Essential security for your Mac!
Bitdefender Virus Scanner finds Mac malware as well as Windows viruses with ease. Virus Scanner will detect any infected files that you downloaded or got in your inbox, so your Mac will be safe and you won’t pass anything bad to your friends’ computer.
Grant Bitdefender Virus Scanner access to the locations on your computer that you want to scan against malware. Choose ‘Deep System Scan’ or ‘Scan Critical Locations’ to scan. The award-winning Bitdefender engines will find that piece of malware. For free!
Make sure your Mac is free of infected files. Don't put your friends and family at risk by unknowingly passing along malware.
- Detects both OS X malware and Windows viruses;
- Before a scan, it updates to detect the latest malware;
- Searches for malware even in archives and inside various types of files such as pdf, pkg, zip, rar, etc.;
- Critical locations scan - rapidly scans system areas that are prone to infections.
- Award-winning Bitdefender antivirus engines;
- Quarantines dangerous files;
- Deep system scan for all the locations the user has granted access to;
- Drag-and-drop scan of files or folders;
- Option to exclude files and folders from scan (i.e. Time Machine backups, etc.)
- Easy-to-use interface.
- Due to sandboxing in the App Store, the app has access only to the locations that the user has explicitly granted access to. Grant access to the entire disk for increased protection;
- Disinfection limited by the privileges of the user running the app;
- Doesn’t scan programs stored in memory.
Optimised for Apple's M1 chips
Ratings and Reviews
Disappointed with unapproved VPN install
I've been a user for several year and the product works ok even if a bit clunky at times (I disabled real-time scanning on my MacBook because it used too many resources). I was very disappointed when an update installed their VPN software without opt-in and start nagging me to buy it after every reboot. I'm happy to pay a subscription for security software but installing other softare without approval is unacceptable and feels more like the malware I'm trying to avoid. I'm going to find a different product.
It works great and the one here is FREE!
Bitdefender has a paid version, yes, but this version is not the one that costs money, this version is 100% FREE! “Bitdefender Virus Scanner”, the thing you see here, is the free one. “Bitdefender Antivirus for Mac” (from their website) and “Bitdefender Virus Scanner Plus” (from the Mac App Store) both cost money. Oh and they also have something else free on their website called “Bitdefender Adware Removal Tool for Mac” but it can only remove TWO adware programs, “Genieo" and “Vsearch”, not a very long list, although to be fair, those are the most common ones.
Anyway the point is, there are some other reviews here which are rather negative and complain about being ripped off out of money. Well none of those apply to this product because it is completely free, right here in the Mac App Store it is listed as free, sure there is a “Plus” version that costs money but if you get this free version you will NOT be charged anything. I am trying this along with the free version of Malwarebytes Antimalware, hopefully using both of them can clean up my Mac from an infection of some malware.
mediocre detection, plus no right-click menu
I was previously using avira, then avast but now that I did a fresh install on a new machine, I thought of trying something different, with bitdefender. Because I'm the gatekeeper for security at a few firms, I have a few old bits of malware I sometimes use to test apps. Of the 30 files I had, this program detected 24, which is mediocre (no antivirus is 100%, but some get closer). None of the malware samples I have are even zero-day, with some being 3-5 years old, more than enough time for a virus scanner to detect them.
What really turned me off was that this program doesn't even have right-click access, which makes scanning incoming files so easy! Once you use an app that has right-click access, you'll wonder how you ever got along without it.
In all, this app is just too limited for my tastes. For now I'll go back to avg. Maybe I'll look for something else later and rate it.
Data Not Linked to You
The following data may be collected but it is not linked to your identity:
Privacy practices may vary, for example, based on the features you use or your age. Learn More
- Bitdefender SRL
- 336.8 MB
- Requires macOS 10.10 or later.
English, Dutch, French, German, Italian, Spanish
- Age Rating
- © 1997-2022 Bitdefender. All Rights Reserved.