Explore the algorithmic music of simple bitwise arithmetic operations while watching the retro-digital 3D graphics!
BitWiz Audio Synth translates C-like code expressions into 8-bit generative stereo audio in real-time. The entered code expression is used to calculate each audio frame, also known as "bytebeat" synthesis.
Record your sessions and export through iTunes File Sharing or Audio Copy to other apps, or send them to AudioShare - the audio document manager.
Use the dual multitouch XY-pad or external MIDI control to tweak variables in the expression in real-time. Play BitWiz as a musical instrument or compose algorithmic pieces that evolves by themselves! BitWiz can also include the microphone input for crazy distortion effects!
BitWiz comes bundled with lots of examples, and you can easily add your own codes to the built-in library.
You can also share your codes by e-mail, twitter or facebook, or open them in another application.
You don't need to learn C to use this app, just play around with the included codes and tweak a number here or there, and strange glitchy variations will appear. You can even let BitWiz generate random codes for you with a swipe!
"Killer App" - Apps4idevices
"Amazingly good fun", "App of the week" - PalmSounds
"A most excellent generative noise maker" - Zaxism
"I love the app!" - Discchord
"I just had to add this gem to my list" - Sascha Dikiciyan (Sonic mayhem)
• Real-time BYTEBEAT synthesizer
• Retro-digital 3D VISUALS
• Universal app (iPad, iPhone, iPod touch), landscape and portrait
• Instant update of audio for LIVE-CODING
• Multitouch XY-Pad for TWEAKING/PLAYING in real-time
• Core MIDI support for external control
• RECORD to file and export or AUDIOCOPY into other apps
• Stream the output to other AUDIOBUS compatible apps
• SHARE codes through twitter, email or open in other apps
• Supports bytebeat samplerates 44100, 22050, 14700, 11025, 8820, etc.
• STEREO audio
• Optional MICROPHONE input for distortion effects
• Custom keyboard with arrow-keys for easy editing
• Background audio operation
• Lots of included FACTORY PRESETS
• Transfer codes and recordings through iTunes file sharing
• Swipe with two fingers to generate code randomly!
• Built for 64-bit devices
• Add Inter-App Audio MIDI reception
• Add toggle to turn off receiving from any CoreMIDI source
• Audiobus3 support
• Removed SoundCloud upload (use AudioShare if you really need this)
• Various fixes
Ratings and Reviews
Create Complex Oscillators
BitWiz uses bitwise expressions capable of generating complex rhythms which can loop over extended periods of time. The values of the variables in the equations can be controlled by MIDI CC which if sent by a sequencer can produce output with a rhythm linked to a tempo. Using an app that can generate MIDI by filtering/analyzing audio such as FAC Envolver can result in many happy experiments.
The app uses very little CPU.
I hope the developer will add AUv3 support at some point so we can generate multiple instances. The option to to scale the output to send MIDI messages in addition to or in lieu of the audio would be a very welcome feature.
though it may take some time to learn how it works, it can be used to create music and sounds from piercingly annoying to calm, slow and relaxing. I recommend this to anyone wanting to create glitchy music.
my only problems with it is the lack of operators such as NOT and sin(), and a lack of customization in the base frequency, and finally lack of support for 64 bit numbers.
also an error occasionally occurs with numbers beginning with 0 eg(05, 09)
where it sometimes appears as a syntax error.
Love this app
Annoy your friends!
Feel extra smart!
Make Empires Crumble!
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.