bird without flipping through a field guide. More experienced birders will love the frequency bars showing when to expect each bird throughout the year, and the audio files for each species. This app does not give detailed descriptions of birds (such as behaviors and habitat), so it does not replace more in-depth field guides. But for actual usefulness while birding, this app is essential.
No Details Provided
The developer will be required to provide privacy details when they submit their next app update.
- Birds in the Hand, LLC
- 20.5 MB
- Requires iOS 12.0 or later.
- iPod touch
- Requires iOS 12.0 or later.
- Requires macOS 11.0 or later and a Mac with Apple M1 chip or later.
- Age Rating
- © Birds in the Hand, LLC
- In-App Purchases
- US and Canada Membership $2.99
- World Membership $4.99
- US and Canada Membership $29.99
- BirdsEye Mexico, Central America and the Caribbean $1.99
- Europe and the Western Palearctic $1.99
- World Membership $39.99
- South America Membership $1.99
- BirdsEye Africa Membeship $1.99
- Asia Membership $1.99
- BirdsEye - Hawaii and the South Pacific $1.99