Essential security for your Mac!
Bitdefender Virus Scanner finds Mac malware as well as Windows viruses with ease. Virus Scanner will detect any infected files that you downloaded or got in your inbox, so your Mac will be safe and you won’t pass anything bad to your friends’ computer.
Grant Bitdefender Virus Scanner access to the locations on your computer that you want to scan against malware. Choose ‘Deep System Scan’ or ‘Scan Critical Locations’ to scan. The award-winning Bitdefender engines will find that piece of malware. For free!
Make sure your Mac is free of infected files. Don't put your friends and family at risk by unknowingly passing along malware.
- Detects both OS X malware and Windows viruses;
- Before a scan, it updates to detect the latest malware;
- Searches for malware even in archives and inside various types of files such as pdf, pkg, zip, rar, etc.;
- Critical locations scan - rapidly scans system areas that are prone to infections.
- Award-winning Bitdefender antivirus engines;
- Quarantines dangerous files;
- Deep system scan for all the locations the user has granted access to;
- Drag-and-drop scan of files or folders;
- Option to exclude files and folders from scan (i.e. Time Machine backups, etc.)
- Easy-to-use interface.
- Due to sandboxing in the App Store, the app has access only to the locations that the user has explicitly granted access to. Grant access to the entire disk for increased protection;
- Disinfection limited by the privileges of the user running the app;
- Doesn’t scan programs stored in memory.
- Apple M1 compatibility.
- Improvements and bug fixes.
Ratings and ReviewsSee All
Having enormous trouble getting updates to download!
Having enormous trouble getting updates to download! Tried all sorts of trick when getting error messages. Sometimes able to passby the error messages and succeed in downloading the updates. All the tricks failed at my last attempt which has prompted me to say something here! We need help! It really is not working properly anymore.
And just tried to get through to Support and yes the site came up on ;my browser but I could not find the product that I have listed and therefore the site would not allow me to go forward and report my problems and get help. This is NOT good at all!
It works great and the one here is FREE!
Bitdefender has a paid version, yes, but this version is not the one that costs money, this version is 100% FREE! “Bitdefender Virus Scanner”, the thing you see here, is the free one. “Bitdefender Antivirus for Mac” (from their website) and “Bitdefender Virus Scanner Plus” (from the Mac App Store) both cost money. Oh and they also have something else free on their website called “Bitdefender Adware Removal Tool for Mac” but it can only remove TWO adware programs, “Genieo" and “Vsearch”, not a very long list, although to be fair, those are the most common ones.
Anyway the point is, there are some other reviews here which are rather negative and complain about being ripped off out of money. Well none of those apply to this product because it is completely free, right here in the Mac App Store it is listed as free, sure there is a “Plus” version that costs money but if you get this free version you will NOT be charged anything. I am trying this along with the free version of Malwarebytes Antimalware, hopefully using both of them can clean up my Mac from an infection of some malware.
Easy to install, use and VERY effective
I have used Bitdefender for years (Mac only). I am very impressed how Bitdefender has continually improved the ease of installation, updating and use. Very impressive how Bitdefender has reduced the virus deep scan time over the years. If you keep your OS updates current, regularly back ups using Time Machine, run adware and popup blockers in Safari, only download approved software from the App Store, and frequently update and run Bitdefender deep scans, you will significantly decrease your risk of malware exposure. There are no 100% full-proof security solutions, but conscientious and committed user security practices including Bitdefender come close.
Data Not Linked to You
The following data may be collected but it is not linked to your identity:
Privacy practices may vary, for example, based on the features you use or your age. Learn More
- Bitdefender SRL
- 296.6 MB
- Requires macOS 10.9 or later.
English, Dutch, French, German, Italian, Spanish
- Age Rating
- © 1997-2021 Bitdefender. All Rights Reserved.
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.